So I went to the Pistons/Jazz game......

Benno355

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So, thought I better check post about my NBA game experience.
Found out in September i'd be travelling to Detriot for work the last week of Oct. Checked the NBA schedule and saw that i'd be in town for the Pistons opening night. Bought 2 x courtside tickets off Stubhub in Sept for $400 US each. Front row, next to the visitors bench. Also get VIP parking and access to the Courtside Club (free food and drinks, ex players and staff hang out there, owner, GM etc)

Started off with arriving, going through security and went to find our seats. Staff were really helpful at every step, then made our way down to the roped off area where players were signing autographs for fans that got there early. Security pushed us through, and we had to weave our way through the Pistons players who were warming up and signing s**t for fans (Drummond is a large man!)
We got to our seats and were presented with a goodie bag. Pistons T shirt, plus Pistons towel. Nice bonus! Sat down for 10 mins to soak it all in. Once the players went back into the change rooms, we made our way to the courtside club. This is where s**t got interesting.

Walked in to the club and were met with a room full of 50 y.o plus cashed up dudes with their trophy wives. Fair to say we felt like fishes out of water. Grabbed a beer, found a piece of the bar to lean up against and the guy next to me started talking to us. He must have thought I was semi *ed as I stood there staring back at him with my mouth open. Tim Hardaway was the guy. His mate came over, a large man named Derrick Coleman! They picked up on the accent pretty quick and assumed I was a retired sports star from AUS. It was hard, but I had to inform them that as unbelievable as it was, I was simply a pleb getting a 5 min taste of a very different world. The GM gave a quick talk to the group, we toasted the team and headed back to our seats.

Back at the seats, the pre-game intros began, national anthem, Pistons promo video playing on the jumbo tron as the stadium went dark (awesome video, with plenty of famous Detroit natives having a cameo)
Game started, action aplenty. Timeouts were almost my favourite part. We were pretty much apart of the timeouts. I didn't realise there are 7 coaches. We actually sat next to 4 of them. They are delivered stats every 5 mins (separate for each coach), they interpret then feedback to the head coach during the first half of a full time out (the assistant coach delivers the message to the players for the first half of the time out) Then the assistant and the head coach swap. Amazing to watch the clock work process.

Halftime entertainment was Cee Lo Green. It was ok. Again, the more impressive part was the ability to roll out a stage and everything with it and then put it away so quick.

Things from the action that really hit home.
Speed was also really cool to see. The size of the guys combined with the speed and agility is really really impressive. 6"10 dudes that looked nimble.
Professionalism: The coaching staff work like clockwork. Every role and action is 100% defined and timed perfectly. Constant communication an no one ever seemed confused or under pressure. Good to see.
Trash talking: Impressive, regular but not as insulting as I thought it would be.
Entertainment: Amazing. Perfect timing, entertaining, but not cheesy. Really enjoyable.

Overall, I was in awe for 4 hours. I would do it again in a heartbeat and would honestly spend double to do it again if I had to.

TLDR version: NBA is good. Courtside is baller. Rich white dudes dress like absolute tools.

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for the report Benno, it sounds like a great time. Shame Dante wasn't playing, but maybe not from a Pistons perspective. I plan to do the same thing in a few years time and score front row seats to see Simmons, Maker, Adel or another Aussie play. Maybe even save my money and do it a couple of times on one trip.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Tim Hardaway was my favourite player growing up. What an experience!

Hope you gave Ingles some love (not aussie aussie ausse oi oi oi though)

Benno355

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Said hi to both. A quick "lets go Joey/Banesy was enough for them to pick up on the Aussie thing. Not like a struck up a conversation or anything though.
Might sound weird but Joey Crawford came across like a decent ref! In complete control and explained reasons for decisions etc.
I also swear that Ingles has as more value as a floor general than really contributing to the stat line. Its like he was the coaches mouth piece when he was our there coach directed everything through Joe.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Found out in September i'd be travelling to Detriot for work the last week of Oct. Checked the NBA schedule and saw that i'd be in town for the Pistons opening night. Bought 2 x courtside tickets off Stubhub in Sept for $400 US each. Front row, next to the visitors bench. Also get VIP parking and access to the Courtside Club (free food and drinks, ex players and staff hang out there, owner, GM etc)

Started off with arriving, going through security and went to find our seats. Staff were really helpful at every step, then made our way down to the roped off area where players were signing autographs for fans that got there early. Security pushed us through, and we had to weave our way through the Pistons players who were warming up and signing s**t for fans (Drummond is a large man!)
We got to our seats and were presented with a goodie bag. Pistons T shirt, plus Pistons towel. Nice bonus! Sat down for 10 mins to soak it all in. Once the players went back into the change rooms, we made our way to the courtside club. This is where s**t got interesting.

