So whats your actual feeling towards Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoy the rivalry, but honestly don't care about them or whatever is going on with them. Sure, what Crows fan wouldn't enjoy it when Port are playing poorly or losing, but I don't really follow what is happening with them and don't care. There are other things in the AFL that I hate more, like Kane Cornes articles, bias Victorian media, or when Ollie Wines comes out and says he hates AFC and that we are entitled. As much as I hate Geelong, I did enjoy the 119 point GF loss of Port.

Most of the hatred for Port goes back to the SANFL. If you’re under a certain age, you probably won’t understand just how hateable they were.

Then…from 1991-1996 they were just the biggest pr*cks about the Crows being in the AFL competition. They were relentless about wanting the Crows to fail.

Also, this is hard to articulate, but most Crows supporters will get this… Port fans all seem to be cut from the same cloth! They all say the same things. They all have this understated, completely unwarranted superiority complex. It’s like they’ve been indoctrinated into a cult.

The older ones are the worst.

It’s a completely deluded cult as well. They’ve created this myth that somehow the Port Adelaide way is special, that players gain these superpowers when they pull on the jumper.

It’s all bullshit, of course.

But they’ve been good at marketing it over the years.

Growing up as a Sturt supporter in the 70's, I hated port, the school yard bullies were always port supporters, I still remember going to Alberton as a kid wearing my Sturt scarf and getting abused and spat at by the old men, they were probably mid 30's, but their lack of teeth made them look old. Only went there once, that was enough. As I often said not all port supporters are w***ers, but you can pretty much guarantee growing up all the w***ers were port supporters.
But I think them joining the AFL has been the best thing, they are no longer the big fish in the small pond and they struggle to come to terms that they aren't a "power" house. Their offended ego's struggle for relevance, and I do love that.
I do enjoy it when they have a good choke, like last years prelim, and I do have a bit of a laugh at how focused they are on us, and how they try to be "in your face" over every little win (like China hahaha) like we are so jealous we aren't port supporters. That's just funny.
but reality is now I don't really care about them, other than a bit of amusement they are just another team, although watching their games as a neutral I do tend to support the other team :)

I can't stand them and love it when they lose.

This was pretty much my reaction back in 2020 when Hamish Hartlett was pinged for deliberate in the dying stages of the prelim and Lambert went on to kick the goal to ice the game.

17-Laughing-Really-Hard-Gif.gif

Most of the hatred for Port goes back to the SANFL. If you’re under a certain age, you probably won’t understand just how hateable they were.

Then…from 1991-1996 they were just the biggest pr*cks about the Crows being in the AFL competition. They were relentless about wanting the Crows to fail.

Also, this is hard to articulate, but most Crows supporters will get this… Port fans all seem to be cut from the same cloth! They all say the same things. They all have this understated, completely unwarranted superiority complex. It’s like they’ve been indoctrinated into a cult.

The older ones are the worst.

It’s a completely deluded cult as well. They’ve created this myth that somehow the Port Adelaide way is special, that players gain these superpowers when they pull on the jumper.

It’s all bullshit, of course.

But they’ve been good at marketing it over the years.
This! I was actually a Hawks supporter in the VFL (thanks to my Grandfather)in 1991, until this exact thing happened, By the time 1994 came around I was full blown Crows just calling out the rubbish that the port supporters in the factory I was working at the time would just constantly go on about.

I've always been happy to see Port win when they are not playing the Crows. In the first 10 years they were my most valued team to beat. Eventually I only cared about what was optimum for the Crows ladder position.

My wife is a Port supporter and has a similar outlook.

She barracks for Port, but also barracks for the Crows (unless of course it's a Showdown).

Most of them lack basic football knowledge. Latest post I read was someone said Fogarty was an one tick pony so they clearly didn't see his feed off and goal from a ground ball get or the high mark and slot the goal from the boundary. Guessed they've changed their mind after the last Showdown.

