So who replaces Luke Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Might get laughed out of town here, but i'd be tempted to try a more attacking back 6, with Laird trying Brown's role against the smaller guys. Lets us have both Milera and Smith back there - pretty formidable.

Doedee - Hartigan - Laird
Milera - Talia - Smith

Hartigan easily - assuming he is fit

Hartigan our best defender for dual threat forwards like Gray, Danger, De Goey, etc.

Doedee can shuffle to a weaker forward letting him intercept and rebound more.

Chad said Clarko wants him as a half-forward.

View attachment 630278

So smallish forward with some midfield rotations, and if that is the case, it's good news for us.

For all the danger Wingard has as a forward, it ups dramatically the more he is spending in the midfield.

LOL you quote the seasons where Wingard has played more midfield than Forward.

Both are at their most dangerous played Forward.

Rioli's best returns ever were 2015 [ 42 goals - 24 games] and 2016 [47 goals - 21 games]

Wingard's best returns 2015 [ 53 goals - 22 games] and 2014 [43 goals - 24 games]

Of course I did, because that line of 20 disposals/1 goal per game is the gold standard for a midfielder (there is something like 8 people in the league who achieved this in 2018). Doubly scary for someone who was apparently disengaged at his current club which indicates this is much closer to the floor then the ceiling.

If Wingard could eek that disposal count up to 23ish (ridiculously doable) + keep that goal a game he would be that much more dangerous, and influencing hawks games that much more then anything he could achieve at small forward. Even if Wingard kicked 50+ a year from here in that 20/1 line is still so much more valuable.

Hawks want him as a forward primarily is a very good thing for us and the rest of our league because there is a level of wasting talent to it.

Would love to see Chayce Jones be given a chance in that position. He couldn't go wrong with Smith, Laird, Milera, Talia and co back there with him. Goodwin and Edwards learnt their craft in the backline initially.

Brown usually takes the deepest small forward. I think Jones would get slaughtered in that role in his first game of AFL. If we wanted him to have his pants pulled down, it's probably a great place to start him.

No obvious replacement. I agree with some of the posts above Kelly is probably not a replacement as such but may have to play a slightly different role. I don't think we have many other options unless as suggested one of our more attacking defenders plays a lock down role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back