So who are our "Back 6"

Remove this Banner Ad

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
It seems we are all very happy with last nights draft. However after trading for Laider and drafting 4 defenders what is our back 6 going to look like?

-Russell
-Davis
-Jamo
-Bower
-Thornton
-Laider
-Armfield
-Austin
-Watson
-McCarthy
-McInnes
-Duigan
-White
-Dare
-Tuohy

Who will be there in 2011? and who will be there in 2013?

Which players won't make it and which can be played in other positions?

Russell, Jamison, Laidler/Thornton/White
Bower/McCarthy, Watson/Austin, Duigan/McInnes/Armfield/Davies

Knocking on the door: Rhys O'Keeffe, Zach Tuohy, Joey Dare

midfield: GIBBS!

I hope you realise it's cheating to put every backmen on our list in and just use "/"

Bower Jamo Army
Russell Watson McCarthy

Early 2011

Russell Jamison Armfield
White Bower Gibbs

The only position up for grabs is White's initially. Why, because we can not count on an 18 year old slotting into CHB for his first game, let alone a couple of 18 year olds. Duigan and Laidler as developed bodies could take the place of Armfield, White or release Gibbs to the midfield. Will depend on preseason form and how they go in the intra clubs.

After that, who knows. It's just a guess.

The backline should be different from 2012 onwards however, with one of Watson or McCarthy or McInnes likely to have cemented a spot by then.

Watson's a big boy already. I wouldn't be opposed to blooding him in the 3rd tall position from round 1.
If he has a good preseason, he will take White's spot, but he has to outperform White first. Having said that, if they are close, Watson will get it due to his kicking.

How frigging tough is this getting:eek:

I 'd still start with mostly the existing guys.

Army Jamo Jr
Bower Aussie White/Duigan/Davies/Laidler

Really is going to be a competitive pre-season.

Will Aussie step up to the CHB plate?
Could Watson be ready to go rnd 1?
Would have thought Duigan and Laidler would be mostly likely out of the draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I'm beyond happy that we have such a tough decision to make. It means that rather than trying to plug holes in the backline, we now have plenty of quality young depth that we can choose from. As for what the back six will look like next year, I can't say for sure. You would think Jamison, Bower and Russell are locked in. That leaves three spots. One would probably go to Armfield, as another smaller defender. We will probably have a third tall back there, but that could be anyone. If Kreuzer plays at FF, then maybe we throw Waite back. If we keep Waite up forward, maybe Watson is ready to go from round 1. There are so many options that it really is too early to start guessing.

White could get it for his versatility and ability to play as a lead up forward.
It is the defence we are trying to settle remember. Hendo, Waite, Walker, Houlihan, Betts, Garlett, Yarran and a resting ruck will rotate through the forward line. I don't think we would choose White for defence on the basis that he could go forward, at least not in round 1, and not unless we get injuries. If anything White could be the sort of player ideal as a sub.

Perhaps the probability that it will be a back seven will probably make it a little easier, that is if you take rotations and playing an extra man back at times into account. One less player to leave out :)

For me I can't see them not playing Duigan and Laidler as soon as possible. The same with Watson. The only negative for me is that once again we will have a number of new faces in the back half. It will be nice when that area is finally settled:thumbsu:

Did we pick up a new back 6 during this trade/draft period?

McInnes :: Watson :: Duigan
Laidler :: McCarthy :: Hartigan :p

OK, 5 out of 6 wasn't bad. I'll wait until the rookie draft before I pencil in position 6.

What is it exactly we see in Laidler that we don't in Davies for instance?
The guy has played one game for Geelong and we're ready to slot him into a CHB post from day 1?

Just asking as I don't really know why the excitment for him just yet.

He releases Gibbs?

He has better skills, and definitely isn't a CHB.

Besides, I see Davies as more of a midfielder-defender.

Now that we have Duigan, Laidler has to work that much harder.

Russell Jamison Armfield
Bower Watson Duigan

I'm not expecting Watson to work any miracles, but I think his kicking could become a huge weapon for us and we should try and get him going early. Even if he doesn't necessarily take the biggest forward every week, I still think he's worth blooding for his kicking alone. Austin gets the gig if Watson's pre-season indicates he needs more time (which it very well could).

I like what I've seen of Duigan and every report on him seems to be glowing in its praise. The rest pick themselves.

White could get it for his versatility and ability to play as a lead up forward.

By that logic, so could McCarthy. So could Waite. So could Thornton. So could Setanta. So could Henderson.

The deep cuts we made in our list plus these selections have really put the backline & mids on notice. Hard at the ball, run both ways and help each other out or you WILL get dropped.

Russell, Jamison Bower.

That's the only sure line (barring injuries) for round 1. Austin & White, through various circumstances, haven't made CHB their own and will be competing with Watson, McCarthy, Thornton, Setanta and possibly Waite for the role.

For the last 2 slots we have Armfield, Joseph, Davies, Lucas, Laidler, Duigan, McInnes plus Scotland, Houlihan, Carrazzo, Walker and Gibbs. The last 5 are generally played elsewhere but the MC tends to shuffle these players around to keep a stronger team balance.

I think a likely line up will be

Russell Jamison Armfield
Lucas Watson Bower

With one of Davies, Laidler or McInnes as a bench player or substitute.

Being serious and not trying to be a smartarse but is it realistic to be putting the likes of Watson at CHB come rnd1 (which I assume is the intention of the thread)?

I know there have been some blurbs on him saying he can run all day but running all day in U18's and the AFL are............................miles apart.

This is obviously premised on all candidates getting through the pre-season unscathed.

By that logic, so could McCarthy. So could Waite. So could Thornton. So could Setanta. So could Henderson.

The deep cuts we made in our list plus these selections have really put the backline & mids on notice. Hard at the ball, run both ways and help each other out or you WILL get dropped.

Russell, Jamison Bower.

That's the only sure line (barring injuries) for round 1. Austin & White, through various circumstances, haven't made CHB their own and will be competing with Watson, McCarthy, Thornton, Setanta and possibly Waite for the role.

For the last 2 slots we have Armfield, Joseph, Davies, Lucas, Laidler, Duigan, McInnes plus Scotland, Houlihan, Carrazzo, Walker and Gibbs. The last 5 are generally played elsewhere but the MC tends to shuffle these players around to keep a stronger team balance.

I think a likely line up will be

Russell Jamison Armfield
Lucas Watson Bower

With one of Davies, Laidler or McInnes as a bench player or substitute.

If, after recruiting all of these so called backmen, Bower is still an automatic starter, I will run down Lygon Street in a Collingwood Jumper.

Surely we have recruited players that will manage the back half. When Bower plays, it too often reminds me of Looney Toons. On his day, he is ok but those days arent often enough. We need backmen that protect the ball and hit targets and get dangerous.

Although Russell finished 2nd in our B&F, he too turns the ball over far too often and may find his position under threat also.

What is it exactly we see in Laidler that we don't in Davies for instance?
The guy has played one game for Geelong and we're ready to slot him into a CHB post from day 1?

Just asking as I don't really know why the excitment for him just yet.

I'm with you mate I don't know either, but we chased him as we did Duigan which is my logic as to why they will play sooner rather than later. Whether they will stay there is another matter;) You would expect that they see something in them, so lets hope that they are right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back