Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That training (?) kit is a beauty. A real shame that the Caltex sponsor soils it. Would have made a great away strip, actually.
Is it though? The Nigeria works because of the colours and the history. A bunch of white boys who play for Sydney FC and lower table Belgian sides will look lame in that sort of print. It's like a kid just discovered 90s shirts and the spew kit and thought it was hilarious. Soccer shirts are designed two years before they appear and here it shows... it's just a bit... s**t. It's not unique or thoughtful and just a lol 90s! attempt. I *in hate it. Danny DaSilva too?

The home shirt is okay but eh, the yellow bottoms is appalling. The green is a great idea but everyone is saying how the sash is just a training kit look.

Awful as all up.

Is it though? The Nigeria works because of the colours and the history. A bunch of white boys who play for Sydney FC and lower table Belgian sides will look lame in that sort of print. It's like a kid just discovered 90s shirts and the spew kit and thought it was hilarious. Soccer shirts are designed two years before they appear and here it shows... it's just a bit... s**t. It's not unique or thoughtful and just a lol 90s! attempt. I ****in hate it. Danny DaSilva too?
I just think it's neat

Is it though? The Nigeria works because of the colours and the history. A bunch of white boys who play for Sydney FC and lower table Belgian sides will look lame in that sort of print. It's like a kid just discovered 90s shirts and the spew kit and thought it was hilarious. Soccer shirts are designed two years before they appear and here it shows... it's just a bit... s**t. It's not unique or thoughtful and just a lol 90s! attempt. I ****in hate it. Danny DaSilva too?

The home shirt is okay but eh, the yellow bottoms is appalling. The green is a great idea but everyone is saying how the sash is just a training kit look.

Awful as all up.

How were their haircuts?

DZ__jg0U0AASJDj.jpg:large

Home: Ok shirt, 5/10. Story about the design being the Yellow Wave and design actually looking like waves making design actually seem like it has a backstory rather than typical Nike speak +1, 6/10. Yellow shorts and socks -3. Overall 3/10.

Away: Lazy, uninspired, nothing else to say. 2/10

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 10.57.02 am.png

My thoughts:

Pros
1. Most people seem disgusted with the sleeves. I really like them. For me, you've got to introduce some small, modern element as a point of difference, and this to me is a good solution. It won't even be visible on the field.

2. The gold colour looks good. I'd like to see it in the flesh, but it's a huge plus that the shirt is gold (not green [1999] or yellow, as seen at present in the Commonwealth Games, which to me looks appalling).

Cons
1. I don't like the collar at all but that's a minor detail

2. Gold shorts is a fail for me. Many want to see gold shirts, green shorts and white socks. My ultimate combo is 2006, gold shirts, green shorts and gold socks. Even black shorts (and socks) from '97 could be cool for a bit of mongrol. But all-gold just looks ridiculous. This all-gold kit reminds me of an episdoe at Norwich City in the 90s when Pony replaced the traditional yellow shirts, green shorts and yellow socks with an all-yellow kit. There was an uproar from the fans with a petition etc, next season the green shorts were returned and that was the end of it.

3. I don't like the crest on the retail shirts at all, there's no way I'd buy or wear that, so as usual I'll be on the look out for a player-issued shirt with the genuine crest (as seen above). Still think this needs to be resolved for good in the near future.

To me, Nike have lost the plot on many occasions in the recent past but this is passable. 6 out of 10.

3. I don't like the crest on the retail shirts at all, there's no way I'd buy or wear that, so as usual I'll be on the look out for a player-issued shirt with the genuine crest (as seen above). Still think this needs to be resolved for good in the near future.

The coat of arms can't be used or commercial purposes, which is why they don't put it on the retails. I didn't mind the one they used on the 2006 retails, but I'm assuming they can't use it anymore as it's too similar to the actual coat of arms.

$_20.JPG

You know looking at the Socceroos kit, I wonder what it would look like if the sleeves, were just, green? Nothing fancy, then couple that with rest of the kit being full gold?
Seeing as the numbers are not in the centre of the chest, maybe the home kit could have had a sash too? Or a chevron like one of the old Australia jerseys?
Honestly though, if Nike really had their heart set on putting a pattern on the sleeve, maybe they should have gone with Klim's idea of the old vomit pattern?

BTW - on a side note, that Chinese black kit looks like one of those satin shirts a triad gangster would wear from an 80s Hong Kong crime film. Really takes me back actually.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually just thinking a long sleeve version of that Socceroos strip would be cool. Subtle enough but a bit to play with. Unfortunately longies seem really hard to get and I can't recall the last time an Aussie wore one. But yeah, I like the pattern and considering the bland lazer stripe thing a lot of teams have, or the empty looking ones others do, we've done okay.

