Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western Athletic should buy 300 old Celtic shirts.

1952772441_1.jpg

Still one of my favourite strips ever, the long sleeve version especially. Celtic and Nike in that era produced nothing but great kits. The As going the classic hoop design for an away would be smart too.

images

When Canberra get in, they should do this. Though I think a St. George - Sutherland (Shires & Saints) club would suit it too. Tassie can take dibs on wine red/redcurrant.

Western Athletic should buy 300 old Celtic shirts.

1952772441_1.jpg

Still one of my favourite strips ever, the long sleeve version especially. Celtic and Nike in that era produced nothing but great kits. The As going the classic hoop design for an away would be smart too.
I have that shirt in a size that is far too small for me now. Convinced my parents to bite the bullet and let me use a credit card online when it was on sale on the Celtic shop. Right at the start of my infatuation with football shirts I wanna say when I was about 10. That one and the Liverpool 2006/08 home were my first shirts.

I have that shirt in a size that is far too small for me now. Convinced my parents to bite the bullet and let me use a credit card online when it was on sale on the Celtic shop. Right at the start of my infatuation with football shirts I wanna say when I was about 10. That one and the Liverpool 2006/08 home were my first shirts.
Yeah, I was buying shirts around this time too and a good mate's old man (and our soccer coach) was from Glasgow. He had heaps of hoops kits, usually away ones, back then. But that whole era of Nike is pretty much perfect to me, but I know a lot of it has to do with nostalgia. The material felt comfortable and didn't look shiny, the fits were just simple, and there was no real template so the designs were free form but a little uptight and classic.

2006-08-celtic-european-shirt-10387-1.jpg

GW421H292

This bottom strip was goat. Love the shade of green. Always thought it was so smart and almost regal looking with the same coloured shorts and socks and always had a wish that Australia would use this colour way a lot more.

Western United is as silly and ambiguous as Western Force.

West Melbourne Athletic, without the "ern" for a point of difference from Western Sydney Wanderers, would have rolled off the tongue a bit better for my liking.

WMA would have made for a nice monogram.

Of course, I understand there is a suburb called West Melbourne that they may have tried to avoid confusion with.

Some dude mentioned Westgate Athletic on reddit which people liked. Not sure how many people would've liked that as a name down in Geelong but it could've had the unintentional positive of them getting a heap of fans in areas like Footscray and even toward Essendon.

I think if a club really wanted a niche in Melbourne, it could've concentrated itself on a strict geographical region and a small ground. Windy Hill would be great I reckon – cricket club's gone afaik, train line and tram line a hundred metres away, huge middle-class (more upper middle, it's middle-ring Melbourne ffs) demographic immediately around and then lots of the wog sorts in places on the train line, small for a footy ground, stands already there.

The success of Sydney FC at the Jubilee Oval is proof of this. People want to go down on a grassy knoll, have a souva/gyro/kebab and a Mythos/Mennebrea, and really get that grassroots feel. Soccer can play on that, footy and cricket are too anglo and really can't. You need to make it a good experience for those young families and also your 18-30 year old male uni kinda crowd.

Ah well. The league was set-up by Frank Lowy and that idiot John O'Neill with all recommendations from a multi-million dollar report completely ignored. Blame those campaigners.

This bid is turning into a disaster.

- s**t, meaningless name;
- Stole the colours of their rival bid;
- Years away from their stadium being built;
- Stadium in a location with no public transport links (even further away from being built than the stadium itself);
- Announced they would play in Geelong the first few years without actually having an agreement with KP;
- Fanbase will be tiny because Melbourne people won’t travel to Geelong every week, and Geelong people won’t jump on a team that is leaving in a few years.

Honestly, the only thing they had in their favour is that their stadium would be privately funded. That gave the crackpots at the FFA a massive hard-on and thats why they went with them. There is not one other positive thing about this club.

Dandenong bid made SO much more sense.

The A-League is pretty ****ed when Dandenong is seen as a good bid.

We should be at 14 teams at least now. Started with 10, 12 teams in 2010/2011 after the World Cup. One more team after the 2014 World Cup, then another for 2015/2016 after the Asian Cup on home soil (regardless of a win or loss). Why they don't capitalise on the sport's only real moment in the sun is... like self-sabotage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Stadium in a location with no public transport links (even further away from being built than the stadium itself);
- Announced they would play in Geelong the first few years without actually having an agreement with KP;
- Fanbase will be tiny because Melbourne people won’t travel to Geelong every week, and Geelong people won’t jump on a team that is leaving in a few years.

