So, the final results of our offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
We came into the 2017 offseason with picks 16, 35, 54, 73 and 91.

In the end, we traded away every one of those picks, and also lost Lever, Cameron and Wigg.

In return, we ended up with Gibbs, Gibson, Fogarty, McPherson, an extra 1st round pick next year (Melbourne), and upgraded our 2nd (Carlton), 3rd (Carlton), and 4th (Melbourne) round picks next year. And I suppose add young Edwards to that list too.

Not bad, all told :thumbsu: The Crows' record of turning crap situations into a win continues! Now let's see if we can keep these players.

We came into the 2017 offseason with picks 16, 35, 54, 73 and 91.

In the end, we traded away every one of those picks, and also lost Lever, Cameron and Wigg.

In return, we ended up with Gibbs, Gibson, Fogarty, McPherson, an extra 1st round pick next year (Melbourne), and upgraded our 2nd (Carlton), 3rd (Carlton), and 4th (Melbourne) round picks next year. And I suppose add young Edwards to that list too.

Not bad, all told :thumbsu: The Crows' record of turning crap situations into a win continues! Now let's see if we can keep these players.
Agree not a bad result. I’d give the off Season an 8.5/10. Although Lever and Cameron are big losses, they are offset getting Gibbs, and hopefully Galluci and Doedee have a big pre season and stake a claim in the first 22. I’m excited to see what these 2 can do. Add Milera into the mix and there’s a lot to look forward to in 2018. (I’m not expecting much AFL from Fogarty and McPherson in 2018).

I’m still annoyed at Lever. But Cameron I think we can cover

CC I thought had a pretty poor year and should have been dropped more than once

Gov effectively missed well over half a season due to injury and if Hampton can get his body right he could play back like he did for GWS

Lever will hurt but Gibbs is an improvement based on the position he plays

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon we will miss Cameron more than Lever

McPherson if he gets his body right could play a bit next year

Fogarty needs 2 pre seasons but might get a taste for exposure

Keys for next year are Milera Doedee B Crouch Galluci and Hampton

If all these guys come on like they should we should cover our losses and be stronger in the future

Looking forward to our 2018 draft already , hopefully post a flag !

Given the hand we were dealt by Lever and CC we did bloody well.
+1

Never ideal to lose players, but we got a good return on both the ones we didn’t want to go (and also the one we likely would have delisted). Then, we turned our return into the best SA prospect in a number of years, as well as a very good player in our area of weakness. Smart list management, there

Think we did well getting what we did for both the Snake and CC. Getting Gibbs and Gibson were ok, we boosted our 2018 picks and somehow managed to land two highly regarded SA boys and hopefully finish it off tomorrow with a mini Zooma.
All in all this takes a slight dent off the GF pain. Not much, but I think the team has done well again this off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron and Lever forced us to eat yet another s**t sandwich and the wider footy community bitched at us when we said we didn't like the taste. So all in all, a fairly typical Crows off season.

In all seriousness though, aside from overpaying for Gibbs I think we made the best of a bad situation.

Cameron and Lever forced us to eat yet another s**t sandwich and the wider footy community bitched at us when we said we didn't like the taste. So all in all, a fairly typical Crows off season.

In all seriousness though, aside from overpaying for Gibbs I think we made the best of a bad situation.

We swapped Cameron & change for Gibbs. A great deal

We ended up improving our 2017 1st round draft position which landed us Fogarty

We basically swapped Wigg for McPherson

Gibbs adds midfield A class quality and Gibson add to our midfield depth and provides us with a genuine tagging midfield option

Landed a extra 1stbround pick for 2018 and upgraded 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks

A very good off season

We swapped Cameron & change for Gibbs. A great deal
Do people not watch other games outside of the Crows?

Gibbs isn't just a decent pickup. He is a gun. He is a much better player than people are giving him credit for.

I expect it will take 4 or 5 rounds next year before the bandwagon starts filling up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What we did we did well, but we lost another 2 players we wanted to keep.

That s**t has to stop.
Nope .....Gillion is on the record as saying he wants greater player movement, and the current level is a start .....hence one of the reasons he wants a mid-season draft

Get used to it .......more $$$$ in the game & the AFL's desire will see player movement increase

Nope .....Gillion is on the record as saying he wants greater player movement, and the current level is a start .....hence one of the reasons he wants a mid-season draft

Get used to it .......more $$$$ in the game & the AFL's desire will see player movement increase
Let me rephrase, we’ve got to stop losing quality players above the competition average.