I dislike Port. They like to constantly play the victim card. The us vs them narratives are tired and pathetic. Kochie is a w***er. The feral part of their supporter base is pretty rank too even just compared to other ferals.

My other most hated side is Essendon. The doping scandal, the list full of figjams and mercenaries, the way they treated Ben Rutten. * those campaigners.

I like that they have become a parody of "Port Adelaide"

Like the Spaceballs "Merchandise " skit.

Especially their use of History and Heritage.

Chinese car maker with the plastic MG badge is a great fit for them as a sponsor.

Even more amusing their supporters drink it up.

Ken Hinkley a ten year coach without a Grand Finals appearance sums up how far removed they are from that old club.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate them and the sheep mentality of the supporter base. I respect their history but can’t stand the way supporters beat their chest over it. AFL flags are what we’re chasing here.

It’s the best rivalry in the league- best may not be the right word. It’s the most intense, fierce and interesting rivalry.

Sometimes though I think we’re obsessed with each other to our own detriments.

I hated the Magpies back in the SANFL days.

If the Crows are out of the race, I don’t mind Port winning, being the other SA team. Mind you, I don’t mind them losing neither.

With there never being a 50/50 crowd for the Showdowns, the rivalry is a bit put on in the media. Not like the old Port vs Norwood rivalry where it played out in the terraces.

Hated the Magpies and hate the Power as they do us, but love the rivalry.
The only bad thing about hating them is that's what they want us to do.

The other thing I can't stand with Port supporters, in particular the Gen Xers, is this rubbish they started going on about over the last 10 years or so about how it should have been Norwood instead of the Crows.

Yet if you ask most Norwood supporters they're more than happy with how things turned out and supporting the Crows.

We all know that Port supporters couldn't give a rats about Norwood, they just believe that if it was Norwood instead of the Crows that Port would have been the bigger club.

The reality is that they have always resented the fact that we're a bigger club and because of that they wish we didn't exist.

The other thing I can't stand with Port supporters, in particular the Gen Xers, is this rubbish they started going on about over the last 10 years or so about how it should have been Norwood instead of the Crows.

Yet if you ask most Norwood supporters they're more than happy with how things turned out and supporting the Crows.

We all know that Port supporters couldn't give a rats about Norwood, they just believe that if it was Norwood instead of the Crows that Port would have been the bigger club.

The reality is that they have always resented the fact that we're a bigger club and because of that they wish we didn't exist.
I know the family of someone who was a port board member in 1990, and they alway maintain that if port got in back then, they needed Norwood to hold their hand.

I just have to look at 119 and the 2 Finals decided on the last kick to know my true feelings

I dont want to see them win and to lose in the most funniest manner

But conversely (maybe because they arent that good) I dont hate them to get worked up about. They are another team to beat on the way to finals and flags

I like them. They’re my 3rd side behind us and Bulldogs. They have a crack against the odds. And they measure themselves based on premierships rather than being satisfied courtesy of being marginally better than some other spud club down the road.

Had our management subsequent to Sanders et al controlled Port they’d have been Gold Coast or Tassie Power years ago. Our club has largely squandered our financial advantage and without Blight, who’s lessons have been lost, we’d be worse than Fremantle.

Imagine our management running a club throughout the last 20 years with Port’s supporter base. Absolute disaster in every conceivable manner.

Well lets see i was thinking when they won in 2004 if we locked the gates during their celebration and bombed alberton we would get rid of them in one foul swoop , so yeah i like them 🤣🤣🤣🤣

They were my second team when they first joined the AFL (my brother went for them). I liked a bunch of their early players, especially guys like James and Lade.

After Choco took over I gradually started disliking them more and more. Just too mouthy for my liking and they had some flog players like Brogan, Chad Cornes, etc.

I don't mind their current players, other than maybe Jonas. Just wish they'd stop the carry on - they sound like a candidate for a council election a lot of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back