So what do North need?

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems the trend is either experienced old head (Roos) and junior coach (Caracella) as a succession plan, or experienced coach (Brett Ratten), strong assistant/director of footy and an "onfield coach" (Roughead) in the form of an experienced player from a successful team.

Either the Melbourne or Brizzy models.

This is North we are talking about here. They refuse to tank regardless how bad the situation is.

Saying that, they will come how get 6-7 wins.

They are likely to get a top 6 pick, so thats a start. They will try and find a new coach. Might have to change the footy department. Get better recruiters and fitness and medical staff. Possibly some new assistants and development coaches too.

North needs a strong man manager who demands accountability and on field leadership.
The biggest failing at North of the past two list turnovers has been an inability to stand up in clutch moments.
Key leaders at the club go missing and seem to face no accountability and there’s a feeling that mediocrity has become an accepted norm at North under Scott.
There’s a core of players who have stagnated and been offered contract extensions while Scott has refused to drop them.
When external pressure has come on the field we just haven’t had the tools to deal with it because the coach hasn’t developed that within the group.
The list at North is pretty good imo - they just don’t have a hard edge or ruthlessness about them.
When the chips are down there’s a few that go missing and that’s ok under Scott.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trade in an A-grader. Go to the draft. Blood the youth but make them earn it. Clear out the old blokes but maintain a reasonable amount of experience. Address the problems for what they are and move the process forward so we can implement the provisions of the initiative in order to embrace these challenges. The club needs to figure out where the rubber meets the road and see who's willing to get behind the wheel. We've been hiding a Mars bar in our sleeping bag while a bear's been lurking outside the tent for far too long, but you know what, you can't eat at the Chinese buffet if there isn't any duck sauce. What I'm trying to say is: if you want to get real, don't put a horse shoe inside a pillowcase!

Broad question here, delivered at everyone of course, but particularly interested to hear from North fans;

What kind of coach do you need? You’ve got a list profile with plenty of talent, plenty of experience, and I think plenty of ability. North can play some scintillating footy yet the gap from bad to worse is probably closing. They need to get better.

Personally I don’t think it would take them long to regroup and put themselves back into finals contention. They lack a genuine A grade midfielder which has to be a priority.

I am not sure who is out there, but what kind of coach gets them back into contention do you think?
From a list perspective.

Issues:
Leg speed is still an issue. The 6-6-6 rule has hurt our ability to curtail burst clearances from teams with pacey/burst-like mids. The lack of around the ground leg speed has hampered our defensive transitions, so a hell of a lot relies on really high work rate and the opposition kicking it back to us.

Foot skills. Not as big a issue as it used to be. A few of our better users are down on confidence atm and we are over-handballing. Guys like Dumont/Ahern/LDU are notable examples of confidence/gameplan issues. All three are beautiful kicks of the footy.

Small/general defenders and small forwards. Guys like Turner aren't going to win a premiership and our backline lacks a decent speedy HB accumlator and a lock down small defender with leg speed. As soon as the ball hits the ground in defensive fifty, it often results in an opposition goal. Up forward, we have a lot of promising to good medium forwards from Garner to Zurhaar, even Wood still has something to offer. However, we lack a good crumbing pacey small forward.

Ruck. Goldy is getting on and his young replacement is a better forward/ruck than a pure ruck.

Strengths:
Key Position Forwards: Brown/Larkey are going fine. Wood is a struggling medium flanker.

KPD's: Tarrant/Watson/Durdin/McKay, not too worried about them. Still a few years left in Taz.

Young Talent: Simpkin/LDU/Ahern/Thomas/Zurhaar/Larkey have all shown a bit over the last 2 years. Still need some more elite young talent all over the ground.

As for a cleanout, this would be a long-term thing and can't all be at once. Some players need to go and some need to be re-invented and persisted with.

As for a coach, we need someone that will bring a ruthless Hawk like culture and not so much the corporate like approach that Brad seemingly adopted. Someone like Mitchell and co. Don't want Longmire or Roos (not that the latter is an option). Would rather someone with fresh ideas and doesn't play favourites with certain players.

With Thompson turning 34 next year, Tarrant turning 31, Higgins turning 32 and Goldstein 32, 2020 looks like it'll have to be a complete reset. They've got Cunnington, Brown, Daw, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Dumont, Anderson, Wood, Ziebell, Williams and maybe Hall (if he pulls his finger out), to form their nucleus, which is 13 players. Scott and Larkey look decent, McDonald and Tyson might thrive under a better coach and Ahern has shown some signs. There is definitely some talent there, but the depth is very very thread bare. You can probably bring in 3 or 4 depth players through free agency, but I think that'll just be papering over the cracks even more.

IMO, next year will be Higgins' last as he looks to have slowed, along with Goldy and maybe Tarrant (although Tarrant looks good so could stay on, on a 1 year contract). Thompson probably goes this year, along with Hrovat, Wright, Turner, McKay and maybe even Jacobs retiring if his symptoms don't subside by the end of the year. Watson another that could go if he doesn't feature this year, along with Wilkinson off the rookie list (don't know much about him).

I think they'd want to get an interim coach in after the bye, so they can figure out who works well with their game plan, and then do a smooth hand over to a senior coach thereafter. All being well, they'd then want to cull at least 7 or 8 players, to make room for 1 or 2 really decent free agents/trade ins (more like Polec, less like Tyson, Hall and Pittard), and some good strong draft picks that they trade up for.

A lot to do, but if they're smart about it, they can probably make this pretty quick (not a 5 year rebuild ala Carlton/Melbourne/Brisbane) given the young talent they've already drafted. Will be tough for at least two or three years, before they start to climb again, I would say

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will throw the cheque book at Simpson and Clarkson first, I think then the attention will turn to Sam Mitchell......

Been a few tweets about a well regarded list manager coming over as GM of football. I think this could potentially be Brady Rawlings.

Last edited:
A new leader.
A more capitalist approach.
An open door and renovation policy.
Unify with the South.

They just need any coach that can help them attract an A grade recruit.

Until then they are only ever going to languish 12-16 no matter the coach.

I would look at Ratten, though I have a feeling he’ll be coaching the Saints next year.

Someone like Voss would be a solid option. Has the experience and comes with an aura.
Their list is misshapen, with high end quality at the wrong end of the age spectrum.
Bring in Voss, and a new recruiter and generally start again

Alan McConnell from GWS is apparently who we are targeting as the new GM of football.

OP was spot on earlier questioning our player development.
In the preliminary final years it was Harvey, Petrie, Wells (all of whom were well established players long before Scott got there), and mature age recruits in Waite, Higgins and Dal Santo.
They were the only reason we somehow got so far.
Name a player that has come through and developed in the last 5 years?
Majak?
We have a good group of youngsters coming through, 2 rising star nominations in Bailey Scott and Cam Zurhaar this season.
Taryn Thomas is an obvious player of the future, add in LDU and Larkey.
For the good of this club, we need a clean out and get some decent assistant and development coaches to get these kids from turning into B graders to A graders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back