So who loses their job ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis Head.. Sorry that was supposed to be Travis is 5 years younger than Maxwell and averages 40 and bowls vs Maxwell who averages 26 and also bowls

Sent from my Mi9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk
So when does Head bowl,I am saying Maxwells, last test innings were on the tour of India in 2017 and averaged near 40.Correct call over all his 7 test matches he averages 26.

Who should

Wade
Paine
Starc
Lyon
Harris
Langer

Aussie commentators that constantly talk early declarations at 250 leads and mention highest winning totals rather than mentioning all 4th innings totals at said venues.

Who will....

Probably Wade and that's it.

Captaincy isn’t as important as you think it is judging by your post. Richie Benaud even admitted its 90 percent luck 10 percent skills.
And yet, Mike Brearley won multiple Ashes series including one in Australia. And - even if you take Richie at his word there, when he's talking about such an statistically immeasurable thing as the value of good leadership - why would you willingly relinquish 10% of your chance to win?

What Richie is indicating there is that talent/XI quality is a better indicator of victory than superior captaincy, which is unequivocally true. But that does not undermine good captaincy as a factor in winning or - more importantly - not losing. In this series, Rahane has demonstrated that as a captain he can instill his batting order - as thin as it has been - with real grit, with a bit of daring as well as the luxury of being allowed to be themselves. They've played with more freedom than any touring side here has ever seemed to; Pujara allowed to bat as slowly as he wants, Pant allowed to live as dangerously as he wants. Us, on the other hand, have looked as though we're dragged down by what we've not been allowed to do; you cannot challenge the bouncer, cannot play at the wide half volley, can't challenge the spinners straight of the wicket; can't do this, can't do that. We've played as though scared of failure, and we've played as though hampered by our coaching and our captain.

Captaincy is certainly as important as I said in my post. Bad leadership can imprison you, and good leadership set you free.

Last edited:
The problem Australia has with its Test team is not so much who to select or omit for the next series. It is more about who will they be able to select in the next 5 years. Australian cricket has become lazy in many ways than one. It's too easy for them right now to sit back and let the money roll in from BBL and do precious little else for the growth of the game.

The fact is, Australian cricket has a very poor structure right now that is not allowing for identifying future Test cricketers and promoting them through the system. We are seeing the ridiculous situation where everything is put on hold to promote a hit and giggle T20 competition. No Sheffield Shield cricket is played for an entire 2 months while we invite people to come from overseas to see how many times they can hit a ball into the stands.

While we continue to struggle through a series of Test matches, if a player is out of form, where do they go to regain form? Who can we select from as their replacements? The BBL is packed with average overseas players who aren't available to play for Australia anyway, the rest are average Sheffield Shield players, most of whom have ordinary 1st class records. Look through the Sheffield Shield teams right now. How many younger players (under 25) are serious contenders for a baggy green?

And if you look to the Sheffield Shield for Test replacements, you will find most of the players who are performing well are players who have been tried and failed. Yes, we've unearthed a couple of handy players in Pucovski and Green, and hopefully they will kick on. They are the exception to the norm. If all states were being honest with themselves, can they honestly say they have a handful of young players who are destined for Test cricket? I guarantee there are no young Pontings or Clarkes working their way through the system. Any talented kid these days would rather spend their time with their heads in the air trying to hit white balls into the crowd.

Have a look at my state, South Australia. We have Head who has played and struggled, we have Carey who never plays Sheffield Shield so he would struggle if suddenly called into the Test team. The rest, not up to it. And you ask why. Look at our local grade competition. We wonder why our players struggle to play 4 day games when the grade competition is littered with one day games. You rarely see a two day game anymore. There used to be state second XI games, what's happened to them?

And in those one day games, do they even spend the entire game out in the middle? Nope. If a team is bowled out for 80, the opposition passes them by mid-afternoon, then it's off to do something else. And the worst part is, all the players doing really well are those who have been tried and tried before, and have failed. It is very difficult to find a young talent who could even play for the Redbacks, let alone Australia.

Cricket is letting itself down badly in Australia right now, and unless we change our tune rapidly, all we'll be watching soon is dopey T20 hit and giggle matches.

Last edited:
Would love the BBL to start mid Jan and run to mid Feb
That will never happen, early January is a free-hit for them attendance-wise. And those numbers certainly do drop in February, given families are the target market.

The solution is to have Boxing Day close out the Test schedule, and don't bother with white ball internationals until after the BBL (which should run from NYE to Australia Day every year).

The real reason this series was even close is because Smith and Warner's preparation consisted of goofing off with 50-over slogfests while Rahane, Pujara, Gill, Vihari, Pant, Ashwin and Siraj were playing 3-day cricket on the other side of town.

