Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I think it's 1. soccer 2. basketball
...uuum, based on....????

Basketball is 2nd based on the facts. The top 5 players under 23 in the NBA are all international players. Name me another sport in the world that has multi million dollar contracts (possibly cricket 20/20 but only parts of the world play that) and has 30% of the league born overseas? It's easily the worlds 2nd sport. Basketball has a presence on every civilised continent on Earth.

Europe have some top leagues, Australia has a decent enough league, Africa has produced some great players with Embiid knocking back 40+ yesterday, China goes mad for it, Argentina are in the top 5 teams in the world. Not to mention the Aussie Simmons a shoe in for rookie of the year this year.

I don't think you could make an argument against it not being 2nd. But let's hear it.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Basketball is 2nd based on the facts. The top 5 players under 23 in the NBA are all international players. Name me another sport in the world that has multi million dollar contracts (possibly cricket 20/20 but only parts of the world play that) and has 30% of the league born overseas? It's easily the worlds 2nd sport. Basketball has a presence on every civilised continent on Earth.

Europe have some top leagues, Australia has a decent enough league, Africa has produced some great players with Embiid knocking back 40+ yesterday, China goes mad for it, Argentina are in the top 5 teams in the world. Not to mention the Aussie Simmons a shoe in for rookie of the year this year.

I don't think you could make an argument against it not being 2nd. But let's hear it.

I could potentially make an argument (without really having an opinion), but you wouldn't be able to follow it I'm afraid given you've demonstrated an inability to follow this dicussion

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I could potentially make an argument (without really having an opinion), but you wouldn't be able to follow it I'm afraid given you've demonstrated an inability to follow this dicussion

LOL, alright dude. I just pretty much spelt out an argument in pretty clear terms. With that classless response, all I can say is go back to your cave your ignorant troll.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

I wouldn't say China go mad for it, they traditionally aren't great lovers of sport, i think overall it's a bit closer between Cricket and Basketball than you think, as you probably know Cricket is a religion in India-Pakistan and Bangladesh and those countries make up a large part of the world.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I wouldn't say China go mad for it, they traditionally aren't great lovers of sport, i think overall it's a bit closer between Cricket and Basketball than you think, as you probably know Cricket is a religion in India-Pakistan and Bangladesh and those countries make up a large part of the world.

China is the biggest market for basketball outside of America. Cricket is an easy 3rd. But basketball just has too much money behind it and too many leagues spread around the world for cricket to be 2nd. A quick google of the worlds biggest sports: out of the 4 I read, all 4 had it :

1. soccer.
2. basketball.
3. cricket.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL, alright dude. I just pretty much spelt out an argument in pretty clear terms. With that classless response, all I can say is go back to your cave your ignorant troll.

The discussion was around the biggest sport in china. Go away now.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
:DIt's become a broad discussion on the biggest sporting codes in the world, and how sensitive soccer fans are when their code is denigrated.
Until the soccer gods tell them to burn things, presumably.

Gold! Careful though, he's a moderator

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Gold! Careful though, he's a moderator
It's a discussion on the main board of the AFL forum. I know Wanderers supporters and I do admire their passion and the support they got from inception.
I'll be really happy when Parramatta Stadium is done and they dont use Spotless anymore though. I worry about them burning it down, and we need it in the winter.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a discussion on the main board of the AFL forum. I know Wanderers supporters and I do admire their passion and the support they got from inception.
I'll be really happy when Parramatta Stadium is done and they dont use Spotless anymore though. I worry about them burning it down, and we need it in the winter.
I'd want to burn things as well if i had to put up with 90 minutes of that crap.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong

Urrghh basketball

Back