So who replaces Luke Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Kelly deserves the spot. He was doing well for us in 2017. He was out of form due to team instability last year as well as him being tried in various other positions.
If we put him in his natural role as a defender then we might see him come back to form again. Also, the fact we delisted Cheney appears to me we still have a lot of faith in Kelly.

Hadn’t heard he was playing forward. But I rarely venture over to the Geelong board these days.

But last year they were both pretty adamant and repetitive that Ablett was a Midfieder first and foremost, and Specifically NOT a small forward. If that’s changed then it’s news to me, but yeah of coarse a duel Brownlow medalist is Pretty damn Elite.

Further to this discussion I still am not sure Ablett is uncontainable by the combination of Doedee, Milera, Laird, Smith and Kelly IMHO though. In fact with his documented lack of defensive pressure it might end up being a blessing. I mean, considering our game plan what would be more damaging, Ablett with 3 goals, or Smith with 25 disposals and 600+ meters gained?
I didn't get that from the Geelong board, there's been plenty of media stating just that.

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-02-05/ablett-to-play-forward

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...e/news-story/ad422e6cb7a20db65a8c7653c38afaae

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k=6c1bd5c5134b63bef19c128e95c765e4-1551841864

That bloke Wingard goes alright if he's fit. Clearly recruited to replace Cyril IMO.

You mean the averages 20 disposals and a goal Wingard from Port?

We can only hope Hawks are stupid enough to waste Wingard as a small forward, and not have him spend most of his time around the midfield.

Soooo, a Geelong Cats website article posted yesterday.

Or a blocked Geelong Newspaper article (where I get all my news) that was probably posted yesterday.

Or an web article, also posted yesterday....

Mate I wouldn’t call that “plenty”, thats more, sorry I didn’t spend my entire day yesterday researching 34 year old players on opposition teams... kinda stuff

Hadn’t heard he was playing forward. But I rarely venture over to the Geelong board these days.

But last year they were both pretty adamant and repetitive that Ablett was a Midfieder first and foremost, and Specifically NOT a small forward. If that’s changed then it’s news to me, but yeah of coarse a duel Brownlow medalist is Pretty damn Elite.

Further to this discussion I still am not sure Ablett is uncontainable by the combination of Doedee, Milera, Laird, Smith and Kelly IMHO though. In fact with his documented lack of defensive pressure it might end up being a blessing. I mean, considering our game plan what would be more damaging, Ablett with 3 goals, or Smith with 25 disposals and 600+ meters gained?

Easily contained by that lot. Ablett is just about done as a footballer.

You mean the 20 disposals and a goal Wingard from Port?

We can only hope Hawks are stupid enough to waste Wingard as a small forward.
Clarkson is not stupid, Wingard just like Rioli is a Forward, not a small forward. Wingard's most dangerous when played Forward.

Soooo, a Geelong Cats website article posted yesterday.

Or a blocked Geelong Newspaper article (where I get all my news) that was probably posted yesterday.

Or an web article, also posted yesterday....

Mate I wouldn’t call that “plenty”, thats more, sorry I didn’t spend my entire day yesterday researching 34 year old players on opposition teams... kinda stuff
Maaate, this has been out there in the media for a couple of months, the Geelong Advertiser article was dated December 27,

https://outline.com/nLAFMa

Geelong Cats: Gary Ablett under pressure to play modern forward role
December 27, 2018

Gary Ablett’s days in the midfield appear numbered as the Cats formulate a plan to move him into a more regular forward role.

Here's another from February 5.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...rward-role-for-geelong-in-2019-ng-b881095900z

This from December 12 2018.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-12/ablett-set-to-add-to-cats-small-forward-logjam

Clarkson is not stupid, Wingard just like Rioli is a Forward, not a small forward. Wingard's most dangerous when played Forward.

Not at all. Those aren't numbers representing someone who is suited as a small forward (which is what Roili filled, small forward with some midfield time). 20 disposals, 1 goal are pushing elite outside midfield numbers and this is someone who apparently had focus issues to the point his club kicked him to the curb (and Port have been pushing Wingard to be a full time mid for a while).

This is someone who has the talent level of a top 5 midfielder in the competition, easily. We are counting our lucky stars if the Hawks decide he's a Cyril clone because a truly focused Wingard is very much capable of doing much more damage to opposition teams.

