So, the final results of our offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved your post till this :drunk: ......you applaud our trading / Drafting, but then say, lets replace those that did a great job in your view ? .....confusing

Never said replace. More like welcome him to the team. An addition not a replacement.

Let me rephrase, we’ve got to stop losing quality players above the completion average.

We played in a GF and we still lost 2 quality players.
I think this is just the start of the trend. If interstate clubs are keen on any of our players, it will be only the elite ones, or potential elite. The mediocre teams will also have more leverage as they are likely to have more room in their salary cap space.

Got the best deal we could for Lever.
Got a great deal for Cameron and got Darcy into the club. I think we will miss Cameron more than people understand as I dont see a replacement for him, but Darcy is worth it.
Good work in getting two firsts for Lever were undone by Reid getting bent over by SOS for Gibbs. He was desperate to get an in to cover the outs and blinked. History will now go on to show the results. If we dont win a flag and players like Bonar and Higgins become guns than it would be another Carey mistake.
Gibson is a nothing, and Knight is a better option as a tagger in any event. When you using up a list spot up on a 30 yo Norf delisting then its nothing to boast about.
The list has gone backwards short term with the loss of Lever and Cameron for Gibbs and Gibson, but happy with the two SA boys we drafted and bringing in Jackson in the RD. Still dont understand why we didnt just put him on the main list when we have a spare spot we arnt using, but obviously we have cap issues.
I see us going backwards slightly next year, around 4th-6th.

The huge win for this year was the improving of our draft position for next year. Extra first and upgraded second, third and fourth in a massive draft for this footy club is a major win. As for the list, also a win IMO. Gibbs is not only elite, but he is exactly what our club needs, elite midfield use to capitalise on the best forward line in the comp. The snake is a wonderful player but his lack of one on one talent means that any side he is in will always need to play 2 purely defensive key backs as well which severely weakens the rebounding options. For this reason I think we are better off and, well, poor Charlie is just a turnover machine. Cost us several games late in the season, esp cially the Sydney game.

As for the draft, two potentially brilliant pickups, but there are risks. Fogarty is a potential A grader , but I am not sure he has a clear position at league level and while McPherson looks really good, he has a terrible injury history and Houlahan and Worpel were available so he would want to prove very good. All in all very good result but losing Smith is the real worry.

Overpaid for gibbs.. But we got overs for lever and cameron and actually got something for wigg. That was a win in the end.

Then come draft... We made out like bandits.

Can't wait to see who we pick up in the rookie.

We swapped Cameron & change for Gibbs. A great deal
Would have picked up Fogarty with 10 anyway, so the 10 for 12 downgrade is irrelevant

It’ll be Gibbs, maybe 21 in next year’s draft and 39 for Cameron, Ed Richards and hopefully 36. Gibbs for Cameron is great considering our needs, and at this stage (things can change though), pick 21 next year will be a very similar quality, if not better prospect than Richards. 36 to 39 is irrelevant

This ! ......plus he performed in a bad side .....now in a good side, he also adds " who do the opposition tag ? Sloane, M.Crouch, Gibbs - and then the best of the lot B.Crouch gets even more freedom" .......i'm drooling at the possibilities
Brouch with a full pre-season will benefit the most, bookmark it. Gibbs, and a full preseason will do him wonders

Bryce will absolutely benefit from having more quality around him, too

This ! ......plus he performed in a bad side .....now in a good side, he also adds " who do the opposition tag ? Sloane, M.Crouch, Gibbs - and then the best of the lot B.Crouch gets even more freedom" .......i'm drooling at the possibilities
Yep, there is no doubt Gibbs makes our midfield MUCH better. The issue was always the cost, which well it's done know so not much point really arguing the toss. Throw in Greenwood coming off the bench and it all looks quite promising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron and Lever forced us to eat yet another s**t sandwich and the wider footy community bitched at us when we said we didn't like the taste. So all in all, a fairly typical Crows off season.

In all seriousness though, aside from overpaying for Gibbs I think we made the best of a bad situation.
Would have been poor if we lost Cameron and Lever and only got Gibson and draftees

Getting Gibbs was a success

What we did we did well, but we lost another 2 players we wanted to keep.