I actually like the collar too. Real mid-2000s vibes the way is sort of relies on those rounded corner shapes.

Biggest crock for me is this, from the presser re: the away top: '“Green and gold are the colors of the Australian national team, so we wanted to celebrate that directly with a green away kit. The sharp graphic on the away shirt is a reference to the sharp points on the kit worn on November 16, 2005,” says Hoppins.'

Now I don't know about you, but the Total 90 template Australia used was maybe the most round template ever. Of alllll time. Seriously. The fonts were sort of blocky but the name were in a big coloured curve! The numbers were in circles! It was nothing but soft lines!
soccer-2005-australia-v-uruguay-at-telstra-stadium-sydney-2006-fifa-picture-id539698093

If anything, the shirt reminds me a lot of the '97 shirt. Which is the last thing you'd want to emulate. Add to the fact it's an Adidas strip and this is Nike.
nov-1997-harry-kewell-of-australia-in-action-during-the-second-leg-of-picture-id1183852

1. Most people seem disgusted with the sleeves. I really like them. For me, you've got to introduce some small, modern element as a point of difference, and this to me is a good solution. It won't even be visible on the field.
Do you reckon? I haven't seen a whole lot of people really upset about them. The design is just kinda there. It isn't bold enough to really stand out as a design feature and will probably get lost completely in the broadcasts (making it obsolete), but it also isn't a subtle, classy feature like, say, the dots on Japan's kit. It's just kinda there and doesn't add anything.

On the home kit the lines on the sleeves and the number looks black... not green

Tbh I hate it and I'll continue to wear the 2006 kit because its easily the best one we've ever had.

I was actually just thinking a long sleeve version of that Socceroos strip would be cool. Subtle enough but a bit to play with. Unfortunately longies seem really hard to get and I can't recall the last time an Aussie wore one. But yeah, I like the pattern and considering the bland lazer stripe thing a lot of teams have, or the empty looking ones others do, we've done okay.

I actually like the collar too. Real mid-2000s vibes the way is sort of relies on those rounded corner shapes.

Biggest crock for me is this, from the presser re: the away top: '“Green and gold are the colors of the Australian national team, so we wanted to celebrate that directly with a green away kit. The sharp graphic on the away shirt is a reference to the sharp points on the kit worn on November 16, 2005,” says Hoppins.'

Now I don't know about you, but the Total 90 template Australia used was maybe the most round template ever. Of alllll time. Seriously. The fonts were sort of blocky but the name were in a big coloured curve! The numbers were in circles! It was nothing but soft lines!
soccer-2005-australia-v-uruguay-at-telstra-stadium-sydney-2006-fifa-picture-id539698093

If anything, the shirt reminds me a lot of the '97 shirt. Which is the last thing you'd want to emulate. Add to the fact it's an Adidas strip and this is Nike.
nov-1997-harry-kewell-of-australia-in-action-during-the-second-leg-of-picture-id1183852

somehow, in a weird bullshit way, I think he's trying to refer to the point on the sleeve.

somehow, in a weird bullshit way, I think he's trying to refer to the point on the sleeve.
That's all I could think of too. It just seems really weird. If you're going to talk about taking inspiration from the 2005 qualifier, or natural elements like trees it just seems... not even well thought out horseshit.

They should have done a sort of tree or coastal pattern with the bright green and teal; real bluegum, coastal, night time in the bush vibes.

Also I know I'm a broken record about the Adidas strips not looking 90s enough, or being a half-hearted cash-in, but aside from Adidas trying to sort of integrate but modernise but not the graphics, the issue for me is the numbers. I love the squared font and it ties well into a Russian World Cup but they're too modern. The Originals version is way better because of the out of place, plastic, boxy looking numbers. Would have loved to see these on the shirts – it's a real sticking point and differentiates their look to Nike's.

Spain_Team-AP.jpg

Spain-1994.jpg

131234354234534543.jpg

spainb%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Also the collars being so unimportant, lack of cuffs, whatever whatever.

Hell, if they really wanted to go retro, they could have used one of these old Adidas number fonts

Adidas_font.png Adidas_WC74.png

By the way, am I the only guy who reckons Adidas has made these kits look too much like training tees?

Has anyone photoshopped the shorts green yet?

Home kit is fine. It's not a classic like 2014 but it's not bad. Hugely let down by the gold shorts.

Away kit is a thoughtless dumpster fire. Horrendous. A professional kit designer got paid money to do that ffs. Hope we don't have to use it.

Training kit is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back