Walked in to the club and were met with a room full of 50 y.o plus cashed up dudes with their trophy wives. Fair to say we felt like fishes out of water. Grabbed a beer, found a piece of the bar to lean up against and the guy next to me started talking to us. He must have thought I was semi ******ed as I stood there staring back at him with my mouth open. Tim Hardaway was the guy. His mate came over, a large man named Derrick Coleman! They picked up on the accent pretty quick and assumed I was a retired sports star from AUS. It was hard, but I had to inform them that as unbelievable as it was, I was simply a pleb getting a 5 min taste of a very different world. The GM gave a quick talk to the group, we toasted the team and headed back to our seats.

Back at the seats, the pre-game intros began, national anthem, Pistons promo video playing on the jumbo tron as the stadium went dark (awesome video, with plenty of famous Detroit natives having a cameo)
Game started, action aplenty. Timeouts were almost my favourite part. We were pretty much apart of the timeouts. I didn't realise there are 7 coaches. We actually sat next to 4 of them. They are delivered stats every 5 mins (separate for each coach), they interpret then feedback to the head coach during the first half of a full time out (the assistant coach delivers the message to the players for the first half of the time out) Then the assistant and the head coach swap. Amazing to watch the clock work process.

Halftime entertainment was Cee Lo Green. It was ok. Again, the more impressive part was the ability to roll out a stage and everything with it and then put it away so quick.

Speed was also really cool to see. The size of the guys combined with the speed and agility is really really impressive. 6"10 dudes that looked nimble.
Professionalism: The coaching staff work like clockwork. Every role and action is 100% defined and timed perfectly. Constant communication an no one ever seemed confused or under pressure. Good to see.
Trash talking: Impressive, regular but not as insulting as I thought it would be.
Entertainment: Amazing. Perfect timing, entertaining, but not cheesy. Really enjoyable.

Overall, I was in awe for 4 hours. I would do it again in a heartbeat and would honestly spend double to do it again if I had to.

TLDR version: NBA is good. Courtside is baller. Rich white dudes dress like absolute tools.

Awesome read. This really does make the AFL look like little league.

Benno355

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
How did Quinn Snyder come across as a coach/did he give any good sprays? He has one of the best death stares, he looks like he will completely snap one day
Dude was cooler than the other side of the pillow. Very impressive coaching staff process throughout the match. I didn't hear him criticize a player or even gave an unhappy glare towards any advise/suggestions from one of the assistants. Every action or reaction from him looked measured.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Walked in to the club and were met with a room full of 50 y.o plus cashed up dudes with their trophy wives. Fair to say we felt like fishes out of water. Grabbed a beer, found a piece of the bar to lean up against and the guy next to me started talking to us. He must have thought I was semi ******ed as I stood there staring back at him with my mouth open. Tim Hardaway was the guy. His mate came over, a large man named Derrick Coleman! They picked up on the accent pretty quick and assumed I was a retired sports star from AUS. It was hard, but I had to inform them that as unbelievable as it was, I was simply a pleb getting a 5 min taste of a very different world. The GM gave a quick talk to the group, we toasted the team and headed back to our seats.

Cost me $1000 us for 2 tickets in section 119 at cavs v knicks at the garden next week. Feeling a little ripped off now

Benno355

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm guessing as it was the Pistons vs Utah in Detroit it made the tickets a little cheaper.
You get to see Lebron vs the Knicks at the Garden in decent seats. It will be amazing!

bombersbackyard

Debutant
Jul 27, 2015
Timbucktoo
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Awesome post, glad you had a great time, I would love to go to a warriors game. This reminds me of a school kid telling his recount 'on the holidays we went to....' Except we are big kids now :)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm guessing as it was the Pistons vs Utah in Detroit it made the tickets a little cheaper.
You get to see Lebron vs the Knicks at the Garden in decent seats. It will be amazing!
Certainly hope so. Im a massive cavs fan and we booked our trip back in may, just got super lucky the cavs were playing in ny whilst we are there.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Looks like you had an awesome time. Just a shame exum wasnt playing

Back