Honestly, the only thing they had in their favour is that their stadium would be privately funded. That gave the crackpots at the FFA a massive hard-on and thats why they went with them. There is not one other positive thing about this club.

Not to mention the rumours about the owners, the contract for building the roads in the area and the alleged unrest of the financial backers due to the falling property prices in Melbourne. I'll be surprised if a single sod gets turned at Tarneit.

Not to mention the rumours about the owners, the contract for building the roads in the area and the alleged unrest of the financial backers due to the falling property prices in Melbourne. I'll be surprised if a single sod gets turned at Tarneit.

There was suggestions at the time of the announcement that this was all just a way for Geelong to get a team by stealth. The WMG bid was originally the Victoria Patriots bid which was centred in Geelong. They knew that ultimately it would have no chance of success once the FFA made it clear that they would only be giving licences to clubs in capital cities, so they morphed into a Western Victorian bid, centered in the Western suburbs of Melbourne but representing regional Victoria as well.

By starting in Geelong, if there are problems with the stadium and it never gets built, they have the perfect excuse to stay there.

So Western United FC it is, with green and black as the colours.

Their explanation for what the colours represent? “The bitumen and greenery of the suburbs”.

Bitumen? Really?
Lol. How about no one else has that colour combination and it looks nice. Not everything has to mean something.

As someone who built my 1st home in the growth corridor of Geelong's south & work office is in the west of Melbourne & has a little bit to do with infrastructure Victoria i think my opinions might carry a bit.

This was the stupidest decision in the history of sport in this country.

I would be very surprised if it ever went ahead.

KP (GMHBA) is a terrible venue for rectangle sports, the ground is just that little bit too wide. The pitch is moved towards the Hickey stand for tv & that side is straight rather than an oval shape, how ever temp fencing is put up & the 1st 10 rows of seats you cant actually see the pitch giving the impression no one is there & the new stand from the broadcast side is a mile away. The ground is too long so the pitch has to be at 1 end making the camera's always at 1/3 if the pitch rather than half way. For a team to work in Geelong there would need to be a boutique stadium of about 10k which cant happen not only because they wouldn't get an a league team of their own any stadium funding is going towards stage 5 of KP upgrade

Fanbase in the west would be small but in a small stadium it could work football is a pretty big sport right from the westgate bridge right out to wyndham vale, how ever even if the stadium its not within walking distance to a train station. Interms of Geelong there is a very loyal "soccer" fan base but nothing of what I would call large. In my estate there is a distinct lack of diversity, afl is king down here the cats own the town. I have been to Victory games, rebels games that would not get 8k through the gate as a 1 off. By all means keep bringing the cricket, rugby, rugby league, golf, football & I would love an nbl game I will attend but long term no hope.

South East Melbourne is the biggest growth corridor in the country, the planned home ground was next to a train station in the middle of it & for any one who has left their ivory tower of collins st in the cbd would come to realise that it is the most multicultural area in aus & if not a level tie with the west of sydney with football fans galore.

the ffa simply fell in love with the cash injection this group had that wont last, will prob never bring a new stadium, picked a horrible name with terrible colours. bold prediction wont see yr 4 & the move to Tarneit.

In saying all that I will be at most home games they are now my team, I hate melbourne hardly victory, i hate manbourne city, Go West & go barwon sc

As someone who built my 1st home in the growth corridor of Geelong's south

We must be neighbours...

This was the stupidest decision in the history of sport in this country.

I would be very surprised if it ever went ahead.

KP (GMHBA) is a terrible venue for rectangle sports, the ground is just that little bit too wide. The pitch is moved towards the Hickey stand for tv & that side is straight rather than an oval shape, how ever temp fencing is put up & the 1st 10 rows of seats you cant actually see the pitch giving the impression no one is there & the new stand from the broadcast side is a mile away. The ground is too long so the pitch has to be at 1 end making the camera's always at 1/3 if the pitch rather than half way. For a team to work in Geelong there would need to be a boutique stadium of about 10k which cant happen not only because they wouldn't get an a league team of their own any stadium funding is going towards stage 5 of KP upgrade

Fanbase in the west would be small but in a small stadium it could work football is a pretty big sport right from the westgate bridge right out to wyndham vale, how ever even if the stadium its not within walking distance to a train station. Interms of Geelong there is a very loyal "soccer" fan base but nothing of what I would call large. In my estate there is a distinct lack of diversity, afl is king down here the cats own the town. I have been to Victory games, rebels games that would not get 8k through the gate as a 1 off. By all means keep bringing the cricket, rugby, rugby league, golf, football & I would love an nbl game I will attend but long term no hope.

