Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
1560846785974.png

1560846829029.png

1560846798399.png

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/western-united-fc-unveil-inaugural-hyundai-a-league-jersey

Official Western United kits.

Home is mint. Away is uhhh.

On one hand, I think they're neat kits. On the other hand, I think it's a disappointing effort by Kappa in that it's too clean. Sounds weird, I know, but growing up with the Glory Kappa kits with the logo up and down the sleeves, just feels a bit muted.

But that's just a personal thing, from an objective standpoint, they're good.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The home shirt is pretty bad. Just an absolute nothing execution of a cool base - the black and green stripes.
Yeah it looks really quite dull and plain boring.

The away strip is just a riff on the Nigeria one and very unoriginal, but at least it isn't another all black or all white like every other A-League team. The casual fan might see it as a bit out there and if it gets people interested or aware of a new team, well, that's what a new team needs.

shunsuke-nakamura-of-celtic-during-the-uefa-champions-league-group-a-picture-id72552122

This is it.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I really like the away kit, I think it is bold and unusual. The home kit is clean and neat, and the colours work well together.
I truly don't understand why everyone has been shitting on Western United since they were announced. Everything from the name, colours, logo, kit, ground, etc, has been scorned by "woke" football fans, and it's just getting boring.

I truly don't understand why everyone has been ****ting on Western United since they were announced.
Because they’re not team 11 (the proposed Dandenong team).

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really like the away kit, I think it is bold and unusual. The home kit is clean and neat, and the colours work well together.
I truly don't understand why everyone has been ****ting on Western United since they were announced. Everything from the name, colours, logo, kit, ground, etc, has been scorned by "woke" football fans, and it's just getting boring.
People are right to be angry about them. The preferred and smarter Victorian bid was always Dandenong and then you bring in Wollongong Wolves, a St George or Cronulla side, then Canberra, Tassie and you end up with a team people really can't get behind. Australian soccer fans are unusual in that they're generally more just supporters of the game: they want good teams, vibrant fans, the right locations, and a good talent pathway that services all levels.

Western United is about as generic as you can get. West of where? To where? I guess the logo is okay considering, because what else are you supposed to do with that?

The colours irk people because green should have been for Tassie or Canberra.

I'll keep this to branding but it's just an empty, no-nothing, lost location and that's drained any creative potential.

If you use, let's say Geelong, you could come up with plenty of nicknames. They had a big wool industry. Geelong Rams, Geelong Millers are all smart names that stand out and concoct the right imagery. Logos and names stem easily from that.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
People are right to be angry about them. The preferred and smarter Victorian bid was always Dandenong and then you bring in Wollongong Wolves, a St George or Cronulla side, then Canberra, Tassie and you end up with a team people really can't get behind. Australian soccer fans are unusual in that they're generally more just supporters of the game: they want good teams, vibrant fans, the right locations, and a good talent pathway that services all levels.

Western United is about as generic as you can get. West of where? To where? I guess the logo is okay considering, because what else are you supposed to do with that?

The colours irk people because green should have been for Tassie or Canberra.

I'll keep this to branding but it's just an empty, no-nothing, lost location and that's drained any creative potential.

If you use, let's say Geelong, you could come up with plenty of nicknames. They had a big wool industry. Geelong Rams, Geelong Millers are all smart names that stand out and concoct the right imagery. Logos and names stem easily from that.

So can I ask how sniping on social media fixes any of that?

Maybe the branding isn't perfect, but it's hardly the only start up club in Australia, or the A League that suffers from overly generic syndrome.

I dispute that Australian soccer fans want any of the things you've stated, they want us to be a European league clone in 5 minutes despite having nowhere near the infrastructure, money, personnel or strength to become so. They are impatient and overly critical, which is why the comp is struggling right now.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
So can I ask how sniping on social media fixes any of that?

Maybe the branding isn't perfect, but it's hardly the only start up club in Australia, or the A League that suffers from overly generic syndrome.

I dispute that Australian soccer fans want any of the things you've stated, they want us to be a European league clone in 5 minutes despite having nowhere near the infrastructure, money, personnel or strength to become so. They are impatient and overly critical, which is why the comp is struggling right now.
People are entitled to complain or criticise what's essentially under the umbrella of 'art.' This forum is here for that reason.

Why can't you say the name sucks or the logo is generic or the strip is a template?

People accept it'll never be the Premier League but they want teams to survive and even better, maybe even thrive. The league is 15 years old and as of the last game, only two new teams have actually been added. It's about the talent pathways and the grassroots involvement. Ultimately people may not reject a new team in their area based on name, but the Western Sydney Wanderers prove how important a good image is. The name is catchy, they were the colours everyone wanted, and it's just about the best crest in the comp. They have unlikely form in their first season but there was a real excitement.

Those who care most about soccer in Australia are the most critical. It's refreshing. It's not like AFL where you're borderline banned from a club board because you think the coach is a moron or certain players are no good.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Pure speculation but I'm pretty certain we're getting a '92-style purple and white away kit based on the fact that this colour scheme is used for the new away memberships on offer:

SideAway.png

Excuse the speculative post but thought everyone would want to know seeing as we are massive.
fancyscum

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Early rumours suggest this is our next kit manufacturer.....
First question: Who the * is Paladin?
Second question: Are we really in that bad of a place to now go to an unknown local brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back