Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

To claim that these casual users function perfectly within society is borderline ridiculous.

I would state it as a fact that casual users are able to function perfectly within society. That is not to say there aren’t long term health effects as a consequence of drug use.

I think you’re referring to users that transition from casual to frequent. While casual users can and do accidentally overdose or have a bad reaction leading to an emergency room visit, this wouldn’t impact their ability to function in society overall. Frequent visits to the emergency department would suggest a frequent user and likely one that is increasingly unable to function normally in society.

The main difference is quantity. It’s not that Adelaide doesn’t have good events/restaurants/shopping etc it’s that Melbourne has more of these things simply because there’s a bigger population to service. More doesn’t necessarily equate to better though. In my experience it’s largely just “more of the same” and if it’s over 15kms away be sure to pack a lunch because you’re in for a day trip.

If you have the willpower to pry yourself away from Netflix for a few hours you can find something to do in Adelaide just as easily.

Victorians have snow skiing slopes nearby but fail to acknowledge we have some of the best grass skiing slopes right here in SA.
Not to mention superior politicians; to name Marshall and Pyne as but 2 of the genre.

The main difference is quantity. It’s not that Adelaide doesn’t have good events/restaurants/shopping etc it’s that Melbourne has more of these things simply because there’s a bigger population to service. More doesn’t necessarily equate to better though. In my experience it’s largely just “more of the same” and if it’s over 15kms away be sure to pack a lunch because you’re in for a day trip.

If you have the willpower to pry yourself away from Netflix for a few hours you can find something to do in Adelaide just as easily.
Now we have a central city AFL stadium (thanks to Port's heavy lifting of course), for week to week activities Adelaide is largely as good as Melbourne (Lygon street beats Rundle St. O'Connell or the Parade for eating out, but unless you're eating out at restaurants every week that's hardly a deal breaker). Where the Eastern states (and Perth often) have an edge is Adelaide is often bypassed for concerts, conventions and shows. Again though, unless you are doing them weekly, just turn going to one into a short holiday.

The small downsides of Adelaide versus Melbourne (/Sydney/Brisbane) is more than made up for by living in a city that is less polluted, doesn't require half a day to cross fully North-South or East-West and despite the serial killer jokes is much safer. I enjoyed living in Melbourne 2000-2007 (the 2007 GF aside), but still think I made the right decision moving back to SA for bringing kids up.

Although we still ******* need to fix our shopping hours. That's one legitimate gripe about here. FFS it's not the 1950's. Open the god damn shops at 9am on Sunday's and leave open to 9pm, if not 24 hours every weekday during the week.

Victorians have snow skiing slopes nearby but fail to acknowledge we have some of the best grass skiing slopes right here in SA.
Not to mention superior politicians; to name Marshall and Pyne as but 2 of the genre.

You can fly to New Zealand in the time it takes to drive from Melbourne to Falls Creek. There are some pretty cheap flights to Japan these days too. I’m not a skier but I’ve been told both are much better for skiing than the Vic Alps.

Now we have a central city AFL stadium (thanks to Port's heavy lifting of course), for week to week activities Adelaide is largely as good as Melbourne (Lygon street beats Rundle St. O'Connell or the Parade for eating out, but unless you're eating out at restaurants every week that's hardly a deal breaker). Where the Eastern states (and Perth often) have an edge is Adelaide is often bypassed for concerts, conventions and shows. Again though, unless you are doing them weekly, just turn going to one into a short holiday.

The small downsides of Adelaide versus Melbourne (/Sydney/Brisbane) is more than made up for by living in a city that is less polluted, doesn't require half a day to cross fully North-South or East-West and despite the serial killer jokes is much safer. I enjoyed living in Melbourne 2000-2007 (the 2007 GF aside), but still think I made the right decision moving back to SA for bringing kids up.

Although we still ******* need to fix our shopping hours. That's one legitimate gripe about here. FFS it's not the 1950's. Open the god damn shops at 9am on Sunday's and leave open to 9pm, if not 24 hours every weekday during the week.

Lygon Street is just awful these days. Restaurant quality is really hit and miss and most of the hawkers are amateur dickheads who think bullying is good banter. Apart from a couple of pizza restaurants and the cinema I wouldn’t even bother with it and I can walk there in 30mins from home. I haven’t been to Rundle Street for a while but I can’t imagine it being worse tbh.

It's still beyond me how and why the Central Market is closed on Sundays, all the tourism dollars they're throwing away

You can fly to New Zealand in the time it takes to drive from Melbourne to Falls Creek. There are some pretty cheap flights to Japan these days too. I’m not a skier but I’ve been told both are much better for skiing than the Vic Alps.

Lygon Street is just awful these days. Restaurant quality is really hit and miss and most of the hawkers are amateur dickheads who think bullying is good banter. Apart from a couple of pizza restaurants and the cinema I wouldn’t even bother with it and I can walk there in 30mins from home. I haven’t been to Rundle Street for a while but I can’t imagine it being worse tbh.

The only decent part of Lygon Street is north of Brunswick Road.

B.East and The Alehouse Project to name a couple.

Rundle Streets heydays was in the 90s. It's all westside now. Peel, Leigh, Waymouth, Grote and Gouger is where its at these days.

It's still beyond me how and why the Central Market is closed on Sundays, all the tourism dollars they're throwing away
Have you ever owned a small business? People want a day off and Sunday double pay penalty rates don't do anything for their bottom line. Tourists tend to get out of town on the weekend.

Last edited:
Click on Macquarie Sports Radio to listen to the RoCo show before the Big Bash and its Hudo talking cricket from the ground. I think to myself Hudo is on SEN. Go there and its the same feed as on MSR. WTF is going on?