The preoccupation with BBL (and the resulting decimation of Shield and long-form cricket) means that our Test team will probably continue to struggle with depth. It's the sad reality that we just have to deal with - we are now seriously contemplating throwing in good BBL players into the Test team, that's what it's come to...

That will never happen, early January is a free-hit for them attendance-wise. And those numbers certainly do drop in February, given families are the target market.

The solution is to have Boxing Day close out the Test schedule, and don't bother with white ball internationals until after the BBL (which should run from NYE to Australia Day every year).

The real reason this series was even close is because Smith and Warner's preparation consisted of goofing off with 50-over slogfests while Rahane, Pujara, Gill, Vihari, Pant, Ashwin and Siraj were playing 3-day cricket on the other side of town.

And why doesn't Boxing Day close out the Test schedule?

Every year there is a gaping hole in the sports calendar between the AFL GF held in the last week of September, and the first international cricket event which is usually the start of November if not later. In 2019 for example the first test was on November 21.

We could easily be starting that schedule in the middle of October with the first Test at the start of November, if not earlier. Get through a series of short form internationals in October, then run Test and Shield in November-December. Take a month off in January to run the entire BBL if required, then return for a second series of short form internationals in February.

I don't really understand why cricket doesn't capitalize on that October-November schedule gap

Look at his strike rate. Too low to ever be an effective test bat.He struggled to get off strike and seemed timid to take risks.

He will improve but he looked like he is not quite ready. Needs to work out how to work the ball and get off strike imo.
Too low to be an effective test player? Pujara just played 2 important innings in Sydney and the Gabba as he has done his whole career with a strike rate for this series of 29.

I agree at times he got stuck at one end, but that will come with experience.

Got plenty of starts and occupied the crease. Something we have been crying out for from a middle order player for a long time. You dont drop a player who performed fairly reasonably for his first series and tell him to go back to the Shield and work on rotating the strike :drunk:

And yet, Mike Brearley won multiple Ashes series including one in Australia. And - even if you take Richie at his word there, when he's talking about such an statistically immeasurable thing as the value of good leadership - why would you willingly relinquish 10% of your chance to win?

What Richie is indicating there is that talent/XI quality is a better indicator of victory than superior captaincy, which is unequivocally true. But that does not undermine good captaincy as a factor in winning or - more importantly - not losing. In this series, Rahane has demonstrated that as a captain he can instill his batting order - as thin as it has been - with real grit, with a bit of daring as well as the luxury of being allowed to be themselves. They've played with more freedom than any touring side here has ever seemed to; Pujara allowed to bat as slowly as he wants, Pant allowed to live as dangerously as he wants. Us, on the other hand, have looked as though we're dragged down by what we've not been allowed to do; you cannot challenge the bouncer, cannot play at the wide half volley, can't challenge the spinners straight of the wicket; can't do this, can't do that. We've played as though scared of failure, and we've played as though hampered by our coaching and our captain.

Captaincy is certainly as important as I said in my post. Bad leadership can imprison you, and good leadership set you free.
Brearley was a great captain undoubtedly, but I'm not sure I would be listing the 78-79 Ashes win as anything outstanding.

Too low to be an effective test player? Pujara just played 2 important innings in Sydney and the Gabba as he has done his whole career with a strike rate for this series of 29.

Got plenty of starts and occupied the crease. Something we have been crying out for from a middle order player for a long time. You dont drop a player who performed fairly reasonably for his first series and tell him to go back to the Shield and work on rotating the strike :drunk:

This. Meanwhile, we have a merry-go-round of the flash harry types (like Travis Head) for whom staying power is only a distant dream at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think he wanted Maxy in to slog a few and get out playing a reverse ramp shot to a spinner

And if you look to the Sheffield Shield for Test replacements, you will find most of the players who are performing well are players who have been tried and failed. Yes, we've unearthed a couple of handy players in Pucovski and Green, and hopefully they will kick on. They are the exception to the norm. If all states were being honest with themselves, can they honestly say they have a handful of young players who are destined for Test cricket? I guarantee there are no young Pontings or Clarkes working their way through the system. Any talented kid these days would rather spend their time with their heads in the air trying to hit white balls into the crowd.
From what I can see, in terms of the batting we have four top shelf talents in the earlier 20's or younger - Pucosvski, Green, Sangha, Fraser-McGurk. With the latter two, Sangha has gone backwards and is not even a regular in the shield player at the moment and Fraser-McGurk is still very young. There could be a few others floating around that I haven't seen because I'm not super familiar with the under 19 scene any more. But you can tell it's not particularly strong just by looking at the performances of the young guys coming through.

