Softest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

In private yes. To a mate within ear-shot, yes.

Publicly, and in a defamatory way, absolutely not. And I worry about the impact these sorts of threads have on the welfare of players.

If I had 50,000 people watching me at work making judgements about my performance, I think it would create a fair amount of anxiety. And while you might be big a tough enough to cope with that level of scrutiny, others aren't.

Calling a player "soft" is defamatory now?

It's no different in describing football ability as it is to describe poor skills, poor tackling technique or lack of fitness.

No player is defamed through being called soft. Get a grip. We aren't here to hold hands and sing the praises of each and every player ffs. I'll draw a line at things that aren't football related accusations/allegations that can't be proven, but on field? Lynch, Cunnington and Selwood are dirty pricks, Stephenson is soft, Atley is a poor kick. Bring on the lawsuits!

Additionally of course I wouldn't want to read criticism about me, but you know, I wouldn't open a title named "softest player" then...

Last edited:
hmmmm a lot of gut running outside good finishing players being mentions here.....my theory is coaches drum it into the heads of players like fantazia, brad hill, brandon ellis and polak types to keep their feet and clock up the kms to assist with there team roles/spread ect. and not being at the bottom of packs or flying 4 deep in a contest to spoil....they get the big bucks to run and gun so leave the heavy lifting to devon smith, jack graham and libba types. the great man john kennedy would say you're on the ground we are one short and same with crashing a pack and giving your team mate a split head or a bad corkie. if any afl player can get thru a pre season and then play a 20 plus games season and finals then thats good enough for me. he dosn't need to be as hard as a cats head.

100% agree

It's all about team balance. A team of 22 Matt Priddis players is no better than a team of 22 Bradley Hill players.

You need players to win the ball in tight or make a tough tackle, and you need players to run hard to spread and create an opportunity to move the ball forward cleanly.

However just as players that can't kick are criticised even if it's not their role, so can players who don't go for the ball hard enough.

Calling a player "soft" is defamatory now?

It's no different in describing football ability as it is to describe poor skills, poor tackling technique or lack of fitness.

No player is defamed through being called soft. Get a grip. We aren't here to hold hands and sing the praises of each and every player ffs. I'll draw a line at things that aren't football related accusations/allegations that can't be proven, but on field? Lynch, Cunnington and Selwood are dirty pricks, Stephenson is soft, Atley is a poor kick. Bring on the lawsuits!
That’s nice. I just think you’re soft for hiding behind the anonymity of this site and calling elite athletes soft, when I’m guessing you’d run a million miles if one of them was coming at you on a football field.

While the temptation to pile on sledging a Carlton player is strong, think this is a classic example of how video footage can mislead. Pretty sure this footage is from last years Essendon-Carlton game at the G played on a damp slippery surface. It's pretty obvious his feet go out from underneath him as he is about to handball to the Carlton player down the line. Pretty dumb blind handball yes, soft, I don't think so.

Watching him regularly in his later stages, he 100% puts his teammates under pressure often in an attempt to get rid of it.

No one could say early days Marc Murphy was soft though. But now, yes.

That’s nice. I just think you’re soft for hiding behind the anonymity of this site and calling elite athletes soft, when I’m guessing you’d run a million miles if one of them was coming at you on a football field.

Wow, calling me out publicly and in a defamatory manner! Oh the humanity.

What was it you posted about Isaac Smith? An aging flanker who "hates body contact". Hypocrite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back