So why aren't you going to the footy ?

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The standard of footy has gone down from the extra clubs still diluting the talent.

I don't mind a Tassie team but 19 teams is too many. Far too many and AFL HQ is getting way ahead of itself and should be consolidating rather than expanding

That's the biggest crock of s**t argument out there

You're telling me, that an extra team that might draft 3 kids on draft night is stretching the talent too far??? WHAT CRAP

The problem you have with regards to talent spreading across teams, is actually driven from the old "loyalty" mindset, where players stay at clubs hoping to get a chance, rather than sway clubs to get that chance...

Effectively now you have each teams best 22 players on the park, meaning 396 blokes playing each week...

If you honestly believe that can't be stretched to 418 then you have no idea. Hell, just take every club's sub for the week, and you have 18 ready to take the field anyway...

The top end talent is there, and always will be there, infact you could even expand to 20 teams and you will be fine for top end talent.
Getting them drafted, developed and/or traded to be evenly spread across the league is a challenge, but not that the talent doesn't exist

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

You're telling me, that an extra team that might draft 3 kids on draft night is stretching the talent too far??? WHAT CRAP

The problem you have with regards to talent spreading across teams, is actually driven from the old "loyalty" mindset, where players stay at clubs hoping to get a chance, rather than sway clubs to get that chance...

Effectively now you have each teams best 22 players on the park, meaning 396 blokes playing each week...

If you honestly believe that can't be stretched to 418 then you have no idea. Hell, just take every club's sub for the week, and you have 18 ready to take the field anyway...

The top end talent is there, and always will be there, infact you could even expand to 20 teams and you will be fine for top end talent.
Getting them drafted, developed and/or traded to be evenly spread across the league is a challenge, but not that the talent doesn't exist

that and 4 interchanges from 2 meaning 7 teams have been added when Adelaide Crows(actually make that West Coast) came in excluding the Swans and Lions

Why do you think Geelong keep making finals? Competition has to be getting worse

In the 1980's no way Joel Selwood would have lasted this long let alone Higgins or Dalhuis

Last edited:

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
that and 4 interchanges from 2 meaning 7 teams have been added when Adelaide Crows came in excluding the Swans and Lions

Why do you think Geelong keep making finals? Competition has to be getting worse

In the 1980's no way Joel Selwood would have lasted this long let alone Higgins or Dalhuis

A lot of players didn't also enter the VFL before theose teams either, botht he WAFL and SANFL comps were 10 times stronger than now becuase players didn't move

Geelong keep making finals because of two things...
1- to their credit the draft relatively well and recruit players who will always keep them competitive. They are one club who has embraced trading and FA which proves the point I made in my first statement. Clubs who aren't embracing it are falling behind.
2- their sh!tty ground. It is the biggest home ground advantage in the league and they play it extremely well. They win a lot of 50/50 games there that they would otherwise lose playing elsewhere

Michael Tuck and Kevin Bartlett played a lot of footy in the 70's/80's, even held the record in the comp, so your Joel Selwood call is off too. if a club is prepared to carry a player like Joel, the depth of the comp has absolutely nothing to do with their choice to do so. They had a ready made player in Narkle waiting and playing well last year if they wanted to get rid of Joel, which on form they should have, but chose not to... so not a matter of depth...

Next

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
A lot of players didn't also enter the VFL before theose teams either, botht he WAFL and SANFL comps were 10 times stronger than now becuase players didn't move

Geelong keep making finals because of two things...
1- to their credit the draft relatively well and recruit players who will always keep them competitive. They are one club who has embraced trading and FA which proves the point I made in my first statement. Clubs who aren't embracing it are falling behind.
2- their sh!tty ground. It is the biggest home ground advantage in the league and they play it extremely well. They win a lot of 50/50 games there that they would otherwise lose playing elsewhere

Michael Tuck and Kevin Bartlett played a lot of footy in the 70's/80's, even held the record in the comp, so your Joel Selwood call is off too. if a club is prepared to carry a player like Joel, the depth of the comp has absolutely nothing to do with their choice to do so. They had a ready made player in Narkle waiting and playing well last year if they wanted to get rid of Joel, which on form they should have, but chose not to... so not a matter of depth...

Next

Bartlett was better than Selwood. Are you serious?

I think per capita more played footy back then to draw on

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Bartlett was better than Selwood. Are you serious?

I think per capita more played footy back then to draw on
Bartlett may have been better but Selwood has 6xAA (3 x captain), 3 B&F's and a swag of other achievements so is not that far off, certainly better than Tuck. The talent is there across the board but often due to coaching and team structures, a relatively new thing, maybe some players are not able to express that talent like the 'good old days'. The old play the percentages factor, try telling that to Carmen or Capper.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Bartlett may have been better but Selwood has 6xAA (3 x captain), 3 B&F's and a swag of other achievements so is not that far off, certainly better than Tuck. The talent is there across the board but often due to coaching and team structures, a relatively new thing, maybe some players are not able to express that talent like the 'good old days'. The old play the percentages factor, try telling that to Carmen or Capper.

Yeah but the argument is would Selwood lasted as long back in the day?? Selwood is just going just now and Bartlett could have played on for a few more years probably

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
When Bartlett played the majority of his games
All Australian selections were every 4 years

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Bartlett was 3 times the footballer than selwood
Well according to mark Thompson...
"He is incredible... he is the best young kid we've had at the club by a mile.
"And we're talking about Joel Corey, Cameron Ling, Paul Chapman, Gary Ablett Jnr, Jimmy Bartel - he is the best we've had.

Whilst I agree with you in regard to Bartlett's greatness, I think Selwood would be up there with some of the greatest ever at Geelong.

2 x the player maybe.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Well according to mark Thompson...
"He is incredible... he is the best young kid we've had at the club by a mile.
"And we're talking about Joel Corey, Cameron Ling, Paul Chapman, Gary Ablett Jnr, Jimmy Bartel - he is the best we've had.

Whilst I agree with you in regard to Bartlett's greatness, I think Selwood would be up there with some of the greatest ever at Geelong.

2 x the player maybe.
OK 2 and a half

Growapair

Club Legend
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Blah blah blah

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
That standards you walk past are the standards you accept.

Of course I watch them on TV, I still love my club but I don't support what the AFL have done to the sport. It's unrecognisable and half way to AFLX being a virtually non contact sport - every contest there's a whistle, every 15 seconds.

I don't buy the hogwash that if we don't go then somehow Richmond are in trouble financially given the AFL subsidise most of the clubs through the powerful clubs anyway.

The fans are voting with their feet, record low crowds and the AFL are panicking - they're giving out free tickets like candy and it's still not working - not ideal timing for their TV deal.

I didn't miss a game since 2009 and but now haven't attended since the St Kilda game and won't return until the rules are scaled back.

Long may it continue.
If people don't wake up now then it's a lost cause and they're suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Wake the * up and stop supporting the AFL corruption.

Jan 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL hate of Richmond has meant I no longer enjoy the game.
In a nutshell this covers it.
I knew after the last couple of matches that the Tiges would get reemed this week and they went in with both barrels like Tommy Stewart.
As soon as the Tiges make ground we get pulled back again. It's actually predictable now. As a result I *ing hate the afl and refuse to go to games.

Back