So why aren't you going to the footy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

the poll on the main board also has rule changes/ umpiring miles out in front

But old mate MadTiger said we're all lying and it's not the rule changes? How can this be?

There isn’t one player currently in the game who is genuine puller of crowds like the richo’s , Ablett senior , Lockett , Dunstal, Voss , hird etc etc.
darcy parish ?

I ask the question is the problem, like other parts of society, it has gone too woke??

I went and saw a comedy act on the weekend for a hour and it did not grab me. In the end I figured it was too woke for me for w***ers basically.

I look at news,com.au now and one article has Christina Aguilera in a shot on stage with a franger hanging off a bodysuit.

What is the world coming to?
reckon in 30 years blokes having their dicks out through a hole in their pants in public will be the norm

Same reason why I don’t really go to the cinemas anymore - there isn’t a lot of good things to watch.

The major rule changes introduced means that there isn’t a lot of variations to game styles between teams.

It used to be interesting seeing the structure of teams in the past like when West Coast had the ‘Weagles Web’ in 2015 or Sydney had the ‘slingshot style’ in 2014-2016 or Fremantle had the whole team defence in 2013-2015 or Collingwood packed numbers in their forward line in 2010s (well at least I think that’s what they did) or Hawthorn’s elite kicking style of 2012-2015 or even Richmond’s perceived pressure on the kicker while on the mark. Even Bulldogs’ third man up in the ruck was interesting. Teams had more freedom in setting up on the field in unique ways so it was interesting going to the game and having an overview on how teams set up off the ball.

Now they got rid of the third man up by nominating in the ruck, brought in ‘deliberate’, brought in 6-6-6 formation at centre bounces, brought in the stand rule, brought in dissent etc. This is probably the most uniform I have seen teams play since I started watching. I’m not an expert by any means because I’ve only watched the game closely for just over 10 years, but that’s why I don’t go anymore. The experience is boring. The way Richmond play is the way Port Adelaide play and the way Brisbane play and the way Melbourne play and the way Bulldogs play and the way St Kilda play and the way Fremantle play etc. The only major difference between the sides is what part of the ground they’re good at. I can watch that on Kayo tbh. I don’t need to go to the game to watch teams play in the same way.

Another reason is obviously the introduction of streaming services and live games free to air. In the past, the games were on delayed and if you didn’t have Foxtel then you may as well go to the game to watch it live. We don’t need to do that anymore.

Same reason why I don’t really go to the cinemas anymore - there isn’t a lot of good things to watch.

The major rule changes introduced means that there isn’t a lot of variations to game styles between teams.

It used to be interesting seeing the structure of teams in the past like when West Coast had the ‘Weagles Web’ in 2015 or Sydney had the ‘slingshot style’ in 2014-2016 or Fremantle had the whole team defence in 2013-2015 or Collingwood packed numbers in their forward line in 2010s (well at least I think that’s what they did) or Hawthorn’s elite kicking style of 2012-2015 or even Richmond’s perceived pressure on the kicker while on the mark. Even Bulldogs’ third man up in the ruck was interesting. Teams had more freedom in setting up on the field in unique ways so it was interesting going to the game and having an overview on how teams set up off the ball.

Now they got rid of the third man up by nominating in the ruck, brought in ‘deliberate’, brought in 6-6-6 formation at centre bounces, brought in the stand rule, brought in dissent etc. This is probably the most uniform I have seen teams play since I started watching. I’m not an expert by any means because I’ve only watched the game closely for just over 10 years, but that’s why I don’t go anymore. The experience is boring. The way Richmond play is the way Port Adelaide play and the way Brisbane play and the way Melbourne play and the way Bulldogs play and the way St Kilda play and the way Fremantle play etc. The only major difference between the sides is what part of the ground they’re good at. I can watch that on Kayo tbh. I don’t need to go to the game to watch teams play in the same way.

Another reason is obviously the introduction of streaming services and live games free to air. In the past, the games were on delayed and if you didn’t have Foxtel then you may as well go to the game to watch it live. We don’t need to do that anymore.
Yup...no more...Mano a Mano...just rules, technicalities, penalties, infringements, umpires, weird suspensions...

On the other hand, the media have made it so much easier to just stay home. I remember when we used to have to check the TV guide to see whether missing a live game was even an option. But now that everything is broadcast in one form or another staying at home is always an option.
I think you have nailed it here.
That, and also the cost of living is going through the roof.
It's a lot cheaper to stay home.

The real reasons people aren't going isn't just umpires and rules, but mainly;

1. Success (for Richmond)
2. COVID forced people to stay at home and watch on TV and now they've adapted to watching footy that way.

Supporters have put up with bad umpiring and rules etc for a long time. But I think now people are more inclined to watch sport (pretty much most things to be honest) on TV from home. People have adapted to not wanted / having the desire to go because of things like cost, transport, etc, and additionally are just wanting to stay at home and watch it.

People's life priorities have changed also where they might want to do other things than desperately NEED their team to win on a weekend.

The only heat I’m packing is the heat of endless 100 degree Texan summer days. Watching Richmond matches where everyone is rugged up to keep out the cold can make you very bitter and twisted. God help everyone around me if we start losing 😐
im concerened for your safety being in the usa unarmed

Just wanted to add to the mix, I reckon footy isn't as popular with the next generations coming through including those in their 20s and 30s who are independent.

At the same time the boomers are becoming less mobile.

Maybe we have reached a tipping point?
That’s a pretty good point , none of my daughters friends are interested in afl like us crazies , wouldn’t even know who’s playing

in 20 years time we'll look back on our dynasty as the last time where afl was relevant, where crowds peaked and shortly after where gill and shocking introduced new rules and damaged our game beyond repair

it will be similar to the day the music died

footy in 20 years will be played in front of empty stadiums and will be fully scripted like nba and wwe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bottom line is we are very lucky to win 3 flags and looking at what disease Neale Daniher has makes me think I am a bit of a self served sook whinging about umps and the AFL.

