Social Science So what are you doing for Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree. It's a simple and important gesture. Not worth dieing on a hill over. Meanwhile we have problems in this country beyond belief
I dont mind changing it. Change it to whenever. Dont pretend like itll solve anything though. Virtue signalling dream boat. Complaint to get likes and the demand solves literally zero

Theyll still hold grudges against people not even alive when anything happened. Its such a pointless discussion

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont mind changing it. Change it to whenever. Dont pretend like itll solve anything though. Virtue signalling dream boat. Complaint to get likes and the demand solves literally zero

Theyll still hold grudges against people not even alive when anything happened. Its such a pointless discussion
All true. But in this instance problems will never begin to be solved until the" virtue signal" is at least done. And frankly should be it's a ridiculous date.This goes specifically to our country's past and future. Very different to certain current events dominating the country atm

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
All true. But in this instance problems will never begin to be solved until the" virtue signal" is at least done. And frankly should be it's a ridiculous date.This goes specifically to our country's past and future. Very different to certain current events dominating the country atm
Change it. My $1000 bet stands to anyone willing to take it that the whinging wont stop. They will hold grudges against us evil whites forever, just being born here is bad. Its so ridiculous

What we need to do and what will never happen is get the moaners in a room and ask "what is it you actually want?" Id love to actually hear it

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Change it. My $1000 bet stands to anyone willing to take it that the whinging wont stop. They will hold grudges against us evil whites forever, just being born here is bad. Its so ridiculous

What we need to do and what will never happen is get the moaners in a room and ask "what is it you actually want?" Id love to actually hear it
Fringe elements might most won't.
Yes I still hold out hope for humanity and reason to spite the last 2 years. Maybe I'm a sucker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon we should have a vote, let everyone have there say on whether it should change instead of just a couple of people e.g. the protesters.
I think you’ll find the numbers are approaching a majority in favour of change.

I’ve never been one for draping myself in the flag and heading out in public, decorating the car etc…but even low key bbqs etc now don’t seem right. Hottest 100 move has had a big impact on a certain age demographic.

Change the date make sense to me. Also I remember a lot more green and gold on Aus Day growing up, it’s all union jacks and southern crosses these days.

It ain’t what it used to be and probably rightly so. It ain’t going to move back in the other direction.

Finding a specific date that means something and is inclusive seems impossible.

Australia seems a long way behind when it comes to our first National people. This is a pretty small step that could help start moving things in the right direction.

Long weekend early Feb and move on.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Well, that's Australia Day done and dusted for another year for the minority who absolutely hate the place. A name change won't make any difference to the celebrations, we don't know how to celebrate anymore. It should be January 1st, but that's already a holiday and Australians are more interested in another day off than celebrating the country where 26 million of us now live. It still won't make any difference anyhow, there are still those who don't want any Australia Day whatsoever. The Footy clubs have bleated on about it yesterday forgetting totally that not all of its members agree with them? The days of sport and politics not mixing are over. Me, i would advocate January 1st for Australia Day and a National Indigenous Peoples Day on July 12th. We get to keep that holiday, just in Winter not summer! Canada do it within 10 days of each other, Canada Day this year is July 1st and Indigenous Peoples Day is June 21st 2022 which t is not however, currently considered a statutory holiday across the rest of the country. Australia can do the same and make it a holiday!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
if my 3 day celebration of past, present and future doesnt satisfy everyone, lets just remove the day and instead leave it up to each state to designate a replacement public holiday whenever they want in the year (fill a gap where a long break between public holidays - which will differ for each State anyway)

WA can have 13 July - McGowan's b'day
Vic maybe dont get one as they already have an extra one compared to other states for grand final eve (and maybe melb cup too is an extra one)
SA can have one on the monday after a sunday night showdown
etc

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is or was anyone really even pro Captain Cook? I've never met anyone in my entire life that has ever been excited that he turned up.

We should reach out to China and see if they can give us a rough date that they'll invade us and just make the pre-emptive date change now.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is or was anyone really even pro Captain Cook? I've never met anyone in my entire life that has ever been excited that he turned up.

We should reach out to China and see if they can give us a rough date that they'll invade us and just make the pre-emptive date change now.
Chinas invasion is inevitable

As theyre inventing, developing, learning, growing. The west are worrying about pronouns and dates of public holidays. We have things far too good when we're so fixated on bullshit (in before people claim it isnt bullshit, proving my point).

Learn mandarin asap

It's not Captain Cook the people who argue for the retention of Jan 26 are keen on, it's the concept of Western superiority stemming from the original flawed concept of Terra Nullius and that the Indigenous population should be grateful for what this brought them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back