Social Science So what are you doing for Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we just need to work on shifting the day, improving our relationship with our indigenous brothers and sisters, and becoming a republic with a non embarrassing flag.
Those things whilst there is a valid arguments for them at the end of the day will do bugger all to actually help anyone's lives anywhere. It's almost embarrassing how much airtime they get for such minor issues.

One thing for sure is we are still years away from having mature discussions on the issue.

This year it seemed if you wanted to do something that wasn't a protest then it mean't you are a white supremacist.

Either way from what I read yesterday it doesn't sound like we will get a change of date while Albanese is PM.

Last edited:

What do you do on Bastille day?
😫

Addams Family Rose GIF by Paramount Movies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the idea of Jan 26 is to unite a nation in celebrating our country it's now a demonstrable failure.
lol, maybe a very far fetched idea that not even the most hopefully naive would buy into anymore. 😂

It’s all about the day off these days and has been for quite a while.

Australia Day = the general consensus among most people celebrating it as a fair reason to get drunk and obnoxious.

If the idea of Jan 26 is to unite a nation in celebrating our country it's now a demonstrable failure.

I agree, and hopefully if they move the date it can be a unifying day.

The date move will happen organically sort of anyway I reckon, I suspect there’s no chance the Aus women’s cricket team will play next Jan 26, a lot of other sports will prob follow suit.

I reckon in a few years any sport backed by corporate sponsorship probably won’t be doing anything. I mean it sort of always a day where nothing happened, and I feel we’re getting back to that.

You never know, I feel like there is some negative sentiment out there about it, not like Aus Day, not yet anyway. I mean 10 years ago could you have imagined the debates we have now about gender and sex in mainstream media? (And chat forums for that matter)
I really don't understand Australia anymore. It's like everyone wants to just belittle or cancel any tidbit of culture it once had, good or bad. There's no identity anymore, there's no personality, but instead just anger and cancellation.

I really don't understand Australia anymore. It's like everyone wants to just belittle or cancel any tidbit of culture it once had, good or bad. There's no identity anymore, there's no personality, but instead just anger and cancellation.

Most people get along in real life, or quite that on social media, I feel like that’s what makes things seem so extreme. And with many “journos” getting quotes off Twitter and fanning the flames it makes it worse.

Those things whilst there is a valid arguments for them at the end of the day will do bugger all to actually help anyone's lives anywhere. It's almost embarrassing how much airtime they get for such minor issues.
And yet people keep arguing against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back