Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

our constitution specifically allows discrimination and was part of the famous misinterpreted constitutional change thought to be "recognising aboriginals as people rather fauna".

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/coaca430/s51.html
(xxvi) the people of any race , other than the aboriginal race in any State, for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws;

the bit underlined has been repealed

another is the ability to ban people from voting determined by race
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/coaca430/s25.html
Islam isn't a race.

Islam isn't a race.

Some people wanted to marginalise this race too...

273103-8980ef2c-0693-11e4-ac31-28cbd3f83dd9.jpg

That'd be interesting at least if you had the Senate and House merged, but retained the separate voting. It'd have to remain the 'Senate' state based, given how antsy Australians are about states.

If you made it the Senate and made the House around the same size - so around 160 odd seats in total, then outside 2010 and this year you'd get an ALP or Coalition majority more often then not still.
Sect 24 of the constitution says the house members must be "as nearly as practicable, twice the number of the senators."

Race isn't exclusively used to describe strict genetic groupings. It's also used to describe common social groupings.
But probably not when you can group them using their common religion. Which Hanson is specifically doing.

If her thoughts were attempted to be made into legislation it directly contravenes the "freedom of religion" part of sect 116.

Her argument at the moment is that Islam isn't a religion.

Sect 24 of the constitution says the house members must be "as nearly as practicable, twice the number of the senators."
Yes, but if you're effectively merging them the whole constitution would need changing anyway. If it was left as double the Senate, then even more elections would be one side having an absolute majority in the single chamber.

Race isn't exclusively used to describe strict genetic groupings. It's also used to describe common social groupings.
Link

The various Australian acts relating to racial discrimination use different definitions of “race” and some of the State and Territory legislative definitions provide wider coverage than the Federal Racial Discrimination Act. The table below summarises the scope and the interpretation of “race” in each of the acts using terminology contained in those acts. No inferences are made about the scope and interpretation of “race” as defined in each act.

race-by-act.jpg

RDA = Commonwealth Racial Discrimination Act (1975)
RHA = Commonwealth Racial Hatred Act (1995)
HREOCA = Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act (1986)

Yes, but if you're effectively merging them the whole constitution would need changing anyway. If it was left as double the Senate, then even more elections would be one side having an absolute majority in the single chamber.
Good luck changing the constitution getting the double majority need a majority of states and a majority of people to change it.

The kiwis don't have states so a whole lot of senators running for the 1951 senate said they would go to parliament to abolish the Senate and that's what they did. I heard a discussion about it back in April with a Kiwi commentator but can't remember constitutionally how they did it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck changing the constitution getting the double majority need a majority of states and a majority of people to change it.

The kiwis don't have states so a whole lot of senators running for the 1951 senate said they would go to parliament to abolish the Senate and that's what they did. I heard a discussion about it back in April with a Kiwi commentator but can't remember constitutionally how they did it.
Yes, so Australia is stuck with the two chambers. I think it would be improved if the House went with optional preferential voting, similar to some States. Otherwise it's Churchills line about Democracy being the worst system of government, except all the rest. Although appointment me Dictator for life and I promise to be a benevolent one :D

Yes, so Australia is stuck with the two chambers. I think it would be improved if the House went with optional preferential voting, similar to some States. Otherwise it's Churchills line about Democracy being the worst system of government, except all the rest. Although appointment me Dictator for life and I promise to be a benevolent one :D
I have to correct a couple of things. Firstly NZ never had a Senate they had a Legislative Council. There have been a couple of Senate proposals post 1951 but never went anywhere. Their Constitution like ours was first an act of UK parliament but was an 1852 act for a single colony not 6 like Oz. So there was no need for a referendum to change things. Their new constitution came in to force in 1986 and that doesn't needs a vote of the people to change it. Initially it was like the House of Lords ie members appointed for life. Then in the 1890's the appointments were for a fixed 7 years. So at the 1950 election the Nationals said they would abolish the upper house, they won, they appointed a s**t load of new members as a lot of the members term limit came up and the "suicide squad" appointments only did 1 thing - vote to abolish the chamber.

So even with the new constitution the people voted for the MMP which gave them an effective house+senate in one chamber and the call for a senate has evaporated. NZ doesn't have to change its constitution by referendum but the government has had several pre and post 1986 to change it. Plus they have had 3 citizen initiated referendum re constitutional issues. They have had plenty of others re non constitutional issues.

Last edited:
The fact the major parties are actively trying to gain her votes in the senate gives her credence alone.

This gives her relevance, not credence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, is this a real thing? Dearie me.
"Its religious aspect is fraud; it is rather a totalitarian political system, including legal, economic, social and military components, masquerading as a religion."

If you want to drop your IQ a few notches read the full text here.

I have to correct a couple of things. Firstly NZ never had a Senate they had a Legislative Council. There have been a couple of Senate proposals post 1951 but never went anywhere. Their Constitution like ours was first an act of UK parliament but was an 1852 act for a single colony not 6 like Oz. So there was no need for a referendum to change things. Their new constitution came in to force in 1986 and that doesn't needs a vote of the people to change it. Initially it was like the House of Lords ie members appointed for life. Then in the 1890's the appointments were for a fixed 7 years. So at the 1950 election the Nationals said they would abolish the upper house, they won, they appointed a s**t load of new members as a lot of the members term limit came up and the "suicide squad" appointments only did 1 thing - vote to abolish the chamber.

So even with the new constitution the people voted for the MMP which gave them an effective house+senate in one chamber and the call for a senate has evaporated. NZ doesn't have to change its constitution by referendum but the government has had several pre and post 1986 to change it. Plus they have had 3 citizen initiated referendum re constitutional issues. They have had plenty of others re non constitutional issues.
I'd still take NZ if they wanted to join Australia. I'd trade for Tasmania kicked out in a blink. If Adelaide gets mocked for living in the 70's, they take the 'Don't change / develop' mantra to a whole other level (as the live off the rest of the country). Any Port supporting Tassie fans of course excluded!

Caucasians living in the Asia ie middle east and other parts of Asia??

let's hope it never comes to the ugly side of discrimination.

I think we all accept, including people fro immigrant families like ourselves, that a sensible immigration policy is taking a bit from here and there. This ensures assimilation over time.

ghettos and division serve no one any favours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back