So who replaces Luke Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
I haven't seen any thread that focuses on the strategy to replace one of our defensive pillars in Browny. He's a quiet achiever but is critical in shutting down the best opposition small in our defensive zone. In the new era of bomb it long to the tall timber with the 6-6-6 formation, Brown type players are going to be key.

We are now without him for 2 months, at least.

Shifting Dude or Lairdy onto that role denies the side of their role and value. Brown's position must be addressed via a replacement and at the moment that could be Mackay...

But there are other options.

Sholl - looked good in JLT1 but is brand new and it would be a bit too much I think.

Gooch - hasn't played back there but has the speed and height to do well in the role and has a few attributes in creating in the offense

Murphy - played there previously in SANFL and juniors, has the tackling tenacity and agility, but could be exposed by some of the more agile indigenous boys on the opposition

McHenry - has the speed and tackling desire to make them really earn it, could be a great position for him, but again bloody young.

We need a solution and not just JLT, but up to the bye potentially.

Would love to see Chayce Jones be given a chance in that position. He couldn't go wrong with Smith, Laird, Milera, Talia and co back there with him. Goodwin and Edwards learnt their craft in the backline initially.
I'd agree with this but he is midfield only talent.

Three options
Bran Nue Mackae
Andy Otten or
Richard Douglas

It’s clearly stated on the #Vaderlist.

The Universal Principle of Football in operation again.

Mackay on the verge of getting squeezed out. That obviously cannot happen. Hence this.

Milera/Smith to be pushed up the field? Not anymore. At the end of this Brown shuffle there will be a spot there for an outside runner.

And once he's in, he's in. Possession is 9/10ths the law.

Mackay on the verge of getting squeezed out. That obviously cannot happen. Hence this.

Milera/Smith to be pushed up the field? Not anymore. At the end of this Brown shuffle there will be a spot there for an outside runner.

Glorious.

I'd like to see it as an opportunity to get games into one of our highly touted draftees i.e. McHenry or Jones.

Some say Murphy.

However, it will be Kelly. None of the others have trained with the backs this year. Kelly knows the new 666 gameplan.

If it's Dmac, Ima get real drunk and rantpost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its like he has naked pics of God

We could do a lot worse than David Mackay covering for Brown. I’d give Kelly a crack, but I can see Mackay getting the nod. I can understand the lols if we do. We’ve got enough run and carry defenders and we need to cover a lock down defender and Kelly fits the bill much better.

But it’s not exactly outrageous. I’m not taking chances on a 1st year player in R1 against Hawthorn. Poppy may be nearing the end of his career, but I wouldn’t be putting raw youth against that kind of experience.

That is a must win game that hopefully sets the tone for the season. Kelly or Mackay. Douglas might be a decent match up on Poppy.

I haven't seen any thread that focuses on the strategy to replace one of our defensive pillars in Browny. He's a quiet achiever but is critical in shutting down the best opposition small in our defensive zone. In the new era of bomb it long to the tall timber with the 6-6-6 formation, Brown type players are going to be key.

We are now without him for 2 months, at least.

Shifting Dude or Lairdy onto that role denies the side of their role and value. Brown's position must be addressed via a replacement and at the moment that could be Mackay...

But there are other options.

Sholl - looked good in JLT1 but is brand new and it would be a bit too much I think.

Gooch - hasn't played back there but has the speed and height to do well in the role and has a few attributes in creating in the offense

Murphy - played there previously in SANFL and juniors, has the tackling tenacity and agility, but could be exposed by some of the more agile indigenous boys on the opposition

McHenry - has the speed and tackling desire to make them really earn it, could be a great position for him, but again bloody young.

We need a solution and not just JLT, but up to the bye potentially.

Kelly has been absent from memory most poster's best 22. His only role is as a lock down defender. But you're right, old run and carry Mackay is perfectly suited to get first crack at it.

We could do a lot worse than David Mackay covering for Brown. I’d give Kelly a crack, but I can see Mackay getting the nod. I can understand the lols if we do. We’ve got enough run and carry defenders and we need to cover a lock down defender and Kelly fits the bill much better.

But it’s not exactly outrageous. I’m not taking chances on a 1st year player in R1 against Hawthorn. Poppy may be nearing the end of his career, but I wouldn’t be putting raw youth against that kind of experience.

That is a must win game that hopefully sets the tone for the season. Kelly or Mackay. Douglas might be a decent match up on Poppy.
We have enough attacking defenders, Mackay has proven he's a poor defender ......that's a no from me

I don't think Kelly is great as a lock down on a small. He lacks strength in the hips, agility and speed imo. Not too bad in the air but not good either.

He showed on the weekend that his kicking has improved and his rebound was great. That's the only spot I like him atm.

Kelly would be eaten alive by a half decent small. Think Kelly on Rioli, Liam Ryan, Greshsm, Rayner, Zorko.

No thanks. A mid sized forward no problem but a quick small.....
How long is Brown out for? Pretty sure none of the teams we play in the first month are known for elite small forwards anymore HAW, GEEL, SYD, NTH? Then we have GCS and Freo would do have good ones, but I don't see them as being particularly tough beats either.

And if he's out for 8 weeks from today then Brown should be cherry ripe by week 7.

Last edited:
Im not sure we even try and cover Brown with a like for like. It wouldn’t surprise me if we just role with Milera, Laird, Doedee and Smith on the backline and try and beat the team on their talent alone.

Probably role with Kelly as the guy on the pine as he can fill in as a more lock down option when needed.

If a small got off the leash it wouldn’t surprise me to see Milera sent to them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back