Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

You have deflected the question. I’ll ask again.

Does the amount of teams in Victoria affect the way you enjoy the game?
Yes and not just Vic teams, but they have the majority worth culling.

Talent pool is spread too thin. Lots of players getting games that shouldn't.

14 teams would be perfect. 26 round season play everyone twice.

Fair fixture, better quality games, season goes for longer. Would greatly improve the way I enjoy the game.

Nope.

It's time for clubs to fold that can't survive
10 teams in Victoria are too many and gold coast can fold as well.
For the games sake I dont have a problem with gold coast.
To grow the game you need to have 2 teams in each state. And growth in Qld & nsw is imperative.
If they fall before a Melbourne team I will be livid.

Yes and not just Vic teams, but they have the majority worth culling.

Talent pool is spread too thin. Lots of players getting games that shouldn't.

14 teams would be perfect. 26 round season play everyone twice.

Fair fixture, better quality games, season goes for longer. Would greatly improve the way I enjoy the game.
Not playing every second game in Melbourne, or tasmania so some broke vic club can scam money out of the tassie gov.

You're not wrong, but it's all relative. You don't need every club selling out big stadiums every week to have a healthy competition. We talk about crowds of 30K as pathetic when on global sporting standards they are pretty good. More than pretty good when you consider it's a sport played by half a country.

Let the dust settle on this whole viris crisis. If we've looked at all of the options and it becomes apparent that the league can't sustain some of the smaller clubs, then there will be no option but to remove some of them. But let's not just casually go about condemning 150 year old organisations because the sport is facing a temporary halt in operations.

Obsession with crowds is AFL-centric. Overseas clubs like Tottenham build new stadiums to get more fans in because they own the stadiums and pocket the extra money. If you get 30k to the MCG one week then the next you play Collingwood and get 50k then great, but how much of that money goes in the pocket of the home club? There are no teams in Melbourne financially constrained by locking out spectators. Geelong are better off than many teams because they have their own ground with a favourable deal. They make more money out of Geelong than they do out of the MCC/AFL.

The league would be better (ie a higher standard and fairer) with fewer teams and a H&A fixture, but I am not advocating cutting anyone. That time has passed and we are stuck with the hybrid mess we have. With the AFL model you cannot justify cutting any team in Vic, SA or WA while GC and GWS are running around. If you remove (not relocate, but that's another topic) any team the TV rights deal immediately reverts to 8 games per round anyway.

Sounds like the Western Australian teams are having to cut costs as well at the moment--- all clubs are feeling the pain from the change of financial situation.

Are you really that tone deaf??

Every club is cutting stuff as there was a directive from AFL house to cut weekly salaries down to 25 000 per month.

Every club will experience pain from this. Whether that pain is a short term losses or long term suffering is dependent in each clubs financial position and ability to recover.

I have not seen one article or person connected to the industry that suggests either WA club is in jeopardy of folding.

Obsession with crowds is AFL-centric. Overseas clubs like Tottenham build new stadiums to get more fans in because they own the stadiums and pocket the extra money. If you get 30k to the MCG one week then the next you play Collingwood and get 50k then great, but how much of that money goes in the pocket of the home club? There are no teams in Melbourne financially constrained by locking out spectators. Geelong are better off than many teams because they have their own ground with a favourable deal. They make more money out of Geelong than they do out of the MCC/AFL.
This is kind of what I was alluding to in terms of looking at all of the options. We need to set these games up so that they can be profitable. Right now there are far too many parties who want a slice of the action and that isn't going to be sustainable going forward.

Every club is cutting stuff as there was a directive from AFL house to cut weekly salaries down to 25 000 per month.

Every club will experience pain from this. Whether that pain is a short term losses or long term suffering is dependent in each clubs financial position and ability to recover.

I have not seen one article or person connected to the industry that suggests either WA club is in jeopardy of folding.

But if the two Western Australian clubs were able to "stand on their own two feet" (your words-- not mine), they wouldn't be needing to follow the directives of the AFL & require AFL funds to continue to pay the expenses they had.

You're incredibly tone deaf to this situation & don't understand that ALL clubs need support from the AFL.

But if the two Western Australian clubs were able to "stand on their own two feet" (your words-- not mine), they wouldn't be needing to follow the directives of the AFL & require AFL funds to continue to pay the expenses they had.

You're incredibly tone deaf to this situation & don't understand that ALL clubs need support from the AFL.

They are able to stand on their own two feet, West Coast receives one of the lowest financial distributions and yet is still number 1 in the league in terms of revenue, profit and assets.

1585469322206.png

If that isn't standing on your own two feet I don't know what is.

This is kind of what I was alluding to in terms of looking at all of the options. We need to set these games up so that they can be profitable. Right now there are far too many parties who want a slice of the action and that isn't going to be sustainable going forward.

The only way to make money is to sell memberships at a premium or attract sponsors.

For years people opined how AFL ownership of Docklands would fix "stadium deals" and for years I said to be careful what you wish for. The AFL now own Docklands and North still play in Tassie, WB play in Ballarat, Hawthorn still play in Tassie despite rarely playing at Docklands, Melbourne play in Darwin and Alice despite rarely playing at Docklands and St Kilda agreed to play in China.

