Socceroos Socceroos Asian Cup Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The World Game understands that the A-League's top scorer has been rewarded for a 10-goal burst for Wellington Phoenix and an all-round contribution which has made him the competition's deadliest player so far this season.

The 26-year-old, who has seven Socceroos caps and is scaling new heights after nearly two years of injury setbacks, is viewed as a player who can lift some of the goalscoring load from veteran talisman Tim Cahill.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/12/22/red-hot-burns-lands-socceroos-asian-cup-spot

Terry ANTONIS

Aziz BEHICH

Mark BRESCIANO

Nathan BURNS

Tim CAHILL

Jason DAVIDSON

Ivan FRANJIC

Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk)

Chris HERD

Mile JEDINAK

Tomi JURIC

Robbie KRUSE

Mitchell LANGERAK (gk)

Mathew LECKIE

Massimo LUONGO

Matt McKAY

Mark MILLIGAN

Tommy OAR

Mat RYAN (gk)

Trent SAINSBURY

Matthew SPIRANOVIC

James TROISI

Alex WILKINSON

Would definitely consider Kennedy for his height, experience and point of difference to our other striker options.

Wilkshire not getting named in the squad surely is a telling sign that his international career is all but over given he's 32 or 33?

Would love to see Williams in there too after missing out on the WC. Will be touch and go for him after missing so much football in recent times.

Shame to see no Good there - no idea what's up with him. Disturbing lack of news about him coming from the club. Hasn't been involved in any reserve fixtures either and with our horrendous injury list, if he were fit, he might have got a few games or made the bench as the very least.
Surely Ange is taking the piss when he leaves Josh Kennedy out of the Asian Cup. Cahill is our only real goal scoring threat. Kennedy would of worried them as well with his aerial threat.

Surely Ange is taking the piss when he leaves Josh Kennedy out of the Asian Cup. Cahill is our only real goal scoring threat. Kennedy would of worried them as well with his aerial threat.

I heard Kennedy on SEN radio recently and he said his back will keep him out of the Asia Cup. I thought it an interestingly comment considering he is about to begin at Melbourne City.

Perhaps his back copes OK with a game a week, but the more condensed Asian Cup program wasn't going to suit him?

Based on the squad annouced, I would like up as follows:

--------------Ryan------------------
------(Langerak, Galekovic)----------

Franjic-Milligan-Spiranovic-Davidson
(Herd-Wilkinson-Sainsbury-Behich)

---------Jedinak-Luongo------------
---------(Antonis-McKay)------------

Kruse-------Bresciano------------Oar
(Leckie-------Troisi------------Burns)

--------------Cahill-------------------
-------------(Juric)-------------------

Last edited:

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING

He has already said he isn't fit and we have someone who scored 10 goals in 11 games in Burns and Juric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKay over Mooy, disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKay is a bit more flexible in that he can play just as mediocre at left back as well in the middle. Mooy can only really play that #10 role. Mooy missing out is the only real issue I have with the squad. We're a lot more potent than last June with Burns and Kruse in the side too. Way more confident seeing the final 23. It's just both sets of full backs are either half fit, a bit a s**t or both.

No Da Silva. Had really hoped Ange would take a chance on him. Kid will be the most creative Australian since Kewell in 5 years, if he isn't already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Da Silva. Had really hoped Ange would take a chance on him. Kid will be the most creative Australian since Kewell in 5 years, if he isn't already.

Amini is the same player and probably further in his development than Danny. We saw in the FFA Cup Final this time last week how easily Danny can be overawed and shut out of a game.

City have come out and said he wont play until February even though he is available from January 1st.

I rkn this will be Ange's XI

----------------------- Ryan -----------------------

Franjic--------Wilkinson-----Spiranovic-----Behich

-------------Jedinak-----------McKay---------------

Kruse-----------------Bresc-----------------Oar

-----------------------Cahill------------------------

Yeah pretty happy with the squad given what we had to pick from. Thought we might see a couple more young bolters in the squad like Smith and Da Silva but not much point I guess given they wouldn't see much action.

Ange needs this team to make the semis or the heat will be on, or it should be. Any talk of 'the future' is an excuse, we should be trying to win.

Actually forgot about Holland. That's a huge omission considering he's been a mainstay for a while now. He isn't injured either going on the last few Aussies Abroad wraps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back