That s**t has to stop.

We got rid of something for 2 players that didn't want to play for AFC. Ultimately we will be better off with out them ....

Good result so far and will be finished off with Edwards on rookie list this arvo.

Last edited:
Brouch with a full pre-season will benefit the most, bookmark it. Gibbs, and a full preseason will do him wonders

Bryce will absolutely benefit from having more quality around him, too
Agree re Brad

If he stays fit he might do what Matt did this year and explode

Gibbs will also take alot of heat off Sloane , good luck tagging Sloane and letting the others off the hook too

I honestly know nothing about Fogarty and McPherson other than a few minute clips on Youtube. Fogarty does look like a standout, with good evasive skills mixed with natural strength.
On paper, I think every club or fan would think that there is some improvement to their list. The main thing is to remember that improvement to the list depends on several factors:
- how quickly can the new draftees (first and second years) develop?
- how quickly will the new trades settle into the team?
- how well are the players gel-ing with the losses/additions of the new players?
- coaching strategies modified to suit the new group?

So the final results of our offseason, technically, it's an unknown!

why do people continue to insist we got reamed in the Gibbs trade.

It was pick 10 and a downgrade of pick 16 this year to what is likely going to be pick 19-21 in a far stronger draft year.

It was bang on for what we got out of it.

Last year they wanted a first + Cameron

This year it cost us Cameron

We absolutely smashed this off-season out of the park.

Like others have said, Lever and Cameron chose to leave and we got great deals for both of them. We absolutely had to land Gibbs this time after what happened in the GF. Trading pick 16 for a 3-to-5 pick downgrade next year is at least a draw if not a win in my opinion. We will be able to cross check this properly next season, but right now we are talking about a comparison of Richards/Higgins to whoever we get. If somebody like Rozee slides we will be laughing. Not to mention we can now use or trade Carlton's 2018 third which is about what we used to get McPherson this year.

It would have been nice to get Gibbs for less than pick 10, but considering this didn't stop us from landing Fogarty, pick 10 was effectively equal to pick 12 which is what we offered Carlton last year.

I am really pleased with our draft outcome. I think we have drafted 4 young players that are a really good chance to make it at AFL level in Fogarty, McPherson, Edwards and Murphy.

So well done to AFC for a great off-season.

Close to the perfect off-season in my book.

Got massive overs for a player that had put us in a position that it would have been a massive * up to keep him, and played a very easy role to replace in our side.

Cameron leaving is a slight negative, but we got overs and cleared out a position for a rookie i'm absolutely in love with as a player (Gooch)

Sold Wigg

Was in a position that we could get Gibbs whilst having enough first round picks to mitigate any risk, and did so.

Got some midfield depth.

Gambled our F/S stays to the rookie draft - paid off.

Draftees look good! (but don't they always?)

All in all, i'm very happy with that.

Last edited:
We did well but interesting that besides Fogarty, we didn’t trade in or draft one other key position player and there is hope Fogarty becomes a midfielder.

Who is our key position depth?

Otten
Himmelberg
Dear
Hunter??

I’m not including Keath as he may end up playing a lot of footy next year.

We better do something about that next year, perhaps someone like Gov ;)

Oh and our sanfl side will be short people.

We did well but interesting that besides Fogarty, we didn’t trade in or draft one other key position player and there is hope Fogarty becomes a midfielder.

Who is our key position depth?

Otten
Himmelberg
Dear
Hunter??

I’m not including Keath as he may end up playing a lot of footy next year.

We better do something about that next year, perhaps someone like Gov ;)

Oh and our sanfl side will be short people.

For forwards, that's probably right, though Himmelburg should hopefully push to being the first person in if things go wrong as the season goes.

Defensively it's Keath/Otten, but it's likely Keath will end up getting a fair few games.

Of course, the other option (however, unlikely) is that we just go with 3 'key' forwards instead of 4 that we currently use, in which this extra midfield depth is then used to cover whatever losses there is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back