Not open for further replies.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re: Soccer/Association Football Kit Discussion

So uh, how about some football kits then?

Columbus Crew's latest home and away offerings are simply uninspired.

Columbus-Crew-2012-adidas-home-and-away-shirts-b.jpg

At first glance, the home shirt didn't even seem like that - I thought it was a polo to compliment the away version. I do have an affinity toward Umbro, so this next sentence contains that bias: Umbro can pull off simplicity. Is this because their 'Tailored by England' range has made us expect a no-frills shirt for all their teams? Or, because Umbro genuinely have a knack for these designs?

The home top also seems ill fitting.

Columbus-Crew-2012-adidas-home-and-away-shirts-d.jpg

Personally, the away isn't offensive. Though it seems to be a variation on a theme. Chelsea's third (?) kit comes to mind. A commenter on FSC said the design is ruined through the blockiness of the design centrepiece. And I agree. It's almost there, but something is off.

Philadelphia Union too presented new strips
. I've much enjoyed the latest MLS franchises kits. The Timbers and Whitecaps are probably my favourite American sides, purely through their on-field colour, attire, and logos. Philadelphia join them as well.

TT-AD7682A-SP3-2.jpg

The home reasonably unchanged. Blue piping added to the central stripe. Secondly, gold trim adorns the sleeve cuffs. They seem to be the notable changes. The rather daft sponsor is... well, at least it's giving the club some cash. Overall, I find the latest incarnation to suffer from the fate many shirts do: A detriment in design quality because of a need to change, simply for the sake of it. New kits obviously (in theory, and in a lot of cases, in practice) translates to financial injections. "Add some blue to the middle and some gold to the sides" was perhaps the designers philosophy.

TT-AD7682A-SP4-2.jpg

The away is basically a royal interpretation of the home. I much prefer it. Simply put, gold breaks up the colourway more, and seems to compliment the pairing of blue and white. This kit evidently sparks a reminding of a Birmingham design. Brum once wore a much loved 'penguin strip'. Wigan Athletic's constantly changing utilisation of blue and white also springs a recollection.

jethro11

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newc Utd/Heart/RM92/Indians

As I commented on FSC (I'm jethro11 over there as well) I think the Crew home kit is really classy. I still cannot understand their logo at all.

The New York Cosmos (they're back) kit look pretty good as well. Hopefully they'll return to the MLS soon.

images

jethro11

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Anyone think that looks 'shopped. He looks like plastic to me.

Btw SA, you should really consider writing for FSC or something like that. Really enjoyed reading your comments :):thumbsu:

sighclone

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Nice to see Mr Bale putting his name behind the GB cause.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

Don't mind team Great Britains 2012 london shirt

Team-GB-Adidas-London-2012-Shirt-b(2).jpg
Not to condescend or take over, this is just a clarification. This won't be worn at the Olympics. Just a ploy by Adidas to tap into a football market and ship a shirt that did not need to be made. It's also pretty ghastly.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

If done by an AFL club, you could have a fairly large image of yourself on the number. Why you'd want to, I don't know. But surely $35 for your face on Judd's number would give you a smaller space than $35 for a debutant.

I doubt the AFL would allow it, though.

Well, if Collingwood wanted to, then perhaps it could happen.

denishurley

Debutant
Nov 6, 2010
Ireland
AFL Club
Essendon

As I commented on FSC (I'm jethro11 over there as well) I think the Crew home kit is really classy. I still cannot understand their logo at all.

The New York Cosmos (they're back) kit look pretty good as well. Hopefully they'll return to the MLS soon.

images

If they do they'll have to change to adidas, however

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

If done by an AFL club, you could have a fairly large image of yourself on the number. Why you'd want to, I don't know. But surely $35 for your face on Judd's number would give you a smaller space than $35 for a debutant.

I doubt the AFL would allow it, though.

Well, if Collingwood wanted to, then perhaps it could happen.

Yeah, you'll see a lot of toothless smiles. ;)

I think Geelong should do this, or any team that are premiers should do this in the nab cup.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

I've made exactly the opposite of what Henness (?) did, making A-League teams have AFL kits. I've made AFL teams have soccer kits, starting with Adelaide. I was trying out the PS templates aswell, which I only have for 14 days.
rkuef5.png

EDIT: Sorry for the rough hoops :eek:

jethro11

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Toyota logo would look better on the red hoop, but good apart from that.

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

I've made exactly the opposite of what Henness (?) did, making A-League teams have AFL kits. I've made AFL teams have soccer kits, starting with Adelaide. I was trying out the PS templates aswell, which I only have for 14 days.
rkuef5.png

EDIT: Sorry for the rough hoops :eek:

Just a tip, when creating stripes or hoops use the gradient overlay on the base layer. It will create perfectly smooth lines.

To go more advanced (though to perfect this in your trial period may be a bit hard):

Find the layer you want in any template (e.g. v shape), open both the template that you want to use (e.g. adidas), and if the shape does not feature as a layer in that template open the one it does appear in (e.g. puma).

Then drag the layer you want from its template (puma) into the template you are using (adidas). Line up the new layer with the template within the template window, then place the layer with the other layers you are using (e.g. style 3) so it sits below the textures in the layers window.

Then you can use the colour overlay, or gradient overlay to colour it the way you want.

That way you can get the best of both worlds (or even several).

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Awesome, thanks :thumbsu:
EDIT: Craegus, I don't actually know how to create gradients with the tool :eek:

In the layers panel select the layer you want the gradient on. Press the fx button at the bottom of that panel, select gradient, it will open a box with the gradient options. Next check down the left side if the box to see if the colour overlay option is checked, if it is click on the tick to turn it off.

Next click on the long box in the gradient options that has a long black to white gradient in it. A new box will open with the gradient visible as well as little squares at the bottom and top of the gradient preview.

If you click on the squares on the bottom you will be able to change the colour which will change the gradient.

The squares on the top allow you to change the opacity of the gradient.

You can also add new squares by clicking along the line that they appear on and clicking and holding will allow you to drag them along the line. You can also change their position by changing the position value below them. Placing two squares on the same value will make a solid color change rather than a gradient (this is what you are looking to do)

You will notice that the layer will change as you change the gradient.

To change the direction of the gradient go to the main gradient panel (the one that opened initially) where there is a circle with a line in it. Either click and drag the line around the circle or change the direction value to adjust the gradient.

Finally there is a drop box that allows you to change the type of gradient.

Also in that panel, if you click on your template and drag the gradient will move so you can place it where you want.

BennyW

All Australian
Mar 8, 2011
Yo Mummas Bed
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics, Bulls, Jets, Red Sox

With the photo on the number thing, GC SUNS did this. Not of thier jumper but on a banner at Metricon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back