Socceroos Socceroos World Cup Thread-Final Squad Named (Ruka, Triosi, Brilliante, Croatian guy miss out)

Remove this Banner Ad

Forwards
Daniel Arzani
Tim Cahill
Apostolos Giannou
Tomi Juric
Matthew Leckie
Jamie Maclaren
Andrew Nabbout
Dimi Petratos
Nikita Rukavytsya

Midfielders
Joshua Brillante
Jackson Irvine
Mile Jedinak
Robbie Kruse
Massimo Luongo
Mark Milligan
Aaron Mooy
Tom Rogic
James Troisi

Defenders
Aziz Behich
Milos Degenek
Alex Gersbach
Matthew Jurman
Fran Karacic
James Meredith
Josh Ridson
Trent Sainsbury
Aleksandar Susnjar
Bailey Wright

Goalkeepers

Brad Jones
Mathew Ryan
Mitchell Langerak
Danny Vukovic

Squad of 32 to be reduced to 26 next week.

Thoughts?

Forwards
Daniel Arzani
Tim Cahill
̶A̶p̶o̶s̶t̶o̶l̶o̶s̶ ̶G̶i̶a̶n̶n̶o̶u̶
Tomi Juric
Matthew Leckie
Jamie Maclaren
Andrew Nabbout
Dimi Petratos
̶N̶i̶k̶i̶t̶a̶ ̶R̶u̶k̶a̶v̶y̶t̶s̶y̶a̶

Midfielders
̶J̶o̶s̶h̶u̶a̶ ̶B̶r̶i̶l̶l̶a̶n̶t̶e̶
Jackson Irvine
Mile Jedinak
Robbie Kruse
Massimo Luongo
Mark Milligan
Aaron Mooy
Tom Rogic
̶J̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶T̶r̶o̶i̶s̶i̶

Defenders
Aziz Behich
Milos Degenek
Alex Gersbach
Matthew Jurman
Fran Karacic
̶J̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶h̶
Josh Ridson
Trent Sainsbury
Aleksandar Susnjar
Bailey Wright

Goalkeepers

Brad Jones
Mathew Ryan
̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶L̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶a̶k̶
Danny Vukovic

Squad of 32 to be reduced to 26 next week.

Thoughts?

Ryan
3 defenders
Jedinak Milligan
Mooy
Leckie Rogic Kruse
Juric
I think you'll find we'll be playing a back 4 considering Brillante (apparently) and Karacic (who I don't feel great about us selecting) have been selected for their ability to play right back. Something like:
GK: Ryan (although BVM wasn't very complimentary to him after the friendlies)
RB:Risdon/Brillante/Karacic
CB:Sainsbury
CB: Wright/Jurman/Degenek
LB: Gersbach/Behich
CM: Jedinak
CM: Mooy
CAM: Rogic
LM: Kruse/Dimi
RM: Leckie
FW: Juric

Edit: Milligan could fit somewhere in there too.

That list of forwards isn't really inspiring, but it's the best we have at the moment.

Not sure about this Krancic lad, are we just going around Europe seeing who has Aussie connections who might wanna represent us?

That list of forwards isn't really inspiring, but it's the best we have at the moment.

Not sure about this Krancic lad, are we just going around Europe seeing who has Aussie connections who might wanna represent us?
Seems like it.

Never been here, coach has never seen him..... can he speak English??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it matter that he's never been here?

He is eligible to play for Australia and he seems keen to do so. Good luck to the kid.
I don't strictly have an issue with it, particularly if he's keen to play.

In fact I'm wondering why it's taken so long for us to try this method

I think you'll find we'll be playing a back 4 considering Brillante (apparently) and Karacic (who I don't feel great about us selecting) have been selected for their ability to play right back. Something like:
GK: Ryan (although BVM wasn't very complimentary to him after the friendlies)
RB:Risdon/Brillante/Karacic
CB:Sainsbury
CB: Wright/Jurman/Degenek
LB: Gersbach/Behich
CM: Jedinak
CM: Mooy
CAM: Rogic
LM: Kruse/Dimi
RM: Leckie
FW: Juric

Edit: Milligan could fit somewhere in there too.

luongo has to start!!! midfield really is slow and spuddy. would definitely give petratos a crack in the starting side for the upcoming friendlies too. the side is stale and needs a shake up.

and i don't give a stuff who misses out, arzani makes the 23. the experience will be great for him, and i really think he would be able to generate more on goal than any of the other spuds.

luongo has to start!!! midfield really is slow and spuddy. would definitely give petratos a crack in the starting side for the upcoming friendlies too. the side is stale and needs a shake up.

and i don't give a stuff who misses out, arzani makes the 23. the experience will be great for him, and i really think he would be able to generate more on goal than any of the other spuds.

Agreed. Mass and Dimi are starting 11. Arzani off the bench.

Yeah Dimi kind of went MIA on Saturday night,.
He did, I don't think he's a starter for us by any means.

He copped a fair bit of attention (Not in a bad way) on Saturday night as their key player and you'd expect that to be considerably higher in Russia. Not sure he's quite ready for it.

Not really convinced about the Karacic and Arzani picks. Get the feeling if there weren't eligible for other nations they wouldn't necessarily be in the squad.
Arzani I understand, the last 3 Cups we've been to have had a token rookie pick.

Looking forward to seeing how Luongo does. Would hope he gets some good minutes through the tournament.

Hopefully he rediscovers the form we saw him in throughout the Asian Cup.

Was brilliant in that tournament, then regressed substantially for a while, but his form for QPR over the past few months has been very good.

Don't understand why the Karacic call-up is being shat on. He was getting game time with the Croatian U21's (and playing well) with a view to a call up to the national side and I would imagine a lot of players would like to be in the same side as Modric, Perisic and Mandzukic. Massive coup for us if you think about it. From what I remember reading about him, he has also captained his team (NK Lokomotiva) and for a 21 year old that's not bad at all.

Arzani will be a star and I don't see us getting past the group stages so playing him and tying him to us over Iran is another good decision from Bert.

We should definitely be looking to tie players like Karacic, Arzani, Susnjar and Hrustic to the national team from now on instead of losing them (see; Gulom).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back