Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the same people at everyone , it's not doing anything but causing chaos to normal people.

You classify people by social class and race more than your mate Murdoch

Personally think all the protesting is a waste of time, but I guess if you protest out of the way and cause no disturbance it kind of defeats the purpose? Bit like asking people to strike in their own time?
I have a friend who delivers parts for machinery etc , sometimes delivers to the badlands near Dandenong to a company that does small parks for an F 35 fighter , they blockade saying these parts are going to Israeli jets , well Australia has F 35s as well as many other countries , that's how dumb these rats are . Get a job , or do some social service

I have a friend who delivers parts for machinery etc , sometimes delivers to the badlands near Dandenong to a company that does small parks for an F 35 fighter , they blockade saying these parts are going to Israeli jets , well Australia has F 35s as well as many other countries , that's how dumb these rats are . Get a job , or do some social service
Again, did you head there and do some surveys about what they do for a living /study? Are you documenting that it's the same people day in, day out, and they don't work at night?

It's your unjustified assumption that all or most of the people who protest are unemployed, not studying and are on welfare.

Again, did you head there and do some surveys about what they do for a living /study? Are you documenting that it's the same people day in, day out, and they don't work at night?

It's your unjustified assumption that all or most of the people who protest are unemployed, not studying and are on welfare.
Why are they all wearing masks ! it is my assumption , as why aren't they working . Maybe go and do some charity work , help people here that need it , no matter what race or creed .

I totally agree with what's happening , but protest on a weekend and disrupting people on a Monday will make no Fi ing difference to what's happening over there . These people are professional protesters

That's the whole point, protests are supposed to be disruptive, in order to make it economically unviable to continue supporting Israel.

You're better putting me on ignore as you hate everything i post .
i just hope no one needed to get to hospital !

you snipe (clumsily) at anyone you don't agree with ... i'm happy to monitor everything you post
you can put me on ignore

I never said protestors were right, Don't really know enough about this to comment, Just meant protesting designed to get attention

Not at all , i come from a poor Port /South Melbourne family where everyone had to work to provide , i don't own a home , we've battled all our lives , don't compare me to that septic tank dog

Didn't say you were rich, and I don't have any doubt your heart is in the right place, but you are talking about "them" a lot .

We are all guilty of it at times, none of us perfect/

Be nice if we got to a point where none of this s**t mattered , everyone was just human

Didn't say you were rich, and I don't have any doubt your heart is in the right place, but you are talking about "them" a lot .

We are all guilty of it at times, none of us perfect/

Be nice if we got to a point where none of this s**t mattered , everyone was just human
Correct , i'm not trying to judge , we have the best country and safe , not withstanding the horror that happened Saturday .
We just want to live in peace here and not have people with masks on disrupting our lives .

Correct , i'm not trying to judge , we have the best country and safe , not withstanding the horror that happened Saturday .
We just want to live in peace here and not have people with masks on disrupting our lives .
I can appreciate your sentiments here bedders and in an ideal world that would be the ethos we all live by - be thankful for what we have and all just get along.

But some don't have the privilege of thinking that we have the best country and that we're safe.

Muslims who are erroneously blamed for violent attacks by non-Muslim Australians (and who would be the most demonised and ostracised if Australia ever went to war with countries like, say, Iran and Lebanon, which is very much on the table.)

Indigenous Australians who can't participate in the sports they love without being vilified, then get to watch as the nation they call home votes against giving them constitutional agency in referendums.

Women who are often the targets of misogynistic and/or violent men, who can't have their situations prioritised by authorities unless they turn up beaten, bloodied, or worse.

Why would any of the above groups of people think Australia "the best country" or a "safe" country? Fair dinkum we generally don't need to worry about mass shootings in schools like the US, or war or famine like some countries around the world. But we have a long way to go to be the country for ALL that you think we are.

There is a reason for the anger and the emotion and the urgency to do something and try and make change happen. If you don't understand that then it probably speaks to your privilege. (And please don't think acknowledging your privilege in society means you haven't had hardships in life. The two aren't mutually-exclusive.)