The AFL are now in the enviable position where they control who you play and where, and own your home ground, and also manage payments to clubs.

They are able to stand on their own two feet, West Coast receives one of the lowest financial distributions and yet is still number 1 in the league in terms of revenue, profit and assets.

View attachment 849015

If that isn't standing on your own two feet I don't know what is.
So what's WA going to do to save the league after the coronavirus pandemic ends? I'm all for ideas but I fail to see how a two team state is going to save the current league. But hell apparantly the Eagles have enough cash to prop it all up on their own.

It just tells me that there aren’t a lot of brains in WA. I mean only an idiot would not only beg to join a football league that was broke but then gladly cough up a large financial penalty just to join said bankrupt league. If they had any smarts about them they would have started their own comp and pick off teams from the VFL’s rotting carcass. Now the OP wants WA to repeat their past mistakes 😳
Mate their rich people dig holes for a living and sell rocks. What do you think the intelligence levels are like? The longest word in their vocabulary is boooooooooo.

So what's WA going to do to save the league after the coronavirus pandemic ends? I'm all for ideas but I fail to see how a two team state is going to save the current league. But hell apparantly the Eagles have enough cash to prop it all up on their own.

We aren't the saviours of the league. We should be doing what we need to do to look after our own club. As should every club.

Just saying that this event could result in a scenario where we see a couple of Melbourne clubs not part of the league in a couple of year, and there is merit to that discussion, and potential benefits of streamlining the competition and rationalising the number of teams in Melbourne.

You guys are a sensitive bunch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the AFL coming in, how was that even avoidable? We were just going to remain a state league while the rest of the country become a national league? Wtf kind of logic is that? I can turn around and use the exact same logic as you. VFL sold out and became a national league too. Or doesnt it apply when the shoe is on the other foot? Lol. Were people meant to stick to watching West Perth playing South Freo instead of watching a new Perth side play Melbourne? Are we meant to be ashamed of that? What a useless argument.

Its pathetic really, that 35 years later, with our successes in mutiple team turn overs in mutiple draft generations, theres old boomers like you that still feel a need to negate WCs successes. 60% of WCs supporters werent even alive before West Coast.

Whatever, we will keep winning flags and you can keep being a basketcase with a "soul". 😂

I was gonna reply but couldn't get past the "old boomers" comment 😂😂 too funny

Its pathetic really, that 35 years later, with our successes in mutiple team turn overs in mutiple draft generations, theres old boomers like you that still feel a need to negate WCs successes. 60% of WCs supporters werent even alive before West Coast.

The West Coast Eagles first season was in 1987--- aka. 33 years ago.

The median age of Western Australians is 36

Source: https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/5

That means that 50% of the WA population is older than the West Coast Eagles.

So either the Eagles really struggled to gain an supporter base when it first started or your statistic is flawed.

Mate their rich people dig holes for a living and sell rocks. What do you think the intelligence levels are like? The longest word in their vocabulary is boooooooooo.
Mate , you just sound like a disgruntled and bitter Vic to me. probably never travelled outside of Richmond.

Source: https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/5

So either the Eagles really struggled to gain an supporter base when it first started or your statistic is flawed.
So have you allowed for births......and deaths? Pathetic post.

The only way to make money is to sell memberships at a premium or attract sponsors.

For years people opined how AFL ownership of Docklands would fix "stadium deals" and for years I said to be careful what you wish for. The AFL now own Docklands and North still play in Tassie, WB play in Ballarat, Hawthorn still play in Tassie despite rarely playing at Docklands, Melbourne play in Darwin and Alice despite rarely playing at Docklands and St Kilda agreed to play in China.

The AFL are now in the enviable position where they control who you play and where, and own your home ground, and also manage payments to clubs.

The Saints, North and I believe the Dogs haven't had a stadium deal since the mid/late 2000's, hows the AFL owning it now going to make us worse off than previously when the AFL also controlled who played when and where. All 5 clubs want to play less games at the Docklands and more at the MCG because the returns are that much better. When the AFL does a deal with the Docklands stadium that forces clubs to write cheques to the stadium for crowds under 27/30k its not hard to understand why they are desperately searching for a way to make money

WC get 77% of all gate earnings

Docklands pays 36%, but only you we got over 30K in attendance
seems a bit of a disparity.

as for Sponsors, how are again these 3 clubs going to attract sponsors when due to the AFL's policy of prioritising attendance and TV see Rich/Coll/Ess/Carl get all the primetime slots and they are left to the Sunday slots with no TV coverage (I think the Saints were on FTA 7 times last year). What Sponsor would want to back one of those teams vs the aforementioned ones, and the rates would be vastly different, Collingwood 7 fridays night slots vs Saints. 7 time TOTAL, or WC 22 games in WA.
as for memberships, Saints have set membership records for like 3 of the last 4 years and would of again this year...

and people moan when they see the distributions and continually see these 3 clubs near the top of the list. I could understand these arguments if these clubs were all afforded a level playing field, but they're not, far far from it, and the imbalance is becoming bigger

Last edited:
So have you allowed for births......and deaths? Pathetic post.

I’m not sure how Births & Deaths between 1987 & 2020 change the median age of the WA population in 2016 still being 36 :rolleyes:

Founded in 1986. And most 2 years old have no allegiance to a team. I stand by it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back