I would like to see Murphy given a go to replace Brown. I think he could do a good job down there.
The trouble for the player replacing Brown is that when he is fit again, they find themselves out of the team, even if they do well.
I don't think Kelly has the agility to go with the small forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maaate, this has been out there in the media for a couple of months, the Geelong Advertiser article was dated December 27,

https://outline.com/nLAFMa

Geelong Cats: Gary Ablett under pressure to play modern forward role
December 27, 2018

Gary Ablett’s days in the midfield appear numbered as the Cats formulate a plan to move him into a more regular forward role.

Here's another from February 5.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...rward-role-for-geelong-in-2019-ng-b881095900z

This from December 12 2018.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-12/ablett-set-to-add-to-cats-small-forward-logjam
I guess I must have just subconsciously avoided any news on Geelong players in the last 3 months. Must be an offseason defense mechanism I wasn't aware i'd built up.

Offsetting the overload of Vic Media/Geelong circle jerks that we all need to suffer through during the year!

Not at all. Those aren't numbers representing someone who is suited as a small forward (which is what Roili filled, small forward with some midfield time). 20 disposals, 1 goal are pushing elite outside midfield numbers and this is someone who apparently had focus issues to the point his club kicked him to the curb (and Port have been pushing Wingard to be a full time mid for a while).

This is someone who has the talent level of a top 5 midfielder in the competition, easily. We are counting our lucky stars if the Hawks decide he's a Cyril clone because a truly focused Wingard is very much capable of doing much more damage to opposition teams.

Chad said Clarko wants him as a half-forward.

1551845267028.png

LOL you quote the seasons where Wingard has played more midfield than Forward.

Both are at their most dangerous played Forward.

Rioli's best returns ever were 2015 [ 42 goals - 24 games] and 2016 [47 goals - 21 games]

Wingard's best returns 2015 [ 53 goals - 22 games] and 2014 [43 goals - 24 games]

It's gotta be horses for courses depending who they are going to have to match up on week to week.
Out of some of the names mentioned above:

Luke Brown is 181cm 79kgs
Jake Kelly is 189cm 84kgs
Lachlan Murphy is 176cm 76kgs
Ned McHenry is 179cm 70 kgs
David Mackay is 183cm 75 kgs
Riley Knight is 181cm 81kgs

Paul Pupolo is 173cm 76kgs
Chad Wingard is 182cm 77kgs
Gary Ablett is 182cm 82kgs
Isaac Heeney is 186 85kgs
Jack Ziebell is 188cm 88kgs

You'd want to have someone like a Murphy or McHenry on a Pupolo - (ground level agility)
Wingard you might play a Knight or a Kelly (aerial threat plus running)
Ablett you need Knight or Kelly (hard to tackle, accumulation, run)
Heeney is more a midfielder (but Kelly is probably most suited)
Ziebell is bloody strong, you might play a bigger guy like Hartigan (194cm 98kgs) on him or most likely Doedee (188cm 88kgs), out of the list above Kelly would get him and Brown would probably be too small anyway.

I can't see Mackay as being contested enough or having the nous to go with a Pupolo, Wingard or Ablett. Would rather have almost anyone else but him marking the dangerous ground level forwards.

The Universal Principle of Football in operation again.

Mackay on the verge of getting squeezed out. That obviously cannot happen. Hence this.

Milera/Smith to be pushed up the field? Not anymore. At the end of this Brown shuffle there will be a spot there for an outside runner.

And once he's in, he's in. Possession is 9/10ths the law.
He's injured though, right?

Why is everyone mentioning Kelly when he was in the team for all bar 3 games last year? He's not exactly an inclusion into the team when he's already been there to begin with.

I guess maybe it's a shift of roles to accommodate Smith.

Why is everyone mentioning Kelly when he was in the team for all bar 3 games last year? He's not exactly an inclusion into the team when he's already been there to begin with.

I guess maybe it's a shift of roles to accommodate Smith.
Because Kelly isn't in our best 22 with Smith returning & the development of Milera & Doedee.

However, Kelly is a lockdown defender which makes him the obvious replacement for Brown, particularly as he is in good form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back