Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Was driving to work this morning with SEN on the wireless. They spoke positively about two subjects which made me stop and question how stupid we are as a collective.

The first was tanking and how we're looking at a lottery for the bottom four sides which would remove the need for clubs to drop games for benefit at seasons end. Who'd like their club finishing fifth last? How pissed would you be with that spot all sewn up?

Fourth last = no wooden spoon- tick and a chance at the first draft pick and worse case pick 4 which you've earned through being incompetent. Although not as incompetent as the team directly above who were gallant in their one extra win.

But the kicker as this is gaining traction- 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 after 17 rounds you play against sides in your tier.

* me! Really? I could not see a season where the team sixth after 17 rounds finishers above the side seventh after seventeen rounds come the final round.

Imagine team 'six' play teams 1, 2,3,4 and 5 .

Team 'seven' 8,9,10,11and 12.

I love the mighty Roos, but every year I find myself a little bit less interested and we're on freaking top. If it wasn't for a couple of reasons I reckon I'd be lost to this comp.

The AFL needs a clean out and some campaigner with a little common sense needs to takeover.

Was driving to work this morning with SEN on the wireless. They spoke positively about two subjects which made me stop and question how stupid we are as a collective.

The first was tanking and how we're looking at a lottery for the bottom four sides which would remove the need for clubs to drop games for benefit at seasons end. Who'd like their club finishing fifth last? How pissed would you be with that spot all sewn up?

Fourth last = no wooden spoon- tick and a chance at the first draft pick and worse case pick 4 which you've earned through being incompetent. Although not as incompetent as the team directly above who were gallant in their one extra win.

But the kicker as this is gaining traction- 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 after 17 rounds you play against sides in your tier.

**** me! Really? I could not see a season where the team sixth after 17 rounds finishers above the side seventh after seventeen rounds come the final round.

I love the mighty Roos, but every year I find myself a little bit less interested and we're on freaking top. If it wasn't for a couple of reasons I reckon I'd be lost to this comp.

The AFL needs a clean out and some campaigner with a little common sense needs to takeover.

That will * the comp and drive people away from the game.

I can see it going ahead.

This was Chris Judd's proposal Monday night. Play every other team once - so more fair than now (except no mention of who plays home and who is away) - and then the top group is through to finals, the second group is playing off for finals, and the last group is playing off for draft picks. Will never happen as the AFL won't give up the cash cow return games - they won't have the fixture so determined by performance rather than revenue - so nothing to worry about.

I see we're you're coming from, but something needs to be done about the draw and draft positions. It's a fundamentally unfair system that rewards poor performance and deliberately losing.

**** me! Really? I could not see a season where the team sixth after 17 rounds finishers above the side seventh after seventeen rounds come the final round.

I like the idea. It will rid us of the current uneven fixture.

After 17 rounds of each team playing each other once (home games switched every season), 1-6 play each other to fight it out for a double chance.

7-12 play each other for the 'wild card' last two spots in the 8.

13-18 play out for the draft order.

Then we head into our normal final 8 finals scenario.

The idea does have merit and also rids us of the dead rubber games that litter the end of a season.

It will need to be well thought out in regards to the benefits of finishing higher in each pool after the 17 rounds. But it does get rid of the biggest blight on our game-the 'fixed' draw.

I see we're you're coming from, but something needs to be done about the draw and draft positions. It's a fundamentally unfair system that rewards poor performance and deliberately losing.

The draw is fundamentally unfair. I don't give a flying **** about draft positions. Leave that the **** alone.

The brainiacs behind this dopey proposition love to cite the draft lottery concept from other overseas competitions but this is not a draft lottery in any way, shape or form. And I don't see why the 13th team should be rewarded with the best 18 year old in the country. It would be just too easy and common for an extremely good team to have a bad run with injuries one year and finish 13th and then score the number one pick. Where's equalisation in that? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Choices are 17 round comp or 22 with ever side playing each other over two seasons. Not really difficult but this is about money. The whole notion of what the VFL was built on has been wiped for commercial consideration.Draft- bottom side gets first pick unless it's a zoned selection for a premiership winning team from interstate :p

Fwiw my two kids don't really care about footy and for along time it was my life, playing then getting to the match. Sad days imo.

I hate that too

not sure you have the full grasp of this one? I absolutely love the idea, with the 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 after 17 rounds you are a lock in what third you finished.

