canny30

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Max Rooke
A couple things have occurred this year in the social club that I find pretty annoying.

Yeah I might be considered a whinger but I'm going to throw it out there.

Every week it's almost impossible to get guest passes for games, they sell out very quickly.

Every week however there is reasonably large numbers of opposition supporters in the Geelong social club.

My personal opinion is opposition fans should be at a minimum in the social club, we don't pay big money to be surrounded by opposition fans. This is especially true when it's almost impossible to get a guest pass.

Whinge over.

A couple things have occurred this year in the social club that I find pretty annoying.

Every week it's almost impossible to get guest passes for games, they sell out very quickly.

Every week however there is reasonably large numbers of opposition supporters in the Geelong social club.

My personal opinion is opposition fans should be at a minimum in the social club, we don't pay big money to be surrounded by opposition fans. This is especially true when it's almost impossible to get a guest pass.

Whinge over.
I'm not a social club member but fair enough, if that's the case, I agree. If you're paying that money you want it to be a "Geelong" social club environment.

Whinge over.
Only noticed this later in the year and expect they were there using guest passes with Social Club members.

My 16 year old son and his school mates get in there every home game and none of them are social club members. Have no idea how they manage it.

My 16 year old son and his school mates get in there every home game and none of them are social club members. Have no idea how they manage it.
Just walk in, security is rubbish up there. Ive done it a handful of times this year because it's the only place to stand in the stadium this year where the security WONT hassle you.

Depends on whether they are guests of fans, or not. If I was a social club member, I'd be a bit pissed if I could use my guest pass for any idiot in a blue and white scarf, but not my Essendon-supporting best mate if they play down at Kardinia.

If they're just sneaking in, that's different.

This is Australian Rules, one of the great things about it is that we have never had to separate fans by team like European football.

Just walk in, security is rubbish up there. Ive done it a handful of times this year because it's the only place to stand in the stadium this year where the security WONT hassle you.
I am stunned at this.

The absolute *, there were ppl checking tickets up on L3 of Etihad last week ffs, but they don't check the social club area at KP??!

Depends on whether they are guests of fans, or not. If I was a social club member, I'd be a bit pissed if I could use my guest pass for any idiot in a blue and white scarf, but not my Essendon-supporting best mate if they play down at Kardinia.

This is Australian Rules, one of the great things about it is that we have never had to separate fans by team like European football.
I Agree, but not when it's the Geelong Social Club. It should be primarily Geelong fans....that's not an unreasonabke expectation.

Funny you mention Essendon fans actually, there were a few of them carrying on at the Essendon game.

I am stunned at this.

The absolute *, there were ppl checking tickets up on L3 of Etihad last week ffs, but they don't check the social club area at KP??!
They've improved it over the past couple of months. It was a joke previously, that is true.

I Agree, but not when it's the Geelong Social Club. It should be primarily Geelong fans....that's not an unreasonabke expectation.

Funny you mention Essendon fans actually, there were a few of them carrying on at the Essendon game.
Surely it already is primarily Geelong fans, because they are the ones who are bringing the guests.

What would you have the club do, bar all opposition paraphernalia at the gate?

They only check your social club ticket on entry to the bar from the seating area - and strangely as you leave the bar to go back to your seat. Otherwise anyone can walk into the social club seating area and find a spare seat.

Yeah, I saw an English Sydney fan last year complaining that he was sitting near Geelong supporters at the GF and I was like this isn't Europe mate; it is a good thing that we don't divide supporter groups here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it already is primarily Geelong fans, because they are the ones who are bringing the guests.

What would you have the club do, bar all opposition paraphernalia at the gate?
No mate.

The number of opposition fans at some games are very high and some of them they tend to carry on because they're in enemy territory or something. I don't think anyone cares about a few.

I doubt you'd go to the Collingwood Social Club at the G and see a bucket load of Geelong fans in there.

Well I guess so, don’t want an Elaine Bennis situation on Seinfeld where she was asked to leave for wearing an opposition hat at a Yankees game though.

I was a Social Club member a long time ago and for memory they would say the tickets are ‘non-transferable‘ but you could in reality give them to anyone you want. I’m pretty sure this is what happens when you see large numbers of opposition fans in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back