So many points here. But let me keep it shortish....I deleted so much and I really want to keep this forum to football because this does not need to be politicized as well as everything else even though that is what is desired by so many so this is the last on this particular topic.

In a nutshell, taking your absolutely hypothetical point about someone in the sport facing homophobia, why do you think a football club entering a float in what has become a social event divorced from its original purpose (I know people at the original mardi gras by the way) will have any positive effect on them?

Our club cannot even police its own players to have them avoid being around the sale of coke (putting it politely). The AFL employs diversity officers that assault people on the field. Its morals in head office descend to the level of openly power imbalanced affairs.

If you want these institutions to be the moral and cultural guardians is it too much to ask they clean up their own bedroom and house a bit?

In any event let us return to this hypothetical powerless actor devoid of being able to "do something" in the face of homophobia in this sport.

This actor of your has the following on his side against homophobia;

The AFL
All clubs at every level
Popular culture
The MSM and huge portions of both left and right media - essentially 99% of ALL media
Hollywood
"A" lister's everywhere and all the rest of the alphabet too boot
The zeitgeist
Musicians form indy acts to international powerhouses
Something like 40 years of solid affirmative action
The vast majority of people around him in the sport - players, spectators, supporters and rule makers
Laws in the game
The whole legal system
Actual (draconian) worded laws
Parliament
The whole of the education system from kindy to post graduate with internal rules and systems that defy logic and the rule of (actual) law
That disgusting human rights tribunal
The UN for crying out loud

Probably missed a few

And against this stands, in your hypothetical, some moron either too dumb, or totally without self worth, making a gay joke or saying, SAYING, something that hurts their feelings

Yes. I can see how the Swans putting a float in the local street parade and all the virtue that signals is going to tip the balance.

Just be a football club. I reckon your hypothetical guy has a bit of power on his side he can harness apart from this ridiculous float.

Counterpoint: people like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women who are often the targets of misogynistic and/or violent men, who can't have their situations prioritised by authorities unless they turn up beaten, bloodied, or worse.
I normally try to avoid the SRP board as I'm here for the footy, but I read the above as I was about to post the following;

A western New South Wales man charged with murdering a young woman was on bail for several violent charges against the same victim.
The Orange Local Court on Tuesday heard Mr Billings was on bail for charges including rape, stalking and intimidation when the alleged murder took place.

The fear that Molly Ticehurst must have had for herself and her young son with Billings allowed out on bail has sadly come to fruition.

To quote Albanese today;
"The fact that more than one woman per week has died at the hands of someone that they know — whether it's a partner or someone in a relationship — is just completely unacceptable."

I honestly have no more words.

I normally try to avoid the SRP board as I'm here for the footy, but I read the above as I was about to post the following;

A western New South Wales man charged with murdering a young woman was on bail for several violent charges against the same victim.
The Orange Local Court on Tuesday heard Mr Billings was on bail for charges including rape, stalking and intimidation when the alleged murder took place.

The fear that Molly Ticehurst must have had for herself and her young son with Billings allowed out on bail has sadly come to fruition.

To quote Albanese today;
"The fact that more than one woman per week has died at the hands of someone that they know — whether it's a partner or someone in a relationship — is just completely unacceptable."

I honestly have no more words.
25 women killed by domestic violence this year. Just horrid.

25 women killed by domestic violence this year. Just horrid.

this fckng plague of violence against women is not new and it is not "hidden" ... it's been headline news for decades, it's been the subject of well funded political campaigns and high-profile media and advertising campaigns, it's been written and talked about in schools and workplaces and parliaments and newsrooms ... yet here we are ...
it's not just the 25 women this year, it's however many last year, and the year before, and the year before ... blah blah blah
i have posted about this before
it's a very simple matter of right or wrong, right or fckng wrong ... no grey area, no excuses, no "yeah, but ..."
there is an malevolent, twisted, fckng gutless current still running through the male culture
it is a fckng national disgrace (an international disgrace!) and the only people who can stop it are men ...
i have to stop myself going further on this, fckng seething to the point of tears

Remove this Banner Ad

Back