Player Watch #25 Sofia Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Sophia Hurley
Club/State:
Victoria - Sandringham Dragons
Height: 166cm
DOB: 30-01-2004
Position: Midfield
Hurley is a determined and speedy midfielder who runs hard all day and contributes going both ways. The Sandringham Dragons product won the Dragons Best and Fairest and was also awarded AFLW Academy honours, as well as repeat Vic Metro representation. Her strengths lie in the midfield with a huge work rate and crafty stoppage exits, but she can also roll forward to good effect.
Sydney Swans Coach Scott Gowans said:
“Sof is a fast outside midfielder with great skills and awareness,” Gowans said.
“She has the ability to find both the footy and ID space. We expect Sof to play on the flanks and wings, and we believe she will also be able to drift forward and hit the scoreboard. Her 2km time trial demonstrates her athletic abilities and she will be a key part to our growth as a team for many years to come.”

Midfielder - and she's so freaking good. Can't wait to see her in the red and white.
Your wish ... ;)
Ap7gDzdy.jpg

Sydney the right fit for Sofia

"The beaches are so cool, and the weather is so nice. Just everything about [moving to Sydney] was just so appealing," Hurley told womens.afl.

"The fact that I wanted to study architecture and the uni that I'm going to here is like the best one in Australia. So, everything literally just aligned, the footy club and everything. As soon as I came to Sydney, I just knew it was the right fit."
Hurley has settled into a house with teammates Aliesha Newman, Sarah Skinner, and Paige Sheppard, all of whom have also made the move from Victoria. The quartet also hosts Ham when she is in Sydney.
"I think the most important thing is everyone's confidence has grown as well, and our belief in one another, we trust each other... It's just a matter of time together and learning to play with each other.

Sofia - an 18 year old!
Highest average pressure acts during the 2022B #AFLW H&A season
32.1 - K. Bowers
24.0 - T. Lucas-Rodd
23.5 - E. Marinoff
20.3 - E. Bates
19.8 - Tam. Smith
19.7 - J. Yorston
19.0 - M. Conti
18.7 - A. McKay
18.5 - S. Hurley
18.5 - G. Prespakis

Hurley, another 2022 Rising Star nominee, came to prominence with starring performances last season against Essendon (12 disposals, 2 goals) and Fremantle (15 disposals, 1 goal).

A core part of the team, the dynamic midfielder said she is determined to improve.

"I feel like last year was just the beginning for many of us and to have my future sorted here is amazing," Hurley said.

"It's a club with rich history, and knowing that we are now forging our own in the red and white is truly special."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe she is not in the team of the week. The game she played on Sunday was immense. Given I didn't watch any of the other matches, can only assume there were plenty of cracking performances over the weekend....................

Can't believe she is not in the team of the week. The game she played on Sunday was immense. Given I didn't watch any of the other matches, can only assume there were plenty of cracking performances over the weekend....................
Yes. She's def improved over the later half of the season.

We did get three players in the team of the week this week, so it’s probably only fair to let some other clubs have a go.

Though this week I’d have been happy to see Gardiner miss out and Hurley take her spot. Gardiner must be pretty tired by now with all the extra minutes she’s played across the season’s teams of the week.

I’ll be keen to see if Hurley gets any recognition in the final RS voting. She started the season solidly enough but has come with a rush over the second half of the year. I’m particularly impressed by how much her kicking has improved. Her goals in recent weeks tell part of the story. (How good was that set shot conversion for her first on Sunday!). But she’s also becoming a reliable, penetrating field kick as well.

Last edited:
We did get three players in the team of the week this week, so it’s probably only fair to let some other clubs have a go.

Though this week I’d have been happy to see Gardiner miss out and Hurley take her spot. Gardiner must be pretty tired by now with all the extra minutes she’s played across the season’s teams of the week.

I’ll be keen to see if Hurley gets any recognition in the final RS voting. She started the season solidly enough but has come with a rush over the second half of the year. I’m particularly impressed by how much her kicking has improved. Her goals in recent weeks tell part of the story. (How good was that set shot conversion for her first on Sunday!). But she’s also becoming a reliable, penetrating field kick as well.
Gardiner was as reliable as ever but in terms of outright impact on the game, Hurley was the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back