Social Science So what are you doing for Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad listening, why don't we just get rid of that "celebration" day and have a day somewhere else on the calendar to celebrate togetherness, inclusiveness and empathy. >

Recognise. Respect. Educate.​

I wonder how Americans would react if July 4th was scrapped.

If you follow the logic from here, Independence Day = not racist, Columbus Day = racist.

Personally I don't really mind if a better date for a national holiday is selected, but there's still going to be a noisy minority of privileged white people complaining about it.

I will bet anyone here $1000 changing the date wont end the whinging. Next it will be the flag, then national anthem, then whatever else and before you know it history is rewritten.

The divide only stems from one side of this coin at this point. Welcome to country often very quick to point out we are nothing but guests here in their eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one can celebrate this day anymore without being shot down. I’m not saying that’s wrong but it’s lost any excitement. Should be changed to a long weekend, first Monday or Friday in Feb. A long weekend would be ace.

I will bet anyone here $1000 changing the date wont end the whinging. Next it will be the flag, then national anthem, then whatever else and before you know it history is rewritten.

The divide only stems from one side of this coin at this point. Welcome to country often very quick to point out we are nothing but guests here in their eyes.
Should do the day, the flag and the anthem in one fell swoop.

I don't have a problem with the anthem apart from the fact it's s**t.

If you follow the logic from here, Independence Day = not racist, Columbus Day = racist.

Personally I don't really mind if a better date for a national holiday is selected, but there's still going to be a noisy minority of privileged white people complaining about it.
Independence day is actually just as bad in theory given that two of the grievances in the draft declaration were that the English were talking about abolishing slavery (had already done it in the UK) and they were protecting the Indian tribes (to an extent).

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon we need to have a three day public holiday for the nation being the weekend before the first monday in February.
Saturday we celebrate our indigenous history.
Sunday we celebrate all the people who have come here since we were colonised.
Monday we celebrate the future.

But that’s just an idea.
Im off to get a photo of the kookaburras that are on my deck
Make it a friday.

4 day weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back