Last edited:
The bottom line is we are very lucky to win 3 flags and looking at what disease Neale Daniher has makes ,e think I am a bit of a self served sook whinging about umps and the AFL.
I think that goes without saying but you can say that about anything in life, not just Neale Daniher. We've had Covid, Ukrainian war (and other wars which don't get as much publicity), bordering on a global recession as we speak etc.

Ultimately sport is what we use to temporarily escape such horrible things.

It doesn't mean we can't have opinions on a game - in fact, I think it's healthy to want to preserve something that love and enjoy rather than haphazardly watch it self destruct in slow motion... And fund it.

Everyone is selfish in their own way, it's human nature. I mean, we are where we are due to an executive having self serving interests which he publicised as part of the rule changes.

That’s a very good point re game style. Never thought of that before but you are absolutely spot on.

Very good point. The game has been homogenised, they all play the same!
I’d never thought of that.

Play it on a Saturday afternoon. Remove one of the umpires. Stop the artificial noise, like the tiger "roar" between goals. Bring back pie vendors walking up and down the aisles. Let me scan in with my membership. Let me buy seats in the same transaction with non-members. Get rid of the stand rule.

I'll still be there to watch Richmond vs Carlton. I won't take my kids. I won't take my wife. I won't go with my friends. They would all hate it. I go because I love the Tigers and hope we get 60k. I won't be surprised if we get 45k and at that point you have to say it's a crisis for crowds.

As long as we continue to buy memberships and support our club Richmond will remain a big strong club. Buy your memberships and bonk your wives, get em pregnant so theres a rolling production line of baby Tiger cubs coming through. Bonk away lads and dont stop.

I work most Saturdays and Sundays, so most games are off limits, but have made a conscious decision to avoid AFL in general and won't be going unless I jag a GF ticket if we're in it.
Run by a corrupt and Woke organisation that is more interested in social engineering and virtue signalling than actually putting on a decent and credible show.
Footy, for me - as a player for a long time and spectator/fan - was a release on weekends, a chance to get away from everything else and the plethora of agendas being constantly forced upon us.
I don't need to go to the footy, pay $50 for the 'privilege' and $10 a beer to have more of those same agendas forced down my throat.
When I moved back to Melbourne for a few years about a decade ago, I never missed a Tigers game and would most weeks watch at least two, sometimes three games a weekend live.
Added to that, the AFL, its rule changes and constant reinterpretations of rules, have killed the spectacle off.
The game was great in the 60s (not that I was alive), 70s, 80s and 90s as it evolved naturally; its evolution since has been artificial and basically mandated from above and it's never looked worse.
FFS, put a moratorium on rule changes - we don't need two or three or four new ones a year, on top of the previous year's three. Leave the game alone. I don't see cricket inventing new ways to dismiss a batsman every summer; or basketball rushing to a four or five-point line; or netball, after introducing a two-point goal, after years of consideration, back up the next and create a three-point goal. Give the rules time and game time to breathe.
I know it's a multi-billion corporation and game, but it seriously needs to get back to grassroots and its spiritual base. And it's time for the AFL to let clubs run on their merits. A salary cap is great, but stop handing out concessions for poor performance and inept management at the expense of those who do operate effectively and efficiently. I felt that even while my own side was floundering, yet were eventually able to thrive.
It's the most contrived sporting competition in the world, with the AFL playing the role of dictator. It manufactures every outcome to its own satisfaction but has the morals of a sewer rat.
Your best post ever. Kudos.

The bottom line is we are very lucky to win 3 flags and looking at what disease Neale Daniher has makes me think I am a bit of a self served sook whinging about umps and the AFL.
Yep. I've seen eight in my lifetime so far, have to be very happy with that. Want to see more but if not I can look back content in the knowledge I followed the mighty Richmond Football Club when VFL/AFL was at its zenith.

Play it on a Saturday afternoon. Remove one of the umpires. Stop the artificial noise, like the tiger "roar" between goals. Bring back pie vendors walking up and down the aisles. Let me scan in with my membership. Let me buy seats in the same transaction with non-members. Get rid of the stand rule.

I'll still be there to watch Richmond vs Carlton. I won't take my kids. I won't take my wife. I won't go with my friends. They would all hate it. I go because I love the Tigers and hope we get 60k. I won't be surprised if we get 45k and at that point you have to say it's a crisis for crowds.
I’m pretty sure it will be 60 plus coz blues crowds have been plenty strong this year , I’ll be there

I was in a conversation with a Melbourne flog. That said they would have got 30k on a Thursday night vs Port at the G! Then i looked they cant even get that for a Saturday afternoon vs another Interstate side( and selected Victorian) lol. Worst time to attend the footy would be Thursday nights as well as the twilight on a Sunday.

Where do I start? I got over it when they kept closing the MCG carpark which I was willing to go early and pay money to use. No rhyme or reason to it, one week open one week closed. I hate public transport as it's basically a human cattle herd and our transport system is an abomination. The comfort of turning the telly on and not stressing about any of it was an easy choice for me. The price of food kept going higher and higher. Parking + Food + Petrol at 2.30/L has become too much of a luxury for the average family. There has been a steady climb year on year and the problem I have with all of this is that there was no giving back to the fans. My seat allocation was taken this year, there's no more running onto the ground after the game for a kick, the lines are worse these days, no more BBQ's in the carpark. I could keep going.

I pay a membership every year so I still support the club, but until footy is less of a manic, gigantic effort I'm staying home. I think people are really conscience of where they spend money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back