Socceroos -- Oceania Nations Cup preview

Remove this Banner Ad

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
Seeing that I'm starting this thread on the evening when the Germany v Brazil final in the World Cup takes place, I don't expect much a response. However, this coming Saturday marks the Socceroos' first match in the Oceania Nations Cup-- and with it, Australia's first step at getting back to respectability in international soccer.

Below is a link to the article I wrote previewing their chances (although it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Australia and New Zealand will eventually meet in the final in Auckland on July 14)...

http://www.dailysoccer.com/article.php?Article=144

Enjoy, and discuss. :)

Cheers,
William

I'll be keeping an eye on the tournament, hopefully we can produce good results (although we'll be dead-set favourites, complacency could become a factor as NZ, Fiji, and Vanuatu continue to improve) with a tournament victory and spot for next year's Confederation Cup!

I find it very risky to only bring back one European player for the tournament. Part of Australia's problem in qualify was the fact that the first choice team barely ever plays together. Chipperfield will do well and there is much competition but we need the likes of Emerton, Viduka, Kewell, Muscat, Moore, Schwarzer, Tiatto and co playing more games together.

Originally posted by Slax
I find it very risky to only bring back one European player for the tournament. Part of Australia's problem in qualify was the fact that the first choice team barely ever plays together. Chipperfield will do well and there is much competition but we need the likes of Emerton, Viduka, Kewell, Muscat, Moore, Schwarzer, Tiatto and co playing more games together.

That's true, Slax-- looking at the first part of your post-- but bear in mind the following...

A) It's just the Oceania Nations Cup, and it's best for Farina to maintain the good rapport with the coaches of those players' European club sides for when he REALLY needs the likes of Emerton, Viduka, Kewell, etc....

and

B) Chipperfield isn't exactly a Socceroo Abroad yet, as he's just been signed by Basel from Wollongong Wolves.

This squad seems to be good enough to win THIS competition; save the call-ups of the big guns for the Confederations Cup, for example.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by NICK THE PIE MAN
All NSL players barring one!

Yikes! :eek:

And as I said, based on current experience, they're all NSL players. Some, however, have had experience in Europe in some way, shape or form.

Cheers,
William

Considering Soccer Australia's financial woes, you would think Farina would have called up a few more European based players. Maybe not the stars, but the fringe players wanting to permenantly break into the National team, players like Bosnich, Aloisi, etc. With the WC just finished, they wouldn't be tied up with training, would they?

Originally posted by you_idiot

A) It's just the Oceania Nations Cup, and it's best for Farina to maintain the good rapport with the coaches of those players' European club sides for when he REALLY needs the likes of Emerton, Viduka, Kewell, etc....

Fair enough point. Especially considering there are 2 Aussies at both Glasgow Rangers and Leeds who would be in the starting 11. Hopefully the new Leeds manager will be slightly more open to his players playing internationals.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Considering Soccer Australia's financial woes, you would think Farina would have called up a few more European based players. Maybe not the stars, but the fringe players wanting to permenantly break into the National team, players like Bosnich, Aloisi, etc. With the WC just finished, they wouldn't be tied up with training, would they?

Good point-- however, I also believe that SA has taken into account the egos of some, if not a heavy majority, of the European players as well.

Bear in mind what I reported in the article, 4th paragraph (a small line, yes, but quite significant in the tournament, IMO)...

..."It has been a very difficult time to select a squad, but we have picked the best squad available and all the players selected had great seasons for their respective clubs," said Farina, whose players will only be paid if they win the competition due to Soccer Australia's current depth of debt.

(Note that the bold-and-italics are mine, for emphasis.) :D

Is that a sacrifice that the likes of Kewell and Viduka, or even Bosnich and Aloisi, would like to undertake?

Give the younger players, as well as those previously overlooked, the chance to impress here. It seems like a win-win situation, really-- the Socceroos can win this tournament and qualify for the Confederations Cup, barring a total disaster, and second, the players have a chance to impress and therefore expand Farina's player pool on a long-term basis.

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by Slax

Fair enough point. Especially considering there are 2 Aussies at both Glasgow Rangers and Leeds who would be in the starting 11. Hopefully the new Leeds manager will be slightly more open to his players playing internationals.

Thanks for bringing that up, Slax. I'll certainly raise that question to the new Leeds coach, whomever he may be, at the Leeds-Colo Colo friendly at Colonial at the end of July.

Slax, if and when you ever come back here, I owe you a cold beer. Thanks for the feature idea, seriously. :)

Cheers,
William

Is that a sacrifice that the likes of Kewell and Viduka, or even Bosnich and Aloisi, would like to undertake?

