Not open for further replies.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
They were around for 5 minutes. It's like being attached to a big bash franchise.

If you're still super pro Heart at this point, maybe just pick another team idk.

It's hard finding this kind of loyalty in the A-League, It's tough making an identity when CFG are forcing a 'mini-manchester' one which was promised that it wouldn't happen and the stripes still resonate with the fans as shown by the polls (sky blue kits knocked out first round) despite being around longer than Heart. And it makes the most sense. Since 2011 the Flag of Melbourne was linked to the stripes for the colours matching & is the centerpiece in the current logo. Just like Adelaide United (Red, yellow, blue = State colours) Victory was made to represent the state (Big V + Navy = State colours) and Heart for the city (Red + White = Flag of Melb). Just stick with your club through thick and thin. You don't know what lies ahead so you just string along and see what happens. I bet my left nut if Victory were taken over by Red Bull and were renamed RB Melbourne + forced to wear red kits, the navy kits would still be favoured in a poll like the City one. You might argue that they've been around longer and got the bigger fan base but hey it's just the a-league right? Why get so attached to a fabricated team in a fabricated league? We just want to see our sides do good. Yeah we had the longest winless streak, one of the lowest attendance averages next to GCU, Fury, the Nix and 1 single finals appearance but so what?! It was a mess but it was our mess and we still stuck by them. Yarrasides efforts have not been replicated by future City terrace groups. No other A-League club has gone through what we have. Some have "moved on" and fully embraced the soulless rebrand while others aren't scared to show their original colours :hand: Grateful that City still pump out a red kit every season and the poll should send somewhat of a message but I won't hold my breath for the stripes being the home kit any time soon as much as we want it to happen. When City wore the OG kit at home this season, the buzz was great. Despite bad weather affecting the 5k attendance, we were banging out every Heart chant without falling flat and it's clearly something special to us. Plus the fact that an ex-Heart player scored the first goal made it that much better. Since day dot, I still wear the stripes, wear my season 1 heart scarf and you won't catch me dead wearing nothing but S̶k̶y̶ SORRY City blue + I still renew my membership each year. You'll still find red shirts, scarves, streamers and flags at any Melbourne City game. The biggest flag is still an OG one. It ain't going anywhere.

And yes I will say it again without crying :tongueout:
I'm in too deep I guess, sue me 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
It's hard finding this kind of loyalty in the A-League, It's tough making an identity when CFG are forcing a 'mini-manchester' one which was promised that it wouldn't happen and the stripes still resonate with the fans as shown by the polls (sky blue kits knocked out first round) despite being around longer than Heart. And it makes the most sense. Since 2011 the Flag of Melbourne was linked to the stripes for the colours matching & is the centerpiece in the current logo. Just like Adelaide United (Red, yellow, blue = State colours) Victory was made to represent the state (Big V + Navy = State colours) and Heart for the city (Red + White = Flag of Melb). Just stick with your club through thick and thin. You don't know what lies ahead so you just string along and see what happens. I bet my left nut if Victory were taken over by Red Bull and were renamed RB Melbourne + forced to wear red kits, the navy kits would still be favoured in a poll like the City one. You might argue that they've been around longer and got the bigger fan base but hey it's just the a-league right? Why get so attached to a fabricated team in a fabricated league? We just want to see our sides do good. Yeah we had the longest winless streak, one of the lowest attendance averages next to GCU, Fury, the Nix and 1 single finals appearance but so what?! It was a mess but it was our mess and we still stuck by them. Yarrasides efforts have not been replicated by future City terrace groups. No other A-League club has gone through what we have. Some have "moved on" and fully embraced the soulless rebrand while others aren't scared to show their original colours :hand: Grateful that City still pump out a red kit every season and the poll should send somewhat of a message but I won't hold my breath for the stripes being the home kit any time soon as much as we want it to happen. When City wore the OG kit at home this season, the buzz was great. Despite bad weather affecting the 5k attendance, we were banging out every Heart chant without falling flat and it's clearly something special to us. Plus the fact that an ex-Heart player scored the first goal made it that much better. Since day dot, I still wear the stripes, wear my season 1 heart scarf and you won't catch me dead wearing nothing but S̶k̶y̶ SORRY City blue + I still renew my membership each year. You'll still find red shirts, scarves, streamers and flags at any Melbourne City game. The biggest flag is still an OG one. It ain't going anywhere.

