Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with the majority of this. The use of the terms United, City, Rovers, Wanderers are traditionally used to refer to something specific in the clubs or locations history. United teams are traditionally merged entities, thus uniting the location (a reason I like the Macarthur South West Sydney team to use the name as they are uniting multiple federations into a single team). City is for locations that actually reach city status, but doesn't really work in Australia as the majority of the locations out teams would be based are cities. Rovers and Wanderers are for teams that have never had a home ground, Western Sydney Wanderers are ok in this I think as they took the name of a former team and they do represent a large area and have been made to wander in recent times due to the redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium.

It is hard in Australia to find good traditional names for football clubs, mostly because people associate teams here with having nicknames (due to every other sport doing this), plus the want to move away from ethnic based clubs (which I am ok with).

The biggest issue though is this wanting to use a direction in team names. Next year there are going to be two clubs with Western in their name and a possible 3rd the year after. Seriously, there has to be some other options for clubs to use that is not direction based, that is why I really hope the Macarthur South West Sydney team just go with the Macarthur name, but as they are going to conduct fan forums in the Campbelltown, Liverpool and Bankstown areas this may become less likely as more of the areas being consulted is not part of the Macarthur region.
I have no idea how the FFA pulled off the Western Sydney Wanderers.

A great simple logo with a monogram that'll stick for decades, a strip their fans wanted, and a great name – Wanderers was the first team to play soccer in Australia and they played in (west?) Sydney. It made sense and it's just tidy.

I reckon 'Rams' is a decent name for Macarthur. Macarthur is a shitty name and too general but throwing in south and west and Sydney is confusing. 'Rams United' or something is a nice enough name. I know they already exist but it seems they're dead set on white and black stripes so it's not like they're using the existing club's full look.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I reckon 'Rams' is a decent name for Macarthur. Macarthur is a shitty name and too general but throwing in south and west and Sydney is confusing. 'Rams United' or something is a nice enough name. I know they already exist but it seems they're dead set on white and black stripes so it's not like they're using the existing club's full look.

They won't get the Rams name as it already exists at NPL level, I would have been very happy with the Rams name and colour scheme, but it does not look like it will happen.

Being from the Macarthur region I really like the name, it has a classic sound to it and is not generic. It also covers a very large area that the majority of the teams fan base will come from and separates the team from Western Sydney and Sydney FC.

I really think the name Macarthur United with a black and white colour scheme would look great so long as they go with a classic looking logo (something simple like the Wanderers). Unfortunately there is a strong push for either the Macarthur Magpies (unlikely to happen due to the Western Suburbs RL side) or the Macarthur Bulls. I would be fine with either nickname, but only if it was not in the official club name, as for football clubs I think that nicknames should not be used as they sound tacky when used in the official name.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
The new Melbourne team should have "West Melbourne" as opposed to just "Western" for me, as it ties them to a specific geographic location, which is the main problem with Melbourne Heart/City has.
Athletic is the best option for me, "Western Pride" sounds like a neo Nazi white supremacist group.

Storm20

Been Here A Long Time
Aug 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hate pointless terms like City and United, they serve no purpose. How is Adelaide united?

Also I know it isn't actually Adelaide but the Barossa is close by and Australia's most famed wine region... would have been cool if Adelaide wore 'wine red.' 'The wine reds' is a pretty cool nickname.

This is a pretty uneducated comment to make.

1. United is very fitting for the Adelaide team considering how fractured the state soccer league was before the inception of the A-League and after Adelaide City withdrew from the NSL. The new team united the state when formed, representing them in the new Australian league. Adelaide never recieved the support that they did until a new team was born in the A-League era, so to say that they have no purpose is pretty flawed logic.

2. We wear our state colours.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
The new Melbourne team should have "West Melbourne" as opposed to just "Western" for me, as it ties them to a specific geographic location, which is the main problem with Melbourne Heart/City has.
Athletic is the best option for me, "Western Pride" sounds like a neo Nazi white supremacist group.

Couldn't tying them to the ~5,000 population inner city suburb of West Melbourne be a burden rather than an advantage though?

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Newcastle Jets ACL kit

acl_front.png

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Newcastle Jets ACL kit

acl_front.png
This is pretty clean, and that dude from Chris Creamer'd designed it. The MLS-y team name is a bit out there but it's alright. Just cannot wait until it has a couple o sleeve patches then a number and sponsor all over it.

This is pretty clean, and that dude from Chris Creamer'd designed it. The MLS-y team name is a bit out there but it's alright. Just cannot wait until it has a couple o sleeve patches then a number and sponsor all over it.
The 'Newcastle' on the front is a monotone version of the city logo (https://brandingsource.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-logo-newcastle-australia.html?m=1) perhaps they are the sponsor for the ACL campaign and we won't see another sponsor on there? Would look pretty clean if that were the case.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The 'Newcastle' on the front is a monotone version of the city logo (https://brandingsource.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-logo-newcastle-australia.html?m=1) perhaps they are the sponsor for the ACL campaign and we won't see another sponsor on there? Would look pretty clean if that were the case.
How's that website... all about design but the header is a pixelated stock font and it's on blogspot.

Nah that'd be pretty cool if that's the case. I loved it when the Mariners had 'Central Coast' on the front back in the Aloisi (and Bozza...) days.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Feb 24, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Giants, Adelaide Strikers
This is a pretty uneducated comment to make.

1. United is very fitting for the Adelaide team considering how fractured the state soccer league was before the inception of the A-League and after Adelaide City withdrew from the NSL. The new team united the state when formed, representing them in the new Australian league. Adelaide never recieved the support that they did until a new team was born in the A-League era, so to say that they have no purpose is pretty flawed logic.

2. We wear our state colours.

Adelaide didn't unite the state, I am from Adelaide and I hate them and the state colours were stolen from AFL.

westside also kind of implies a side of a city where western is the actual prefix of the state's name

isn’t Westside representing the west side of melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back