So how long will it be before we’re actually a top, feared and unstoppable team - like we were in the olden days?

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We need 10 more good kids to build with the ones we’ve got. You’d think that would take four years to draft in but we should be able to pick up a few a free agents along the way. We could probably get the team we need together over the next three draft / trade periods - need to be lucky with our drafting.

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I think the first priority is to try and keep most of our players fit. The teams doing well year on year have minimal injuries. We just haven’t had that for a long time now. Sometimes it’s luck and sometimes it’s poor management. We can’t afford to keep 3-4 guys who whilst good footballers don’t make it on the ground game day. A Fit list puts pressure on spots. Pressure on spots causes players to perform week on week. Won’t solve all our problems but will be a bloody good start.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think the first priority is to try and keep most of our players fit. The teams doing well year on year have minimal injuries. We just haven’t had that for a long time now.

Do you reckon a considerable post 2016 rebuild and pumping a lot of kids on to the list might have some impact?

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Do you reckon a considerable post 2016 rebuild and pumping a lot of kids on to the list might have some impact?
Yes I think you are right. In saying that I feel we should try and prioritise the list spots for players that are likely to play 22 games. Especially with smaller list sizes. Jacobs, Garner, Tyson, EVW all good players, all best 22 but alas seem constantly injured. Daw is also in this boat. We can’t keep carrying them. The list is in a good spot I reckon. Not as bad as people on here make out. Add a few more good kids and trade for a few good mid 20 year old types abd I think we are a threat from next year onwards provided Shaw gets them focused.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes I think you are right. In saying that I feel we should try and prioritise the list spots for players that are likely to play 22 games. Especially with smaller list sizes. Jacobs, Garner, Tyson, EVW all good players, all best 22 but alas seem constantly injured. Daw is also in this boat. We can’t keep carrying them. The list is in a good spot I reckon. Not as bad as people on here make out. Add a few more good kids and trade for a few good mid 20 year old types abd I think we are a threat from next year onwards provided Shaw gets them focused.
Show your working please, I don't understand how our injuries are a factor of pumping games into kids. If anything I would think we pump games into kids because we have so many injuries.

Feb 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Show your working please, I don't understand how our injuries are a factor of pumping games into kids. If anything I would think we pump games into kids because we have so many injuries.
I am not really sure where I said that. I think we have had a lot of players who have been able to get continued games due to a lack of pressure for spots. This has compromised standards. Our kids do have a habit of coming in playing some good games and then disappearing for long periods with injuries. LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Walker, zurhar, EVW, Scott all missed extended periods with injuries in their first few years. Some if not all were unavoidable I know. The problem is that coupled with the old players being out constantly like jacobs, Garner, daw means we are always short on selection options. Hopefully we can keep more fit and have some better luck going forward.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
You sure he can live up to the legacy of the 200 game club legend Shaun Atley?
00CE601C-38D0-4707-B192-A652308BFE59.gif

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The last area we haven't gutted is the board as we have gone through the coaches and other staffs at the club. If we continued the gutting from 2016 then right now we might even be challenging. The board is the real issue as they gave brad 1 year to clean out the list but got told to go for experience in 2018, finally he had enough in 2019. Well here we are and it seems that another gutting is required and we need to be far more ruthless than 2016. Last time it was the soon to retire type, this time, the absolute majority of players over 100 games need to go. The only survivors should be Goldstein, Higgins and Tarrant and this is on top of the board as well.

Back