1-6 hold their current ladder status and play each other to see who finishes 1 to 6 and what position, they a guaranteed finalists.
7-12 hold their current ladder status and play each other to see who is rewarded with the last two spots in the finals, they can not finish higher then 7th.
13-18 play a round robin for draft picks winner gets pick 1 second gets pick 2, I am so over rewarding losers.

it is the fairest system I have heard for an 18 team comp that plays 22 rounds in a season.

ffs, it isn't that hard. Teams should NOT be able to play each other twice every year. That means no 2x EssvColl, no 2x SydneyvGWS, no North playing Geelong in geelong every year.

Then you alternate between seasons. One season you host at home, the next season you host away.

For the other 5 matches, the teams you play twice MUST NOT be the same sides you played twice the season before. Simples.

Draft picks. No lottery. Just award draft picks on a 5 year rating of how s**t a team has been over 5 years.

That means a side MUST tank for 5 years and finish bottom every year, to guarantee themselves the number 1 pick. (No coach would dare come in and try that)

It also means a good side that has been at the top for 5 years, but finishes outside the 8 because of a horrible injury run doesn't geta bottom 4 pick. (ie Hawthorn in 2009, when they missed the finals after winning the premiership)

Or a side that has an unexpected great season like North in 07, doesn't miss out on a bottom 4 pick, because we played out of our skin and finished 3rd.

And Academies? Get. Rid. Of.

I hate that too

not sure you have the full grasp of this one? I absolutely love the idea, with the 1-6, 7-12 and 13-18 after 17 rounds you are a lock in what third you finished.

1-6 hold their current ladder status and play each other to see who finishes 1 to 6 and what position, they a guaranteed finalists.
7-12 hold their current ladder status and play each other to see who is rewarded with the last two spots in the finals, they can not finish higher then 7th.
13-18 play a round robin for draft picks winner gets pick 1 second gets pick 2, I am so over rewarding losers.

it is the fairest system I have heard for an 18 team comp that plays 22 rounds in a season.

So the team in 7th can't try and get into the top 4?

oh crikey I am agreeing with kangatime.

original.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another example of not listening to what is being said!

Teams 1-6 are playing off for spots 1-6. Teams 7-12 are playing off for spots 7 and 8. And the bottom teams play off for draft picks. It's actually a very good idea and has every chance of coming in. It will make pretty much all games relevant up to the end of the season.

The draw is fundamentally unfair. I don't give a flying **** about draft positions. Leave that the **** alone.
Poor posting on my part. I actually meant that the draw is fundamentally unfair and that the draft rewards deliberately losing. I'm not overly bothered by teh draft either, but the draw is something that really annoys me, and a lot of people, about the game.

I'd prefer to see a 17 game season with the other 5 or 6 weeks filled by a return of SoO, but that's just me.

[QUOTE="naturally north, post: 44812884, member: 68898]

Imagine team 'six' play teams 1, 2,3,4 and 5.

Teams 1-6 are playing off for spots 1-6. Teams 7-12 are playing off for spots 7 and 8. And the bottom teams play off for draft picks. It's actually a very good idea and has every chance of coming in. It will make pretty much all games relevant up to the end of the season.[/QUOTE]

So its a finals series before the actual finaks? Why not pull the pin after 17 rounds? So we'll have 45 more games to decide who finishes 7 and 8, it just got worse.

STOP ******* changing s**t.

The draft is good how it is. Teams that Tank kill their culture and are never rewarded with on field success. The Hawks were lucky with priority picks to build their era but all that's done and gone.

Scrap the priority academies that give preference to northern clubs and allow the bidding for F/S's.

Keep free agency and keep the compensation picks for losing guns.

They have just about stuffed the game with the rule changes and if they keep stuffing with everything else they'll kill the game even more.

Teams 1-6 are playing off for spots 1-6. Teams 7-12 are playing off for spots 7 and 8. And the bottom teams play off for draft picks. It's actually a very good idea and has every chance of coming in. It will make pretty much all games relevant up to the end of the season.

So its a finals series before the actual finaks? Why not pull the pin after 17 rounds? So we'll have 45 more games to decide who finishes 7 and 8, it just got worse.[/QUOTE] 7 and 8 mean s**t anyway, and it makes who gets top 4 are the best 4 teams, no draw bias to effect it.

I hate that too

Hey i never said i was really listening. Had some old campaigner doing 45 in the right hand lane. :)

Regardless it sucks and who plays home and away? What about members?

I dont like it... what i particularly dont like is some people are saying you will "reset" after the 17 games which means no difference finishing 1 or 6 for example so say we get to 11 and 1 we can then put the q in the rack and still finish 6th

I think that the middle their will actually be the weakest, with the most tanking.

I don't see 6 teams playing off for 2 spots to be overly viable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back