BB1888

All Australian
Feb 4, 2008
Candy Mountain.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Celtic, Barca, Everton.
Today I had a chippy around to do some work and he mentioned he was from Wangaratta, so I asked him 'what team do you support?'

'St Kilda' he replied.

He then asked me 'so who do you support?'

My reply?

'I support The Premiers.'

I've never been able to say that before and bloody hell it felt great!!!

:)

I said the bigfooty classic to a richmond supporter mate

"..at least i have seen my team win a flag"

* i've been waiting ~20 years to say that. Told him to tell his friends about me.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
When I lived in London it was during our run of prelims. I had indoctrinated a few of my English work colleagues at the time to the cause.

Anyway got a text from one of them two weeks ago, after a few years of radio silence. Went like this;

'Currently touring around Vietnam. I have met quite a few people from Melbourne along the way. The Bulldogs is a great conversation starter.'

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Today I had a chippy around to do some work and he mentioned he was from Wangaratta, so I asked him 'what team do you support?'

'St Kilda' he replied.

He then asked me 'so who do you support?'

My reply?

'I support The Premiers.'

I've never been able to say that before and bloody hell it felt great!!!

:)
Similar thing when I was at a party last week. Someone asked me who I barracked for and when I replied doggies it just felt completely different. I don't think I really felt prouder as I've always been a proud supporter but it certainly felt completely different and it felt good.

Aug 21, 2011
Logan
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Queensland ain't the best place to be a doggie.
Known, worked for/with etc a bloke on and off for years. Mad Souths supporter and token saints supporter. Has a bigger bar in his backyard than most pubs do, and better patrionage, He watched the game the other week, thought what a cracka of game.. them thought... the only bloke I know who supports the dogs is me.
Met him about a week later. Threw me a beer before my ass was in the chair and knocked a few back and talked the game
Was as stoked as I was.
He had his souths win a few years back, so was just as happy seeing a doggies fan beaming after a week of celebration.

Definitely prouder. Up this way the Doggies supporters are a rare breed (or they were ... it's weird how I seem to be seeing more WB car stickers and other dogaphernalia around these days).

No longer will I get strange looks or patronising questions like "why would you support a club like that?"

We are now the role model club and a great story. Nearly everyone will want there their* club to be more like ours.

EDIT: * I stand chastised. A nod to Dogs_R_Us for being our grammatical compass!

Last edited:
Definitely prouder. Up this way the Doggies supporters are a rare breed (or they were ... it's weird how I seem to be seeing more WB car stickers and other dogaphernalia around these days).

No longer will I get strange looks or patronising questions like "why would you support a club like that?"

We are now the role model club and a great story. Nearly everyone will want there club to be more like ours.
Gasp - dogwatch I'm shocked :eek:

Borgsta

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Melb.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Orlando
Similar thing when I was at a party last week. Someone asked me who I barracked for and when I replied doggies it just felt completely different. I don't think I really felt prouder as I've always been a proud supporter but it certainly felt completely different and it felt good.

Until October this year I generally answered the question with "I'm a long suffering Bulldogs supporter"

Its nice to not have to say that.

Gasp - dogwatch I'm shocked :eek:
Me too! :oops:
I ... I ... don't know what to say.

My humble apologies.
I obviously should of wrote "they're" especially if I had of thought to myself "Oh that Dogs_R_Us! I bet his online right now".

BB1888

All Australian
Feb 4, 2008
Candy Mountain.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Celtic, Barca, Everton.
Queensland ain't the best place to be a doggie.
Known, worked for/with etc a bloke on and off for years. Mad Souths supporter and token saints supporter. Has a bigger bar in his backyard than most pubs do, and better patrionage, He watched the game the other week, thought what a cracka of game.. them thought... the only bloke I know who supports the dogs is me.
Met him about a week later. Threw me a beer before my ass was in the chair and knocked a few back and talked the game
Was as stoked as I was.
He had his souths win a few years back, so was just as happy seeing a doggies fan beaming after a week of celebration.

Mate, I lived in Freo in the mid 2000's and being a Footscray supporter over there at that time was an awful experience.

I watched us beat beat by both WA teams although Freo supporters were easily the nicer of the two supporter groups.

I generally found Eagles supporters to be the worst type- mouthy front runners whose club is from and supported by the 'Big End of Town' who generally replied to me when I said I supported the Doggies with 'Why would you support such a loser club?'

I would have loved to been in the crowd at Subi when we BELTED them in the first final :)

Freo supporters in contrast identified with our pain as they have had years of putting up with the type of Eagles supporters I mentioned above.

Back