Last edited:
Y
It's a mystery to me why anyone would eat on Lygon St when Brunswick St is only a few blocks away.

Ever heard of Mt Buller? Lake mountain? Mt Baw Baw? We did regular day trips to Buller, great skiing and snow boarding. Bad Baw and Lake Mountain great for snow play, but also good cross country skiing.

Love to visit Adelaide, esp to take in a game at AO, but will never live there again. Each one to his own, so you guys are welcome to it! :)

Ever heard of Mt Buller? Lake mountain? Mt Baw Baw? We did regular day trips to Buller, great skiing and snow boarding. Bad Baw and Lake Mountain great for snow play, but also good cross country skiing.

Love to visit Adelaide, esp to take in a game at AO, but will never live there again. Each one to his own, so you guys are welcome to it! :)

A day trip to Mt Buller is still 6-7 hours in the car, it’s not exactly just down the road. In any event my point was that you wouldn’t move from Adelaide to Melbourne just for the skiing when there are a plenty of other reasonably-priced options available.

Bench is for the bro's. You'd need some strength for fend off's, but I'd have thought back work like pull-ups would be more bang for buck.
What are they doing for the plyo work? Do they do any Olympic lifts for strength-speed or is it more jumps and throws for speed-strength?
Why wouldn’t you do both, the push /pull theory works we have look small and weak for years we need to lift more and get a ******* wrestling and kicking coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever owned a small business? People want a day off and Sunday double pay penalty rates don't do anything for their bottom line. Tourists tend to get out of town on the weekend.
Sunday rates / penalty rates are another 1950's anachronism that has no place in the 21st century. Fix that and shops forced to close and we'd have a more vibrant city (and suburbs).

You sound like someone who doesn't work on Sundays.
Usually not, but if I'm doing upgrades of client or our systems on a weekend or out of hours I don't get paid more (or less) depending on what time it is. No one's pointing a gun at anyone and saying they have to work. It's always amusing (in a black humour, are these people for real way) the same people who complain about the sanctity of penalty rates are often vocal about youth unemployment and not enough jobs, but miss the connection completely.

Sunday rates / penalty rates are another 1950's anachronism that has no place in the 21st century. Fix that and shops forced to close and we'd have a more vibrant city (and suburbs).
No, we just have people working longer hours for less pay.

Let people have a ******* day off, one day a week without rampant consumerism isn’t an anachronism it is becoming a necessity.

The beach is open, the parks are open etc.

Rundle Streets heydays was in the 90s. It's all westside now. Peel, Leigh, Waymouth, Grote and Gouger is where its at these days.

I reckon Rundle Streets heyday was the mid to late 1960's.

I have fond memories of doing multiple laps in my HD X2, with the choke halfway out to make the engine sound like it had the hottest cam in town :eek:, and saying GIDDAY ( in the smoothest way possible for an Aussie bloke ) to the three wheelers (sheilas ) who were walking along the footpath. ;)

Unfortunately, Valiant drivers with their nodding dogs on the parcel shelf surrounded by bauble beads all around the rear screen, and at this time of the year nativity scenes, that lit up when the driver touched the brakes stuffed the situation for us classy Holden blokes. :rolleyes:

Usually not, but if I'm doing upgrades of client or our systems on a weekend or out of hours I don't get paid more (or less) depending on what time it is. No one's pointing a gun at anyone and saying they have to work. It's always amusing (in a black humour, are these people for real way) the same people who complain about the sanctity of penalty rates are often vocal about youth unemployment and not enough jobs, but miss the connection completely.

Have been and have had family members "very strongly" encouraged to work sundays and public holidays.

If people want to work happy to let them but if they need a break happy to let them.

Have had a couple of bosses say yeah I dont get sick leave, long service etc fair enough you work hard but it you turnover 100 percent more or your profits go up massively I am sure I am the first person you think of when you buy that new car etc

What holds for skilled professions doesn't really hold for unskilled youth employment. I don't see the connection between you, who I'm guessing can't be easily and quickly replaced like a commodity, out there upgrading complex systems on a Sunday ... to kids working or not working in retail. Automation is a far bigger issue than penalty rates IMO. It is depriving kids of what used to be a soft and relatively low risk entry into the social aspects of working with others .. like an adult.

Germany basically shuts down on a Sunday, a lot of retail too. Not sure that has anything to do with pay rates. I don't think they have a crushing retail duopoly like our Woollies/Coles that would be overwhelmingly the largest beneficiary of dropping penalty rates, concentrating market power even further. Wherever you look there are other factors in play beyond this particular instance of trickle down economic theory.

I must have a debt the size of a small Eastern European country.
I am guessing that you don't drink much then. Most Eastern European countries have low debt and debt/GDP ratio actually. To make the joke technically correct you should try the Netherlands or the UK. Or maybe Singapore or Greece if you don't want to pick on a western country.

I am guessing that you don't drink much then. Most Eastern European countries have low debt and debt/GDP ratio actually. To make the joke technically correct you should try the Netherlands or the UK. Or maybe Singapore or Greece if you don't want to pick on a western country.
Pretty sure Japan is the worst at over 200% and close to 250%. All that failed stimulus and stagnation since Japaneses economy and Nikkei peaked in December 1989.

Pretty sure Japan is the worst at over 200% and close to 250%. All that failed stimulus and stagnation since Japaneses economy and Nikkei peaked in December 1989.
japan has one of the highest levels of debt but their debt/equity ratio isn't that bad.

A small Eastern European country may have a good debt to GDP ratio, but in comparison to what a single individual would usually have, it's debt would be a lot, lot, more.

I know, but they aren't one of the "good" western countries, are they?

edit: Australians consider themselves western too, right?

So now you want to not be technically correct. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back