So when are the Vic media going to admit we're the real deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney are as good or better than us in my opinion.

Have scored just as heavily as us since round 6 and conceded far less.

This week will be very interesting.

So if we cut out the year we did best and they did terribly they look better? Shocker.

I think Adelaide get a good run on 360 and OTC. It doesnt matter what team you are you have to do something interesting to make the show.

Destroying quality opposition or being horrible are good. Tight wins, controversial moments or being Collingwood also helps.

The circle jerk over Melbourne after they beat Port was absolutely stupid though. They smashed by us the week before and they were talking of them being top 4 and a possible flag. Wot?

On LG-D855 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can someone explain to me why Geelong supporters seem to hate the Crows?

Like I get why Crows fans hate Geelong but I just don't understand the animosity coming back the other way.

I met a Geelong fan on a trip and we got talking about football. He started complaining and I said "you're not going to bring up that Leigh Colbert mark."
He looked at me as though I'd read his mind and then complained about it for two minutes.
That incident was 20 years ago but he still hadn't let it go.
It wasn't anything we did as a club, no hit behind the play or taking a player out. It was an umpiring decision but in their eyes that cost them the chance for a flag.
Long bitter memories.

Last edited:

We are not the real deal until we win another premiership. Until then it is all in front of us. Being on the front page before that time is a dangerous seducement. Low key is just fine.

I remember a brilliant satirical cartoon involving Lisa Curry when she was the media darling --- from memory, it was World Championships, with a caricature of a beaming, starry-eyed Curry holding up her medal for third place. Caption:
""LISA CURRY GETS THE BRONZE!!
(some other Aussie wins Gold)""
The most recent World Swimming titles had similar commentary: " ... and Australia wins the Bronze medal in a brilliant PB for X ... and some other countries get gold and silver".

On Monday night, Talking Footy devoted about 45 seconds to the Crows, midfield/Crouch bros. have come good, Sauce in AA form, formidable attack, tight defensive 6, no real weaknesses etc (but without any real enthusiasm) then went on to discuss their fave topics --- Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne and so on.
So, it won't matter what we do. We can win a few Minor Round games, a final or three, maybe even win the GF, but we'll never WIN them over.
They harp on our (only) losses to NM, Melb, Geelong and Hawks in spite of the fact we've learned and improved from those losses and been unbeaten over the last 7 games, knocking off 5 Top 8 contenders along the way.
If we go top, they'll say we stole the Flag in a year of upsets (when any of another 7 teams might have gone top, so, LUCKY Crows). I can see the headline now: "RICHMOND just pipped in thrilling 68-point loss! LUCKY Crows steal 2017 Flag."
If we lose the GF, our pretender-status will be proven, in their minds.
If we don't make the GF, we'll be a laughing-stock.

Best thing we can do is win it this year, and next year, and savour the wins (and their misery).

P.S. afterthought ...
Sydney have been out of the Top-8 only once since 2003, with 2 Flags in that time, and appear to be generally respected as tough-but-fair opponents who play a tight, hard brand of footy.
The Vic. media seem to begrudgingly acknowledge our strengths and successes this year, but it's not their focus and never will be.

Seriously, do we give a rat's if the Victorian Talking Heads praise the Crows?
I'd like more for us to be respected and feared by our opponents' coaches and players, as in "Oh Hell, we're playing the Crows this week! *groan*".

I met a Geelong fan on a trip and we got talking about football. He started complaining and I said "you're not going to bring up that Leigh Colbert mark."
He looked at me as though I'd read his mind and then complained about it for two minutes.
That incident was 20 years ago but he still hadn't let it go.
It wasn't anything we did as a club, no hit behind the play or taking a player out. It was an umpiring decision but in their eyes that cost them the chance for a flag.
Long bitter memories.

I hope you mentioned that Modra also wasn't paid a mark later in that game and they also got a goal that came off Bickley's shin?

I hope you mentioned that Modra also wasn't paid a mark later in that game and they also got a goal that came off Bickley's shin?

I would have but that was 20 years ago and can now barely remember the game. That Colbert non-mark has been mentioned so many times it's sad, I've moved on. I do however remember who won the premiership that year!
....if only they'd paid that mark.

So Wayne Carey has selected the Swans by a big margin. His theory is the Swans will be desperate to gain a spot in the 4 while Adelaide will be content to cruise after securing a top 2 birth.