South East Melbourne is the biggest growth corridor in the country, the planned home ground was next to a train station in the middle of it & for any one who has left their ivory tower of collins st in the cbd would come to realise that it is the most multicultural area in aus & if not a level tie with the west of sydney with football fans galore.

the ffa simply fell in love with the cash injection this group had that wont last, will prob never bring a new stadium, picked a horrible name with terrible colours. bold prediction wont see yr 4 & the move to Tarneit.

In saying all that I will be at most home games they are now my team, I hate melbourne hardly victory, i hate manbourne city, Go West & go barwon sc

I agree with almost everything you said there (apart from the MVFC jibe). Soccer actually does have a decent following in Geelong, but most are already Melbourne Victory fans if they follow the A-League. The only way to capture the hearts and minds of Geelong fans away from the existing teams is to be a purely Geelong team. This team won't do it, and I'd be surprised if games against the non-Melbourne teams draw any more than 5000 people at KP.

There was suggestions of building a rectangular stadium in Geelong when the bid first emerged. It was supposed to be 10K seater with training pitches around it IIRC. The mooted location was the corner of Ghazeepore Rd and Baanip Boulevard in Waurn Ponds, right near the Waurn Ponds station. It would have been a decent location transport wise, but there is no infrastructure apart from housing nearby, so no pubs or restaurants for pre/post-match which would have caused issues I think. In any case, given the amount of money thrown at the KP upgrades in the last 10-15 years, I can't see the Government being able to justify contributing to a second stadium in Geelong, it would have to be privately funded, and the returns from a Geelong team probably just aren't there.

People from Geelong and the west of Melbourne already have their team and are willing to travel into games at AAMI or Marvel. All the research suggested people in the South-East just don't. Its a much bigger catchment area down that way, and they have nothing in terms of elite sports down there (new NBL team aside).

We must be neighbours...

I agree with almost everything you said there (apart from the MVFC jibe). Soccer actually does have a decent following in Geelong, but most are already Melbourne Victory fans if they follow the A-League. The only way to capture the hearts and minds of Geelong fans away from the existing teams is to be a purely Geelong team. This team won't do it, and I'd be surprised if games against the non-Melbourne teams draw any more than 5000 people at KP.

There was suggestions of building a rectangular stadium in Geelong when the bid first emerged. It was supposed to be 10K seater with training pitches around it IIRC. The mooted location was the corner of Ghazeepore Rd and Baanip Boulevard in Waurn Ponds, right near the Waurn Ponds station. It would have been a decent location transport wise, but there is no infrastructure apart from housing nearby, so no pubs or restaurants for pre/post-match which would have caused issues I think. In any case, given the amount of money thrown at the KP upgrades in the last 10-15 years, I can't see the Government being able to justify contributing to a second stadium in Geelong, it would have to be privately funded, and the returns from a Geelong team probably just aren't there.

People from Geelong and the west of Melbourne already have their team and are willing to travel into games at AAMI or Marvel. All the research suggested people in the South-East just don't. Its a much bigger catchment area down that way, and they have nothing in terms of elite sports down there (new NBL team aside).

I just dont get the chant there's only one team in melbourne, There is the deamons, 2 soccer teams, 2 cricket, rugby, rugby union, national basketball even 2 ice hockey the list goes on & on! ;)

yeah exactly I wasnt being negative torwards the g'town football community but it is small & already behind MV, I am of the vast majority that likes more than one code down here is normally 1 or the other

That was someones idea, it was never on the cards, the only hope would have ever been if they could convince the KP trust to build one at anothony kosta oval where st marys play but as the cats found out when keystone park fell over before deakin got built its best not to upset locals especially that have been there for 100 years with the name kosta involved. 1 member of geelong turf club had the idea of buliding something within the showgrounds but it got knocked on the head very quickly, as I said in the previous post all funds are being pushed towards stage 5 of KP & the turf club doesnt have rights over the showgrounds.

'One team in Melbourne' is so lame.

I remember leaving Australia with a Freo beanie on and at immigration, one of the lard-arsed deadshits there hung it on me. 'Who do you support then?' and she goes 'there's only one team in Mewburne mate.' Errrr?

Y’all realise “one team in Melbourne” is not actually meant to be taken literally, right? Its just one of any number of chants that says “our team is better than your team” used by fans of all clubs all over the world.

What a stupid thing to get your knickers in a knot over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back