So I've been away from anything football for the last 6 days

Remove this Banner Ad

Start with the gameday thread. ;)
To summarise ten pages of all your frustrations into one simple, easy point...over to The Cut?

I have nfi - but everyone has a case of the sads. I watched the game on Saturday and I saw a 2nd tier team with a third of their best 22 and a third of their entire list injured and funnily enough they struggled?!?!

Everyone wanted the second half to improve, but unfortunately this is the year that keeps on giving!

The ebbs and flows of football I guess. I wouldn't take it too seriously - It's just one of those weeks where all the prerequisite conditions for a meltdown were in place: a promise of improvement over the previous weeks that was shot down in flames quickly, an interstate 'home' game, a game against a perceived 'weaker' opposition side, injury troubles, ridiculous errors (Spencer and Garland's brain-fades come to mind, as does Blease's bizarre 50m penalty and Howe's creative first aid) and then, to top it all off, the realisation that there's always next year, but it's still six ******* rounds away.

The ebbs and flows of football I guess. I wouldn't take it too seriously - It's just one of those weeks we're all the prerequisite conditions for a meltdown were in place: a promise of improvement over the previous weeks that was shot down in flames quickly, an interstate 'home' game, a game against a perceived 'weaker' opposition side, injury troubles, ridiculous errors (Spencer and Garland's brain-fades come to mind, as does Blease's bizarre 50m penalty and Howe's creative first aid) and then, to top it all off, the realisation that there's always next year, but it's still six ******* rounds away.

I've been waiting for "next year" for too long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's not only just the realisation, but the acceptance that most of the players on our list are not even close to a quality AFL standard. And collectively as a team, well our results speak for themselves really don't they.

For me, I still haven't even watched the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarters yet.

I guess I was out drinking and just getting casual update but allowed myself somewhere along the night to think we were going to win; only to find that we finished off the game (2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters) with a grand total of 3 goals. Don't care how s**t our fwd line is many injured players we have, one goal a quarter is not okay.

Then I hear that we had more i50s and broke even in clearance, amassed more marks and laid a s**t load more tackles than Port; and I think to myself "Our backline is supposed to be our strength, for years we've been conceding i50s to opposition teams like they're going out of fashion and it's always been the backline that stands up. But apparently they've checked out for the year now."

Okay, a fair way over the top. But I was drunk.

And Paul Stewart kicked 5 goals. I mean, FFS...

Not to mention Port were missing Schulz, Gray and Butcher all capable goal kickers. People on this thread and other threads somewhat accepting the result becuase we had injuries. Get you head out of the sand injuries or no injuries we are a complete rabble and if not for the two new expansion teams would be looking at another wooden spoon! Stop blaming Bailey as it is completely his fault, the mess we are in was a collective effort from coach to admin to the last player on the list. I was no big fan of Bailey but for all the yelling and screaming Neeld has down he has diddly squat to show for it, Jones, is about the only bloke who has improved under Neeld.

Under Neeld we are less fitter, less skilled, worse game plan and in a worse position. I would argue despite what condition ther players were in when Neeld took over they have gone backwards this year which is a disgarce!!! You might argue this is a long term plan blah blah fact is we shouldn't be this far behind the 8-ball.

Not to mention Port were missing Schulz, Gray and Butcher all capable goal kickers. People on this thread and other threads somewhat accepting the result becuase we had injuries. Get you head out of the sand injuries or no injuries we are a complete rabble and if not for the two new expansion teams would be looking at another wooden spoon! Stop blaming Bailey as it is completely his fault, the mess we are in was a collective effort from coach to admin to the last player on the list. I was no big fan of Bailey but for all the yelling and screaming Neeld has down he has diddly squat to show for it, Jones, is about the only bloke who has improved under Neeld.

Under Neeld we are less fitter, less skilled, worse game plan and in a worse position. I would argue despite what condition ther players were in when Neeld took over they have gone backwards this year which is a disgarce!!! You might argue this is a long term plan blah blah fact is we shouldn't be this far behind the 8-ball.

Have a look at the body shapes of the playing lists from Collingwood and Geelong (the benchmark teams for the last few years) and then compare them to the body shapes of our list

Even Collingwoods skinny players are better proportioned than our players.

They are all big in the shoulders (can dish out and receive body contact) and strong in the trunk (power to break tackles and burst away)

This is what we talk about when we talk about fitness.

Neeld / Misson / Craig are changing the players body shapes and in order to do this they are still flogging them in training sessions when in reality, all of this should be completed in pre season (the heavy sessions). This has to be done to fast track the process some what.

So to me it's no great surprise our players can't run out a full game. Kicking skills are also effected by this because the players legs are flogged therefore reducing their penetration in their kicking, their speed etc.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't account for brain farts and poor decision making, but that will come in time as they master the plan (a complete 180 degree shift from Bailey's plan), trust eachother to play the plan and get their fitness up to scratch

I know everyone is emotional about how the year has panned it, it's been tough as supporters, especially when people expect a new coach to magically transform things over night. It is long term, but IMO not as long term as people are making out.

The players will have a heavy preseason but the loads will be reduced at the right times to ensure freshness for the games, something the coaching team hasn't had the luxury of this year.

As I've said before, I support Neeld and his plan, and yes....it remains to be seen if he'll succeed. But it's better than plodding along under Bailey where they were superstars one week and beaten by 186 points the next.

