Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silent Alarm was dead right.

The combo of gold/green/white is clearly our best combo and looks amazing. I'm happy for us to experiment but i'd ideally like us to be wearing that combo in all World Cups, provided we make them.

Silent Alarm was dead right.

The combo of gold/green/white is clearly our best combo and looks amazing. I'm happy for us to experiment but i'd ideally like us to be wearing that combo in all World Cups, provided we make them.
I'd personally prefer the green shorts look, not sold on the white socks though as I still prefer a true green and gold look.

There was never an actual mandate, if it even existed at all, Nike just went with this to get their teams to wear these style kits (same colour shirts and shorts with different socks). Also no Adidas or any other manufacturer followed these rules.

If it had been true then Brazil would have had to wear yellow shorts, yet they were still in their blue, there would have been no exceptions.
I remember something coming out about it, but it may have been a Nike thing. Idk I do remember an outcry that we'd been forced into gold shorts, but it may well have just been the usual whinge.

Meh I think it'll end up happening, where most Premier League clubs have a sleeve sponsor and probably a back one as well but to be an Aussie and bitch about it is a bit rich. This isn't your local club from your province, town, or village that's gone international. And tbh even if it was and you supported a Bournemouth or Huddersfield, well you'd take the sponsor logos if it meant playing in the Premier League. And you support a big club then you can't really expect some Sheikh or American slob to turn it down. It's all a bit rich in my opinion. 'I support a globalised league that sells everything and has million dollar wages but a sleeve sponsor is a disgusting precedent, what sell outs these clubs are!'

All the while people are happy to eat and purchase from companies that directly perpetuate child slavery and labour, deforestation, pollution, and public sector health strains.

Meh I think it'll end up happening, where most Premier League clubs have a sleeve sponsor and probably a back one as well but to be an Aussie and bitch about it is a bit rich. This isn't your local club from your province, town, or village that's gone international. And tbh even if it was and you supported a Bournemouth or Huddersfield, well you'd take the sponsor logos if it meant playing in the Premier League. And you support a big club then you can't really expect some Sheikh or American slob to turn it down. It's all a bit rich in my opinion. 'I support a globalised league that sells everything and has million dollar wages but a sleeve sponsor is a disgusting precedent, what sell outs these clubs are!'

All the while people are happy to eat and purchase from companies that directly perpetuate child slavery and labour, deforestation, pollution, and public sector health strains.
It's perfectly reasonable to think the end of the relatively clean football shirt aesthetic is a bit of a bummer. The single shirt sponsorship is one of the nice things that has remained from the pre Premier League era that hasn't been sold up the road for commercial gain. Til now I guess.

It's perfectly reasonable to think the end of the relatively clean football shirt aesthetic is a bit of a bummer. The single shirt sponsorship is one of the nice things that has remained from the pre Premier League era that hasn't been sold up the road for commercial gain. Til now I guess.
Of course shirts look way nicer with just the one sponsor, just like a good sponsor design looks better than some coloured box with a bad font. But to sit here in Australia and say they're selling out and it's the beginning of the end is a bit OTT. Eh, my passion for soccer has waned so maybe that has a lot to do with it, but ultimately the game sold out a long time ago and any attempt to make money will generally be passed.

The NBA is a bit similar – I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen in the early 2000s.

To expect 'oh it looks nicer and cleaner' to win out in a capitalist money-spinner is a bit naive.

Of course shirts look way nicer with just the one sponsor, just like a good sponsor design looks better than some coloured box with a bad font. But to sit here in Australia and say they're selling out and it's the beginning of the end is a bit OTT. Eh, my passion for soccer has waned so maybe that has a lot to do with it, but ultimately the game sold out a long time ago and any attempt to make money will generally be passed.

The NBA is a bit similar – I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen in the early 2000s.

To expect 'oh it looks nicer and cleaner' to win out in a capitalist money-spinner is a bit naive.

I think the NBA was different because it still followed all the other top flight US sport with no sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leo, man.

3ae6ec40b32fd54d8725a7f5afa9af69--leo-man-funny-comedy.jpg

Made by VIVA Sport, who are apparently the old VIV Sports. And who John Kosmina reps for.

It's pretty s**t though, looks the same as their last three shirts.

AFL needs sleeves on jumpers. Looks less bogan and more authentic. Add sleeve sponsors, extra money for clubs.

AFL needs sleeves on jumpers. Looks less bogan and more authentic. Add sleeve sponsors, extra money for clubs.

yes.

everyone needs to wear long sleeve jumpers.

Seriously though

Who would consider a footy guernsey with short sleeves an acceptable fashion item to wear somewhere that wasn't a football game?

It works with soccer shirts because they have usually very simple core designs. Football guernseys have gigantic sashes or chevrons or stripes all over them. It's a totally different kind of sports design.

At least if it's just a sleeveless guernsey you're not pretending it's anything more than it is.

The thing I love is when people say they're not paying $120 for a piece of kit because "I'm not walking around as a human billboard advertising for all these companies". I'm only wearing club merch whilst training/exercising or at the game itself, why on earth you'd wear it anywhere else is beyond me.

Seriously though

Who would consider a footy guernsey with short sleeves an acceptable fashion item to wear somewhere that wasn't a football game?

It works with soccer shirts because they have usually very simple core designs. Football guernseys have gigantic sashes or chevrons or stripes all over them. It's a totally different kind of sports design.

At least if it's just a sleeveless guernsey you're not pretending it's anything more than it is.

The thing I love is when people say they're not paying $120 for a piece of kit because "I'm not walking around as a human billboard advertising for all these companies". I'm only wearing club merch whilst training/exercising or at the game itself, why on earth you'd wear it anywhere else is beyond me.

tbf I wear my jerseys if I'm around the house or especially in summer, running errands/going to the shops quickly.

tbf I wear my jerseys if I'm around the house or especially in summer, running errands/going to the shops quickly.
Fair enough but you're not wearing it out to dinner or other social occasions are you? Also, have never understood people who go to say a Melbourne Victory game and wear their Arsenal kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back