And yes I will say it again without crying :tongueout:
I'm in too deep I guess, sue me 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴
Heart was never meant to be just an ordinary franchise. Hey, you may see it like that and that works for you, fantastic. But for those who chose Heart it stays with you forever. I supported Heart to annoy my Grandfather, who only minorly supports the Vuck. I'm the only massive Football/Soccer whatever you call it fan in my family. Born into a mad Aussie Rules family, the round ball game wasn't tarnished, it was just not spoken of. Collecting Match-Attax and the old Select A-League cards is something distinct to myself in my family. I've always been one to follow stuff to 'be different'. But over time that progresses and becomes a part of who you are. That is what Melbourne Heart is for me. When Heart came in, I knew it was for me. I enjoy being a nuisance, and on such occasion, the Derby was being shown on television. Heart 2 Victory 1 midway through the game, to get one over my grandfather I mentioned that I'm a Heart fan. This 'passion' for what many see as a 'joke franchise' began. I understand why people see it like that, but joke or not I don't care, I just love this club. As I slowly discovered more of football, because of Heart and Red & White, my second passion for football emerged, Southampton. Small connections broadened my understanding of the beautiful game. From playing FIFA 11 and 12 with A-League clubs and taking the Heart to the top, from watching them on the television. Most of the time disappointed, but you stick through thick and thin. Heart won't return, I know that. But by grabbing what made us fans, and blending it with the great promise of a 'stable' future is how you create an incredible passion that many don't understand. I mentioned it in my A-League portfolio, Red & White is the undying passion of our fans, whereas the sky blue is the promise of the future. The football improved on the field, but in the stands behind our goal, and the general passion has slowly melted away. I support Melbourne City because I was there since Heart. It has been hard but that's football, that's life. We don't ask much, and since the first whistle blew with the second Victorian A-League club we all dream of silverware and glory. I just hope when comes such a time where the club we call 'THE HEART!' from the top of our lungs, becomes champions of Australia I see that trophy lifted under the Red & White, the colours of my team.

If you don't understand it and see us a joke, cool you can do that. But my passion for A-League football and Melbourne Heart burst forth from small to large when the first Derby began. The roar was incredible and before every other derby, I watch that match. I'm proud to say I support Melbourne City, but I only ask for one thing, as all the other Heart diehards do... RED & WHITE at home.

As cannavo said: "I'm in too deep I guess, sue me 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴"

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
I bet my left nut if Victory were taken over by Red Bull and were renamed RB Melbourne + forced to wear red kits, the navy kits would still be favoured in a poll like the City one.

Sure, but if that happened I just wouldn’t support the club anymore, and I reckon most other Vucks would be the same. Its literally not the same club anymore, it’s a different club using the same licence. Thats what the A-League is built on.

I just don’t really see the point in supporting a club if you don’t align with its whole ethos. I don’t begrudge those Heart fans who have embraced the City image at all, but for those who haven’t, I just don’t see the point in hanging on to something which is never coming back. Its not the same club anymore, and you’re just causing yourself more anguish by trying to cling to that moment from the past. If you truly had fallen in love with Heart, then good on you, but this isn’t Heart anymore.

Look to the UK. How many Wimbledon fans still go to MK Dons matches wearing their blue and yellow gear? Once that club moved and completely changed its identity, the original club died. Thats just how I see it anyway.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Sure, but if that happened I just wouldn’t support the club anymore, and I reckon most other Vucks would be the same. Its literally not the same club anymore, it’s a different club using the same licence. Thats what the A-League is built on.

I just don’t really see the point in supporting a club if you don’t align with its whole ethos. I don’t begrudge those Heart fans who have embraced the City image at all, but for those who haven’t, I just don’t see the point in hanging on to something which is never coming back. Its not the same club anymore, and you’re just causing yourself more anguish by trying to cling to that moment from the past. If you truly had fallen in love with Heart, then good on you, but this isn’t Heart anymore.