You can take as given that most talents won't reach their potential, which means our margin for error on our highly talented young batsmen is razor thing and if they don't make it, the bulk of our batting will be turning to honest toilers like Bryce Street, Daniel Solway, Ben McDermott who - whilst decent enough cricketers in their own right - will almost certainly just be next generation of Marcus North, Ed Cowan and Joe Burns.

Last edited:
I don't know anymore. Now that we have seen what day-night fixtures deliver, I would've thought the Pink Test in Sydney would be worth more to CA if it was played with a pink ball in early December.

There's nothing wrong with the NY test in Sydney and that has become an event in it's own right, but with the advancement of the BBL, we have hit a precarious position because the very recent form we are selecting on is as far removed as it can be from test cricket. This summer that has been exacerbated because of COVID, but even in the best of circumstances bringing in someone for the final test of the summer has meant they haven't played first class cricket for at least three weeks and often they've been surrounded by the T20 circus in that period. You can get away with it for series against the likes of Sri Lanka, but it's far from ideal for say an Ashes series.

There's not as many dead rubbers now as there was during the golden era when we were wiping the floor with touring teams, but we still have our fair share. It would take away from the Boxing Day test if that was to become one every second summer. I know Sydney fans were getting pretty jack of how often the test was played after a series was decided.

The problem Australia has with its Test team is not so much who to select or omit for the next series. It is more about who will they be able to select in the next 5 years. Australian cricket has become lazy in many ways than one. It's too easy for them right now to sit back and let the money roll in from BBL and do precious little else for the growth of the game.

The fact is, Australian cricket has a very poor structure right now that is not allowing for identifying future Test cricketers and promoting them through the system. We are seeing the ridiculous situation where everything is put on hold to promote a hit and giggle T20 competition. No Sheffield Shield cricket is played for an entire 2 months while we invite people to come from overseas to see how many times that can hit a ball into the stands.

While we continue to struggle through a series of Test matches, if a player is out of form, where do they go to regain form? Who can we select from as their replacements? The BBL is packed with average overseas players who aren't available to play for Australia anyway, the rest are average Sheffield Shield players, most of whom have ordinary 1st class records. Look through the Sheffield Shield teams right now. How many younger players (under 25) are serious contenders for a baggy green?

Have a look at my state, South Australia. We have Head who has played and struggled, we have Carey who never plays Sheffield Shield so he would struggle if suddenly called into the Test team. The rest, not up to it. And you ask why. Look at our local grade competition. We wonder why our players struggle to play 4 days game when the grade competition is littered with one day games. You rarely see a two day game anymore. There used to be state second XI games, what's happened to them?

And in those one day games, do they even spend the entire game out in the middle? Nope. If a team is bowled out for 80, the opposition passes them by mid-afternoon, then it's off to do something else. And the worst part is, all the players doing really well are those who have been tried and tried before, and have failed. It is very difficult to find a young talent who could even play for the Redbacks, let alone Australia.

Cricket is letting itself down badly in Australia right now, and unless we change our tune rapidly, all we'll be watching soon is dopey T20 hit and giggle matches.

The Kayo/Fox coverage had Harsha Boyle mention the need and results of ‘A’ tours being given more opportunities for guys like Gill, Pant, Saini and Sundar.

Australia’s ‘A’ teams are guys not good enough for
International cricket but too good for FC cricket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact is, Australian cricket has a very poor structure right now that is not allowing for identifying future Test cricketers and promoting them through the system. We are seeing the ridiculous situation where everything is put on hold to promote a hit and giggle T20 competition. No Sheffield Shield cricket is played for an entire 2 months while we invite people to come from overseas to see how many times that can hit a ball into the stands.

Have a look at my state, South Australia. We have Head who has played and struggled, we have Carey who never plays Sheffield Shield so he would struggle if suddenly called into the Test team. The rest, not up to it. And you ask why. Look at our local grade competition. We wonder why our players struggle to play 4 days game when the grade competition is littered with one day games. You rarely see a two day game anymore. There used to be state second XI games, what's happened to them?

The Kayo/Fox coverage had Harsha Boyle mention the need and results of ‘A’ tours being given more opportunities for guys like Gill, Pant, Saini and Sundar.

I don't know anymore. Now that we have seen what day-night fixtures deliver, I would've thought the Pink Test in Sydney would be worth more to CA if it was played with a pink ball in early December.

Could help if the New Years test was played on New Years Day or at the latest the 2nd of January not the 7th or whatever it was this year. It’s on a week later than it needs to be.

Could help if the New Years test was played on New Years Day or at the latest the 2nd of January not the 7th or whatever it was this year. It’s on a week later than it needs to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back