Socceroos trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

bobbity

Debutant
Sep 15, 2001
Australia
I was flicking through "Ralph" mag recently (as you do) and came across an article about the Socceroos 4-1 drubbing of Argentina back in '88. After recovering from how bad our shirts were, I got to wondering whether Argentina had a full strength side on the park that night. Does anyone recall if Maradona and the other big names played? Better still, does anyone have the team line-ups?

To celebrate Australias Bicentennary, the Australian Soccer Federation organised a Gold Cup tournament. They invited two very experienced international sides in Brazil and Argentina and an up and coming side in Saudi Arabia. Played in a round robin format, the top two sides would play-off in the final at the end of the series. This was a friendly match. A shock win over the then World Champions.
Australia's Third Game
July 14 1988, Sydney Football Stadium

Australia 4
Jeff Olver, Charlie Yankos, Robbie Dunn, Wally Savor, Graham Jennings, Alan Davidson, Paul Wade, Vlado Bozinoski, Frank Farina, Graham Arnold, Scott Ollerenshaw
Goals : Wade 4, Yankos 43, 68pen, Bozinoski 80
Argentina 1
Luis Islas, Nestor Lorenzo, Mario Lucca, Oscar Ruggeri, Oscar Garre, Diego Simeone, Sergio Batista (Pedro Monzon 87), Claudio Cabrera (Oscar Dertycia 63), Hernan Diaz, Jose Luis Rodriguez, Toribio Aquino
Goal : Ruggeri 31
Referee : Gary Power (Australia)
Crowd : 18985
Coach : Frank Arok (Australia), Carlos Bilardo (Argentina)

Other results in the Gold Cup included
Aus 0 Bra 1 @ Olympic Park
Aus 3 Suadi 0 @ Parramatta Stadium
Aus 4 Arg 1 @ SFS
Final: Aus 0 Bra 2 @ SFS

Were those shirts the 'Camoflauge' ones? They were the worst strip that Australia has ever had. Still, I do have one :D

IMHO, Australia should go back to the old style strip: Predominately Gold, with Green stripes down the shoulder, Green Trim, and perhaps green under the arms. Green Shorts with Gold stripes down the side, and Gold Socks. If we make the world cup, I'd love to see this brought out as the WC2002 strip as an appropriate reminder of the strip we wore last time in 1974.

Surprising to see Diego Simeone in the side back in 1988...was this predominantly a young side? because I am sure they did not want to send over the REAL players...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back