Look to the UK. How many Wimbledon fans still go to MK Dons matches wearing their blue and yellow gear? Once that club moved and completely changed its identity, the original club died. Thats just how I see it anyway.
You must say that the mk dons situation is very different to the city\heart situation. Its as if someone decided to buy victory or something and then decide to move the club to geelong or some other area of Victoria and just call them the Geelong victory and continue to say they are the biggest and most successful club in the league. The heart/city is very similar to the ny red bulls situation in the mls. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the situation or how successful the club was before hand, its the fans who are there whether they started at the beginning, or after city took over, or those who stopped because of city. Either way it is interesting for these people to give their opinion of both sides of the story (not the casual observers or fans of other clubs).

As a casual observer City keeping the red and white kit is an important part of the club and you can see that from the clubs use of the kit whether as a third or away kit and the bracket (the blue and white stripe kit was also very popular in the bracket). Im not wishing to comment on the history or support of the club (or clubs if you would like to argue), im just commenting on how I see the use of the kit and the popularity of it.

Zer0

Team Captain
May 16, 2019
NSW/ACT
AFL Club
Melbourne
IMG_0943.JPG

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Totally agree. It's not the Heart, and the Heart are dead, really.

Wimbledon were obviously reborn as AFC Wimbledon, but they had 115 years of history and generations of attachment to the club for that to occur.

Has a Melbourne Heart 'phoenix' club sprung up in the Melbourne local leagues? Is there any sort of genuine movement to honour that legacy? I'd be surprised really, given how short a time they were around.

Totally agree. It's not the Heart, and the Heart are dead, really.

Wimbledon were obviously reborn as AFC Wimbledon, but they had 115 years of history and generations of attachment to the club for that to occur.

Has a Melbourne Heart 'phoenix' club sprung up in the Melbourne local leagues? Is there any sort of genuine movement to honour that legacy? I'd be surprised really, given how short a time they were around.

Close enough

1587275130270.png

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
that Kappa turtle neck was horrendous..
View attachment 861298

As far as the red & white stripes go the 2015/16 away kit was mint - full stripes!
New Melbourne City Jerseys 2015-2016- Nike Melbourne City Kits ...
The actual design of the Kappa top was great, and the sponsor integration lined up with the stripes which was great. As you said though, turtleneck, but that's Kappa for you.

Question,

I saw an instagram designer do a Newcastle design with a black puma logo. Now, the comments roasted him. Apparently Newcastle never put a black cat on their kits because of the Black Cats AKA Sunderland. Is this true? Or just a rumour?
Yep it's true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Question,

I saw an instagram designer do a Newcastle design with a black puma logo. Now, the comments roasted him. Apparently Newcastle never put a black cat on their kits because of the Black Cats AKA Sunderland. Is this true? Or just a rumour?

Yep it's true.

Que?

35195D9D-77A1-40CC-AAC2-C8EBD0DA5B08.jpeg

EDIT nevermind, its navy. Looks pretty black though.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I have liked the idea of the teal trim and I think it's a pretty good first crack, if a bit safe. It's good, but not a classic. I also can't help the nagging image of like, toothpaste, for some reason. The teal, red and white. I also don't really like those side panels and the back of the collar. Overall I'd say it's lacking in polish and charm but. fine. Hopefully the real deal is a bit sharper. Darken up the teal a bit, fix the collar.

I'm more keen to see the second and third kits tbh. Nike smashed it with most of those throwback ones this season.

I have liked the idea of the teal trim and I think it's a pretty good first crack, if a bit safe. It's good, but not a classic. I also can't help the nagging image of like, toothpaste, for some reason. The teal, red and white. I also don't really like those side panels and the back of the collar. Overall I'd say it's lacking in polish and charm but. fine. Hopefully the real deal is a bit sharper. Darken up the teal a bit, fix the collar.

I'm more keen to see the second and third kits tbh. Nike smashed it with most of those throwback ones this season.
Well I can confirm that they're definately not fixing up the collar. Every 2021 Nike kit will have either a V-Neck like this or a Round Neck version, all with the weird back of collar connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back