Abram Jones

Debutant
Jun 18, 2016
Wisconsin (WI)
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I don't even support N Melbourne!
Ranks from 1872-2017 available (including All Time): http://internationalsports.nfshost.com/index.php/home/load_sports/5/2017

This ranking system is, by far, the best rating system in representing the true skill of a nation in any particular sport (to date). However, there is still plenty of room for improvement. Mathematicians, ranking/rating experts, and international sports buffs are encouraged to either assist me or take what I have started and improve upon it. This project is not meant as a replacement for my Regions Proposal (having regional teams of similar size regarding population and wealth), however, it could be used in conjunction with such a scenario for maximum accuracy in rankings and ratings.

BASICS
*a nation's wealth and population is defined by Economic Determinant (e-determinant)
*the e-determinant is decided by population amount and gdp per capita amount, this is recalculated every decade (i would have preferred to use national wealth instead of gdp per capita, but such historic data is not easy, or even possible, to come by)
*final scores are adjusted depending on difference in e-determinant
*this causes mathematical problems for certain sports with poor scoring systems, therefore decreasing their accuracy compared to sports with better scoring systems. examples of poor systems: soccer football and ice hockey (severely limited scoring opportunities, too easy for defense), baseball (too much randomization in scoring opportunities, too easy for pitcher).
*certain regions in larger countries could potentially perform better or worse than the actual rating. the rating used for large countries is not an average (this would put large nations at a disadvantage because it would require an exponentially greater amount of upkeep), nor is it necessarily the representation of the best region within the country (this would put small nations at a disadvantage because it would require less upkeep for the larger nations).
*for now the regular Elo Rating system is used, this could change in the future
*the biggest enemy of any ranking system is lack of games played. when observers see an inconsistency in a result from a rating system they often blame it and not the true culprit. this is something to keep in mind when analyzing any such system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

RANKING: nations with at least 11 matches (if they have less than 30 the nation name is in Italic).
PROVISIONAL RATINGS: nations with 6-10 matches
ACTIVE & UNRATED: nations with 1-5 matches

OTHER SPORTS COMPLETED
  • American Football (appears to be quite accurate, but it looks to me as Austria is overrated due to lack of games played. they should be in between Japan and Germany. This problem will resolve itself when more games are played).
  • Australian Rules Football (this is looking pretty good, but Nauru should be above Samoa in All Time, this is the result of a technicality (Samoa stopped playing internationally regularly). however, this problem should be resolved after the intercontinental cup this year.
  • Circle Kabaddi
  • International Rules Football
  • Standard Kabaddi
*i'm working on data entry for several other sports. you may see statistics for them in nation profiles, keep in mind they will not be as accurate as possible until complete). i would like to complete basketball, rugby union, and water polo next.

My biggest issue with this list is the amount of times the flags are wrong

They aren't wrong, there are alternative flags used in certain situations (there's a link to the list on the main page). Alternative flags are often purposely flown at sports events, so why not on a ratings page? Historic flags are also used in previous years.

Well sure, if they are minor alternations such as having the Country's crest on it. But the following are not even close:

upload_2017-6-7_13-34-59.png
No

upload_2017-6-7_13-36-35.png
This is the Naval Jack. So maybe it has relevance for the East Indian Trading Company, but I fail to see the relevance to football

upload_2017-6-7_13-38-1.png
Maybe I've being pedantic. But this should be square, not rectangular

upload_2017-6-7_13-38-37.png
Again, Naval Jack.

upload_2017-6-7_13-39-18.png
Again, Naval flag

upload_2017-6-7_13-40-30.png
Don't get me started

upload_2017-6-7_13-40-53.png
See above

upload_2017-6-7_13-42-0.png
Russian Navy (Jack)

upload_2017-6-7_13-44-20.png
Civil Ensign

I'll abandon it there, but there are plenty more.

Why not just use correct flag for each nation, rather than some flag that's irrelevant to the sporting team

:) Yes, I'm aware of what types of flags these are. So how about the ratings? I can't believe you left out Mali's flag.

I too am passionate about flags ... as may have been evidenced. :)

So I take it you are against the proposals of Australia and New Zealand changing their flag? I mean Canada did it a long time ago... not that they made the best choice. (we are totally off topic)

So I take it you are against the proposals of Australia and New Zealand changing their flag? I mean Canada did it a long time ago... not that they made the best choice. (we are totally off topic)

Not so much against it per se (though I think the proposed Australia flag is bad), more that until it's confirmed to be changed, it shouldn't be used to represent the country.

It's like people photo-shopping transfer targets in their kit when there's only rumours going around

Not so much against it per se (though I think the proposed Australia flag is bad), more that until it's confirmed to be changed, it shouldn't be used to represent the country.

It's like people photo-shopping transfer targets in their kit when there's only rumours going around

Fair enough. Here is one of my several arguments for using alternative flags. Anyone into history will appreciate this, I think: http://internationalsports.nfshost.com/index.php/home/load_sports/5/1956 (and if not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956)

Fair enough. Here is one of my several arguments for using alternative flags. Anyone into history will appreciate this, I think: http://internationalsports.nfshost.com/index.php/home/load_sports/5/1956 (and if not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956)

There's no problem using historical flags if it is relevant to the time. I see the Nordic Cross German flag (or one of the variations of it). It was a proposed flag, but it was never used in a sporting context at all. It was a proposed flag. I know that Hearts of Iron used a variation of the flag before its time, but I think that's due to other reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since this has become the flag thread....

My one freakish skill in life is knowing countries flags when I see them. Aren't I lucky! Some people can only smash 30 yard free kicks like Bale or Beckham or fend off like Dusty Martin I can pick out the Djibouti flag so jokes on them

My one freakish skill in life is knowing countries flags when I see them. Aren't I lucky! Some people can only smash 30 yard free kicks like Bale or Beckham or fend off like Dusty Martin I can pick out the Djibouti flag so jokes on them

it is a skill, you can impress the ladies with it. once i bragged that i knew all the flags to a girl, she said if i can name any flag she picks she'll go on a date with me. it was Solomon Islands (pretty much no one knows that here in the states, sadly)

I thank FIFA and FM for my geography knowledge. I can locate any country, identify any of the current flags, and can figure out a country by its outline... most of the time.

My favourite book as a kid was called Flags of the World, so I'm a bit the same

Am good for a guarenteed point at quiz nights (there's always one flag question)

My favourite book as a kid was called Flags of the World, so I'm a bit the same

Am good for a guarenteed point at quiz nights (there's always one flag question)
Yeah I remember reading a kids book on it and it just stuck with me over time. I'd say the beers have lowered my 100% to 95% minimum now

This thread is now about flags (if it wasn't already)

nothing wrong with that, though I was hoping to get some feedback on the actual rankings which are the result of years of work and research. i guess i deserve it for being too flashy on the website :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back