Have a look at the body shapes of the playing lists from Collingwood and Geelong (the benchmark teams for the last few years) and then compare them to the body shapes of our list

Even Collingwoods skinny players are better proportioned than our players.

They are all big in the shoulders (can dish out and receive body contact) and strong in the trunk (power to break tackles and burst away)

This is what we talk about when we talk about fitness.

Neeld / Misson / Craig are changing the players body shapes and in order to do this they are still flogging them in training sessions when in reality, all of this should be completed in pre season (the heavy sessions). This has to be done to fast track the process some what.

So to me it's no great surprise our players can't run out a full game. Kicking skills are also effected by this because the players legs are flogged therefore reducing their penetration in their kicking, their speed etc.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't account for brain farts and poor decision making, but that will come in time as they master the plan (a complete 180 degree shift from Bailey's plan), trust eachother to play the plan and get their fitness up to scratch

I know everyone is emotional about how the year has panned it, it's been tough as supporters, especially when people expect a new coach to magically transform things over night. It is long term, but IMO not as long term as people are making out.

The players will have a heavy preseason but the loads will be reduced at the right times to ensure freshness for the games, something the coaching team hasn't had the luxury of this year.

As I've said before, I support Neeld and his plan, and yes....it remains to be seen if he'll succeed. But it's better than plodding along under Bailey where they were superstars one week and beaten by 186 points the next.

I wasn't expecting miracles but we are way off were we where last year. Time will tell if it is for better or worse!

I wasn't expecting miracles but we are way off were we where last year. Time will tell if it is for better or worse!

We're way off where we were last year because of what I said above

We're flat and tired because out mid season training sessions are as gruelling as our pre season training sessions

This wouldn't be the case if we had reasonable "fitness" levels (i.e. big bodies and big tanks)

And yes time will tell and (not pre-emptively saying Neeld will be sacked) but it's more than possible another coach will receive the spoils for Neeld's hard work

Look at Sanderson....he's enjoying the fruits of Neil Craig leaving him an experienced, disciplined, hard bodied mature team

We're way off where we were last year because of what I said above

We're flat and tired because out mid season training sessions are as gruelling as our pre season training sessions

This wouldn't be the case if we had reasonable "fitness" levels (i.e. big bodies and big tanks)

And yes time will tell and (not pre-emptively saying Neeld will be sacked) but it's more than possible another coach will receive the spoils for Neeld's hard work

Look at Sanderson....he's enjoying the fruits of Neil Craig leaving him an experienced, disciplined, hard bodied mature team

You may be right, i just have the feeling players are using the heavy training load and learning a new game plan as a cop out for poor performances. No doubt one of the big issues will be solved at seasons end, there are numerous players who arent in line with Neelds thoughts and we need to get rid of them accordingly, Moloney being the biggest culprit and im thinking Ricky P is in the same mindset.

You may be right, i just have the feeling players are using the heavy training load and learning a new game plan as a cop out for poor performances. No doubt one of the big issues will be solved at seasons end, there are numerous players who arent in line with Neelds thoughts and we need to get rid of them accordingly, Moloney being the biggest culprit and im thinking Ricky P is in the same mindset.

Disagree.

I can't recall players saying they were flat and tired because of training loads, I honestly think the playing group is utterly shattered

I don't buy into all of the hype of disharmony the media, opposition supporters and some of our own "supporters" do

I honestly believe the playing group can see light at the end of the tunnel

There will be no mass exodus, only those cut who Neeld doesn't see as fitting the mold.

Disagree.

I can't recall players saying they were flat and tired because of training loads, I honestly think the playing group is utterly shattered

I don't buy into all of the hype of disharmony the media, opposition supporters and some of our own "supporters" do

I honestly believe the playing group can see light at the end of the tunnel

There will be no mass exodus, only those cut who Neeld doesn't see as fitting the mold.

I was more refering to you using the training as reason why we are so crap! Everytime a player is interviewed they always say learning this new game plan is going to take time, basically an excuse to why their performance is so dismal. You could almost cull 15-20 players who arent up to standard trouble is you can't get rid of them all at once, yes we need to give some time to develop but i think first port of call is to delist/trade the ones that don't even want learn or adapt to the new game plan.

I was more refering to you using the training as reason why we are so crap! Everytime a player is interviewed they always say learning this new game plan is going to take time, basically an excuse to why their performance is so dismal. You could almost cull 15-20 players who arent up to standard trouble is you can't get rid of them all at once, yes we need to give some time to develop but i think first port of call is to delist/trade the ones that don't even want learn or adapt to the new game plan.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything is rosey and I understand we have some major deadwood on the list

But I also know fortunes can change quickly

If we draft well this draft, we can effectively build a very good midfield quickly

Our "bookends" are looking ok, we need pacey mids who use the ball well

I know this year has been horrid, after enduring a few very lean years, but we must give Neeld time to assess who's up to it and who's not, and a chance for him to assemble his own team

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything is rosey and I understand we have some major deadwood on the list

But I also know fortunes can change quickly

If we draft well this draft, we can effectively build a very good midfield quickly

Our "bookends" are looking ok, we need pacey mids who use the ball well

I know this year has been horrid, after enduring a few very lean years, but we must give Neeld time to assess who's up to it and who's not, and a chance for him to assemble his own team

I dont share your optimism, we have a lot of work to do and are starting further behind GC and GWS! A couple of pacey mids in this years draft will help, but is only small percentage of what is wrong with the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back