Does he realise the importance to the Crows that these A holes don't get a double chance? The last thing we would need in week 1 would be to face a rejuvenated Swans. Let some other team deal with them in an elimination final.
I'm not sure the Scars have healed since last September. Mine haven't.:(

And after we win it, they will say it is a weak year, just like they did in 97 and 98
D Brereton has already made that statement only last week. Not sure if it was on Fox's Friday night footy show or in his League teams show but he said that the competition is weak this year despite being close.

I think we all get sucked into caring what the media say about us. I love it that the media constantly underrate us. I underrate us too.

The fact is, the only way we can make fools of the media is the win the GF. Quite frankly, anything less and we prove them all right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many here who don't care whether the Vic media acknowledges us. Personally I also don't care.

What I do get uptight about is the National media. Fox Footy and the AFL web site (so too is channel 7 when they are broadcasting a game) are part of the national media and they should be treating every team equally. Gaining national exposure is important for our team and our ability to attract interstate members. Unfortunately 99% of all the commentators on Fox are ex Victorian players and have a Melbourne based attitude/bias. Its this attitude that I want to see diluted. The AFL is meant to be a National Competition but until the national media (Fox and AFL.com) increases the input from the non Victorian commentators we will always have to contend with the bias.

During the recent spat of retirement announcements surely you have seen the amount of time allocated to many of the Victorian players. Priddis and our S Thompson didnt get anywhere near the amount of time. Yes they did receive some exposure but nothing like what the Vic players received. Again if the Advertiser wishes to focus on SA players thats fine. If the Herald Sun wants to focus on Victorian players that's fine but the national media should have an obligation to spread their focus evenly. Fox clearly agrees with my sentiments because they had a campaign that talked about covering all the teams equally but unfortunately their commentators haven't seen the campaign. Pity

And after we win it, they will say it is a weak year, just like they did in 97 and 98

Unfortunately I was on secondment in New Zealand during 97 and 98 and didn't get any real info but I did watch the games on TV. Actually introduced a few Kiwis to Aussie Rules and put of a G Final BBQ. SO I didn't really get the after game comments about it being a weak competition. But one thing that did stick in my mind was that we came from the bottom half of the eight to win a flag yet for some reason this seems to be dismissed. Where as the Bulldogs did this last year and get heaped with praise and comments like "its never been done before" Can someone explain that for me.

Unfortunately I was on secondment in New Zealand during 97 and 98 and didn't get any real info but I did watch the games on TV. Actually introduced a few Kiwis to Aussie Rules and put of a G Final BBQ. SO I didn't really get the after game comments about it being a weak competition. But one thing that did stick in my mind was that we came from the bottom half of the eight to win a flag yet for some reason this seems to be dismissed. Where as the Bulldogs did this last year and get heaped with praise and comments like "its never been done before" Can someone explain that for me.
Final 8 system has changed since then. In 98 we came 5th and played 4th placed Melbourne, lost, then were able to play Sydney the following week.

P.S. afterthought ...
Sydney have been out of the Top-8 only once since 2003, with 2 Flags in that time, and appear to be generally respected as tough-but-fair opponents who play a tight, hard brand of footy.
The Vic. media seem to begrudgingly acknowledge our strengths and successes this year, but it's not their focus and never will be.

Seriously, do we give a rat's if the Victorian Talking Heads praise the Crows?
I'd like more for us to be respected and feared by our opponents' coaches and players, as in "Oh Hell, we're playing the Crows this week! *groan*".
Look if we are brutally honest we have been an 'almost but not quite' team for many years. Everyone including the media are going to skeptical until we win a flag. We created that. Stop sooking people!

Lets be honest, if the Vic media are talking about us it is because we've choked and they will relish using the pretenders tag.

We don't need them talking about us. Them not talking about us is a good thing.

There are many here who don't care whether the Vic media acknowledges us. Personally I also don't care.

What I do get uptight about is the National media. Fox Footy and the AFL web site (so too is channel 7 when they are broadcasting a game) are part of the national media and they should be treating every team equally. ...Pity

You are right, they should.
Unfortunately Foxtel is owned 50/50 by News Corp and Telstra. AFL.com is run by Telstra, is in fact part of the Telstra.com website. And of course, News Corp owns the Herald Sun. Given the majority of their revenue comes from commercial and residential Melbourne, they basically pitch all their media to that audience. Very little 'national' about Fox Footy or AFL.com.
Thats why Robbo gets a gig, and why there are always highly visible copies of the Hun on the talk show desks. If that wasn't obvious enough, Robbo and others say at least once each show "As I wrote yesterday/today/tomorrow ..."
Never mind. This:
Best thing we can do is win it this year, and next year, and savour the wins (and their misery).

What they meant was its never been done by a Victorian team before....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back