We played in a GF and we still lost 2 quality players.

Last edited:
Think we’re a better team next year and 2 people closer to our no dickheads policy.
We'll be a better team in 2018 because we've added 2 quality Midfielders (Gibbs, Gibson) + have another development year into 3 quality young mids (Milera, Gallucci, Poholke) .........make no mistake, we lost games in 2017 because of our inconsistent midfield

We now have a proper tagger :thumbsu: ........we will replace Lever :thumbsu: ......the team will have a harder edge & play a different style (less flamboyance) :thumbsu:

The only player we don't have a replacement for the strengths he brought is Smith :thumbsdown: .....i'm 50/50 on replacing Charlie ??

Do people not watch other games outside of the Crows?

Gibbs isn't just a decent pickup. He is a gun. He is a much better player than people are giving him credit for.

I expect it will take 4 or 5 rounds next year before the bandwagon starts filling up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
This ! ......plus he performed in a bad side .....now in a good side, he also adds " who do the opposition tag ? Sloane, M.Crouch, Gibbs - and then the best of the lot B.Crouch gets even more freedom" .......i'm drooling at the possibilities

In my opinion we recieved overs for all 3 of Lever, CC and Wigg which way more than offsets any slight overs we payed for Gibbs.

Gibson will be a great recruit. Cards fell beautifully with the kids we drafted and we have 2 first rounders waiting in the wings to step up and cover anyone we lost. We also shouted out a Big F.U to the VFL media stooges and shed a bit of that nice guy easybeat image we have had for years along the way.

This has been as good a trading season as I can remember in recent history.

Forget Coaching changes, I would love to see us make a big play for Dodoro next season.

Let me rephrase, we’ve got to stop losing quality players above the completion average.

We played in a GF and we still lost 2 quality players.
We could have kept Charlie ......but i'd take Fogarty for Charlie every day

You simply won't stop $$$Grandfather offers to players that 30% above even your highest "responsible" offer ..........because you didn't immediately see the impact of Levers request, doesn't mean there wouldn't be one

Sydney get Franklin .....lose 3 players including Mummy (IMO heart & Soul of Syd)

We Lose Lever ....retain Gov & M.Crouch (example)

In my opinion we recieved overs for all 3 of Lever, CC and Wigg which way more than offsets any slight overs we payed for Gibbs.

Gibson will be a great recruit. Cards fell beautifully with the kids we drafted and we have 2 first rounders waiting in the wings to step up and cover anyone we lost. We also shouted out a Big F.U to the VFL media stooges and shed a bit of that nice guy easybeat image we have had for years along the way.

This has been as good a trading season as I can remember in recent history.

Forget Coaching changes, I would love to see us make a big play for Dodoro next season.
Loved your post till this :drunk: ......you applaud our trading / Drafting, but then say, lets replace those that did a great job in your view ? .....confusing

The question can be answered simply, by would we have done anything differently?

Lever - only way of may be keeping him would be to make him our highest paid player, which would be unfair for a top players & give us cap issues next year when re-signing Sloane, Mrouch, Laird, etc. So was right move to trade him & most importantly get good value for him that has enabled us to land Gibbs & improve our 2018 superdraft picks... particularly as we have Doedee ready to go.

Cameron - Do we hold on to him against his will, where his mind will likely be again missing, giving less trade value next year, or get super value this year, which enabled us to land a potential gun Fogerty. No brainer.

Wigg who Pyke doesn't believe suits our game plan, so we trade him in everyone's best interests & enables us to land McPherson, another top SA talent.

Gibbs - No doubt we paid overs, but we had no choice, as we can't wait another year, with the loss of 3x best 22 players with Smith also injured. Wouldn't reverse the deal & given we got great value with trades out, we could afford paying overs.

Gibson - gave up a pick we weren't even going to use to get midfield depth, given we had 3 experienced outs, to keep our squad balanced.

2 great draft picks of local talent & we land Edwards as a rookie.

Wouldn't change a thing Reid & Haggis have done as think they have nailed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back