Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

In today's The Advertiser under "SA's People To Watch in 2017"

View attachment 327280

Is it weird that they used the word "Oriental" here? It has a bit of a "all Asians are the same" vibe to it.

Chinese tourists coming to Australia aren't having a caucasian adventure, are they?

Is it weird that they used the word "Oriental" here? It has a bit of a "all Asians are the same" vibe to it.

Chinese tourists coming to Australia aren't having a caucasian adventure, are they?
No, it is not weird. In that context "oriental" refers to a location, in the east, not the race of the indigenous people in that location.

Chinese tourists coming to Australia are having a "down under" adventure.

No, it is not weird. In that context "oriental" refers to a location, in the east, not the race of the indigenous people in that location.

Chinese tourists coming to Australia are having a "down under" adventure.

Yeah but "down under" specifically refers to Australia, whereas "oriental" is just a broad reference to Asia with no respect for the diversity that exists within it.

Why be broad when you can say "China" (or even "Sino"). Our adventure doesn't involve any other Asian countries.

Yeah but "down under" specifically refers to Australia, whereas "oriental" is just a broad reference to Asia with no respect for the diversity that exists within it.

Why be broad when you can say "China" (or even "Sino"). Our adventure doesn't involve any other Asian countries.
Kiwis are offended by your comments.

It sounds to me as if you are looking for a reason to be offended by The Advertiser. Whatever you do don't catch the Orient Express as you will be deeply offended. :)

The average Advertiser reader would have no idea what they meant if they used the term "Sino".

Kiwis are offended by your comments.

It sounds to me as if you are looking for a reason to be offended by The Advertiser. Whatever you do don't catch the Orient Express as you will be deeply offended. :)

The average Advertiser reader would have no idea what they meant if they used the term "Sino".

Lol deeply offended? Steady on. I just think there are better words to use that aren't so broad.

It is a descriptor that, along with negro, was recently removed from descriptions in federal law in the US.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ed-offensive-terms-us-law-alien-a7052546.html

So I'd say it can be easily considered offensive to some people.

Well there you go.

OK. I would've referred to those nations East of Egypt as Middle Eastern as far East as Afghanistan, Pakistan, India as sub continental. I think of the Himalayas as being the boundary between the middle East and Far East and the 'Asian' boundary as Nepal and Bangladesh. I guess the definitions tend to shift over time. I have always thought of China specifically as the Orient. I've never seen a specific definition of what is what. I'll happily admit to being uneducated here.

Watch the BBC World News or SKY UK News and you will notice that Asian means Indians or Pakistani and Oriental is used for when they want to refer to nationalities east of Bangladesh.

Since I picked up on that about 6-8 years ago from those UK news services I regularly use the term Oriental Asia or Oriental to differentiate Asians from Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iran, India Sri Lanka etc. Also watching the Socceroos play all across the Asian continent has added to why i make the distinction.

I find that a bit surprising tbh, I thought it was generally accepted that regions in Asia were referred to in terms of location.

East Asia - China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea
Southeast Asia - Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc
South Asia - India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh
Central Asia - Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan etc
Middle East - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Syria etc

It's not the end of the world if you use the word Oriental but it does look/sound a bit odd to me, especially in the context of the article (i.e. to describe just China).

Anyway happy to move on.

Oriental is offensive to Chinese people.

It's not about whether you as a white Australian are offended by the term (it would be very strange if you were).

"Oriental" is surely an open-and-shut case. In its orginal usage, it was little more than a dismissive term for Chinese. Its near-automatic verbal partner was "wily". The term is a relic of the age of opium parlours and cheap imported Chinese labour, when California was passing its 1862 "Anti-Coolie Act", and the Chinatowns that still dot many of America’s great cities were regarded as fonts of all evil.

These days definitions have changed. But no one uses "Occidental" to denote the West, so why condescendingly lump together Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Indonesian, Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese, Malay and others – half or more of the entire human race?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oriental is offensive to Chinese people. .....
I understand that there are people who find being referred to by that term offensive but, as I posted previously, The Advertiser used the term to refer to a location.

Any way enough of this, I need to get back to being offended by the latest lamb commercial.

You'd hope police no longer describe a suspect as being "of Asian appearance" then, because that doesn't really narrow it down much. Even though we all know what they mean ;)

prince1.jpg

I understand that there are people who find being referred to by that term offensive but, as I posted previously, The Advertiser used the term to refer to a location.

Any way enough of this, I need to get back to being offended by the latest lamb commercial.
The location is incorrect for Australia.
That excuse is kind of like saying negro is just French (Spainsih actually) for black.

Last edited:
That excuse is kind of like saying negro is just French for black.
Black in French is noir. Negro is black in Spanish. I am offended by, I don't know, something about French and Spanish being mixed up.

Noir is black in French. Negro is black in Spanish. I am offended by, I don't know, something about French and Spanish being mixed up.
Haha, I knew that, but got it wrong. Ashamed. I'll relinquish my GCSE's!

I'm not offended by anything, though I do get pissed off by one thing.

Doesn't mean people shouldn't be asked not to use racist terms that cause offence.

Haha, I knew that, but got it wrong. Ashamed. I'll relinquish my GCSE's!

I'm not offended by anything, though I do get pissed off by one thing.

Doesn't mean people shouldn't be asked not to use racist terms that cause offence.
I should've said that I agreed with the point you were making. I was just being a smart arse.

That excuse is kind of like saying negro is just French (Spainsih actually) for black.

.... Correct, from the Latin oriens. Europeans traditionally used the term to refer to all those lands east of the Bosphorus.
:huh:

The term wasn't coined in Australia.

I'm hoping Trump can bring Israel and the Palestinians to the negotiating table so we can have peace in the Middle West. o_O

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back