Astronomy Solar Eclipse

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Total (or more technically, hybrid) solar eclipse visible from Exmouth in WA today around 11:30.

Darwin and Perth might get a half decent partial eclipse. Melbourne gets 10% partial later in the day.

Live stream here: Solar Eclipse Live Stream - Perth Observatory

Definitely a bucket list item for me, it's a shame they only last a few minutes as there is so many effects I would like to observe (animal and plant behaviour particularly) Anyone checking this out today, or has stories of seeing one in the past?

The link on the website is rooted, there's one on the abc news youtube page.
Apparenty 71% coverage in Perth at 11:20.

types_of_eclipse_photo_2x.png

I saw the total eclipse in October 1976. I was a teenager kicking the footy with friends at Regents Park in Aspendale when it occurred. It's so odd for darkness to come so quickly and then leave just as fast. It wasn't completely dark, more like dusk. The surrounds were full of bird life then (hopefully still) and perhaps the strangest thing was how the birds all went quiet. Every single one, absolute silence. Totality only lasted a minute or so but I was naughty and did take a look at it. The image is burned in my memory and perhaps my retina. The Hun has an article written at the time about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back