Yes, its pretty sad to see a player like Kewell or Viduka, who are on $60k+ a week contracts not willing to play for free, whilst NSL players who are on $50k a year contracts are.

But as they say, money makes the world go round (or around, whichever it is). If SA had a lot of cash sitting around I'm sure the stars of the socceroos would be playing in every game Farina would want them to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
If SA had a lot of cash sitting around I'm sure the stars of the socceroos would be playing in every game Farina would want them to.

And as they don't, unfortunately, it's a good strategic move to get qualified for the Confederations Cup, and that would be a foot in the door towards the payday that would help erase the debt, as well.

Cheers,
William

Quite simply, we have to win. If we win and go to the Confederations Cup, it will go along way to wiping Soccer Australia's debt. So there is quite a bit of pressure on the home-based players and Scott Chipperfield.

C'mon Australia, don't let what happened in '99 happen again!

The Hitman

Originally posted by The Hitman
Quite simply, we have to win. If we win and go to the Confederations Cup, it will go along way to wiping Soccer Australia's debt. So there is quite a bit of pressure on the home-based players and Scott Chipperfield.

C'mon Australia, don't let what happened in '99 happen again!

The Hitman

I wouldn't exactly single out Chipperfield, Hitters-- but you're 100% correct... the pressure's on this untested side, as a unit, but considering the opposition, they'll get the job done.

Not to provoke looking ahead to the Confederations cup, but does anyone know what the scale of prize money being offered is? I think it has to do with how deep you go into the tournament, certainly, but I'll look into it... just to see how far SA has to realistically advance to take care of their debt.

Cheers,
William

I wouldn't exactly single out Chipperfield, Hitters

I didn't I just said all the home based players and Chipperfield, as he is the only non-NSL player there.

The Hitman

Originally posted by manutd/dogs
"much-ballyhooed" ??

Regarding Soccer Australia's debt? Yeah, I would say so...

The other people who cover the sport in this country seem to make a big deal about it, when discussing the organisation and their failures in the past to draw international opponents home or abroad, their running of the NSL and the like...

I try not to make that big a deal about it in my writing whenever I cover SA matters, but in this context, I couldn't avoid it. Especially, as I noted, when the players won't get paid unless they win the ONC.

Cheers,
William

Australia is in line to host the Confed Cup next year so they'll qualify automatically as the host, so this tournament may mean jack in the end

Originally posted by The Ewok
Australia is in line to host the Confed Cup next year so they'll qualify automatically as the host, so this tournament may mean jack in the end

True, and the USA and a couple of other countries are also in the running as well. FIFA will make their decision known in September.

But if Australia isn't named as the host, I would disagree with your assertion over the meaningful nature over the ONC. Better to take part and win it, just to be sure...

Cheers,
William

True, and the USA and a couple of other countries are also in the running as well. FIFA will make their decision known in September.

According to SBS France & Switzerland are the only others who have lodged bids and France has gone cold on the idea since their World Cup debarcle

According to SBS France & Switzerland are the only others who have lodged bids and France has gone cold on the idea since their World Cup debarcle

The USA have stated their intentions to play the role of hosts as well, and-- patriotism aside-- I would consider them to be the front-runners to host. (I'll try and dig up a link on this, tomorrow.)

FIFA will go to wherever the money's at, and if they give U.S. Soccer the right to host it, the host federation will do a wonderful job in promoting it. FIFA has been enamoured with the USA's organizational abilities since the 1994 World Cup.

I would discount Australia's hosting chances based on the fact that-- just like our recent debate here on the 2014 World Cup bidding process-- the Confederations Cup would take place at the height of the AFL and NRL seasons, and the preferred grounds would not be available.

Cheers,
William

I would discount Australia's hosting chances based on the fact that-- just like our recent debate here on the 2014 World Cup bidding process-- the Confederations Cup would take place at the height of the AFL and NRL seasons, and the preferred grounds would not be available.

Shouldn't be a problem as it only goes for no more than a week and you could host it at Colonial during the AFL split round week and Stadium Australia in Sydney is barely ever used anyway, 2 grounds are enough for it

Shouldn't be a problem as it only goes for no more than a week and you could host it at Colonial during the AFL split round week and Stadium Australia in Sydney is barely ever used anyway, 2 grounds are enough for it

Sounds like a plan, as long as negotiations with the other competing faction, the ACB, can be resolved as well.

We'll see what happens, although I would still favour the USA to host. Having said that, I still wouldn't mind seeing it here, though...

In any event, guest teams would be added should there be any overlap between teams qualifying and hosting. For instance, in either case between the USA or Australia hosting it, the likes of Costa Rica or Mexico would round out the field quite nicely, IMO. :)

Cheers,
William

Remove this Banner Ad

Back