Remove this Banner Ad

Beat RSA in the tests
Make the WTC final
Win the WTC final
Retain the Ashes in England
Lead the team to CWC Final
Win the CWC in India, against India.

Paddy is a ******* legend.
Probably the best 12 months in Aus cricket ever. At least since 06/07.

Go Woke, Go absolutely Legendary.

Justin Langer was the right guy to lead us after the south Africa debacle.

But coaches with his level of intensity generally have a short shelf life, and it proved true here.

If he wasn't already, Pat Cummins cements himself as a legend of Australian cricket today.

In the pantheon of Australian cricketers Bradman and Warne sit 1 and 2. Not saying Cummins is 3 but he's now in the conversation alongside McGrath, Ponting, Smith, Gilchrist, Border, Waugh and G Chappell (and a few others).

As for his captaincy, it's now proven an inspired choice. He was already proven as a leader of men. He's gone to war for his players against sections of the media and some past players and smacked them out of the park every single time. They had already rewarded that and shown they'll put their bodies on the line for their captain. That's a huge chunk of the captaincy battle won already.

Tactically? Not gonna lie. A few eyebrows raised at various points. But he has hit the mark more often than not and the results prove that.

Today will honestly go down as one of the greatest captaincy displays in the history of cricket. Balls of absolute ******* steel to send India into bat.

But coaches with his level of intensity generally have a short shelf life, and it proved true here.

If he wasn't already, Pat Cummins cements himself as a legend of Australian cricket today.

In the pantheon of Australian cricketers Bradman and Warne sit 1 and 2. Not saying Cummins is 3 but he's now in the conversation alongside McGrath, Ponting, Smith, Gilchrist, Border, Waugh and G Chappell (and a few others).

As for his captaincy, it's now proven an inspired choice. He was already proven as a leader of men. He's gone to war for his players against sections of the media and some past players and smacked them out of the park every single time. They had already rewarded that and shown they'll put their bodies on the line for their captain. That's a huge chunk of the captaincy battle won already.

Tactically? Not gonna lie. A few eyebrows raised at various points. But he has hit the mark more often than not and the results prove that.

Today will honestly go down as one of the greatest captaincy displays in the history of cricket. Balls of absolute ******* steel to send India into bat.

100% !

Done it with the ball, done it with the bat, and done it at the toss.

Also after our fielding at the start of the comp, no doubt behind the scenes pushing them to be much much better.

Teams played way better when langers role was reduced in side and they have taken it to another level since they moved on from him completely, the way langer and his mates in the cricket media (and some supporters) carried on after all of it has been embarrassing and they look like even bigger dickheads now.

You wont get people saying well we might have won 2019 wc if only we didnt have a right wing christian conservative as our coach as thats just ******* stupid but people were fine blaming every loss on our skippers non cricketing belief system, you guys who have ruined every damn cricket thread with that non stop garbage you are pathetic and need to take hard look at the way you have acted.

Some of his tactics during the Ashes were awful, but in retrospect it's clear that he was adhering to (misguided) plans.

His captaincy today IMO exceeded anything Ponting did in the format. Bowling first was immensely ballsy, and his field placings and bowling changes strangled the life out of India.

Respect.

Pat is in great company now and deservedly so:

screenshot_20231120_070054_facebook-2-jpg.1856289

Last edited:
I always found the criticisms against Pat a bit distasteful as they were clearly related to off the field issues. Clearly traditionally conservative Australia wouldn't like the modern approach he's lead here and the former players lead that charge as well as the politically conservative types who didn't like Pats climate stance, which is pretty bloody hilarious and such a stupid criticism to make.

However, through all of that he's never once shown it effect him and through it all has come out on the right side of just about everything he's done as captain and in the space of 12 months has become one of our all time greats.

You could even argue he's just about the best shield from team and criticism we've ever had. No criticism levelled at him about himself or the team has filtered into the psyche of the team and if anything the individuals have become even more empowered.

If anything his success has showed just how embarrassing the level of criticism being thrown at them by former players was.

I'm a convert, I had my doubts, but I honestly can't fault him. If the only criticism the haters can level at him is "Yeah but he said something "woke" about the environment" then he's doing pretty bloody well

Last edited:

Well said.

We needed the drill sergeant to get us out of the funk. Once that is done you need a more subtle leadership that allows for people to grow in their own ways.

I always found the criticisms against Pat a bit distasteful as they were clearly related to off the field issues. Clearly traditionally conservative Australia wouldn't like modern approach he's lead here and the former players lead that charge as well as the politically conservative types who didn't like Pats climate stance, which is pretty bloody hilarious and such a stupid criticism to make.

However, through all of that he's never once shown it effect him and through it all has come out on the right side of just about everything he's done as captain and in the space of 12 months has become one of our all time greats.

You could even argue he's just about the best shield from team and criticism we've ever had. No criticism levelled at him about himself or the team has filtered into the psyche of the team and if anything the individuals have become even more empowered.

If anything his success has showed just how embarrassing the level of criticism being thrown at them by former players was.

I'm a convert, I had my doubts, but I honestly can't fault him. If the only criticism the haters can level at him is "Yeah but he said something "woke" about the environment" then he's doing pretty bloody well
Yeah the political side is interesting, I think overall Australian Cricket has had a pretty LNP / Conservative bent - I'm thinking Bradman, Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Justin Langer. John Howard in the comm box. Either way it really shouldn't matter and it's a bit embarrassing the media have had a crack at Pat for his political statements.

He has been a very good shield and criticism hasn't seemed to get to the team. The only example I can think is the bullshit Carey had to put up with in England. But that was probably something CA needs to take up with England more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Pat for his cricket, and I dislike his woke bullshit. Is that okay?
Could I ask what his woke BS is? The only thing he did was not want to do an ad or something with an energy company that has a poor record environment wise, it's hardly as though he's out campaigning and chaining himself to trees. I don't recall him even speaking publicly on anything "culture war" related. Even if he has, what's so woke about environmental responsibility? Surely people aren't so sensitive that that sets them off, it's hardly a fresh ideal.

This whole woke thing has been blown way out of proportion imo

Cumdog is a modern man for modern times

Its no longer baby boomer or gen x era, it is the Millennials era.

Time waits for no man and dare I say a fair amount of older Australians need to accept that.
Well put. We're traditionally very conservative as it is so it's going to take a while though.

Yeah the political side is interesting, I think overall Australian Cricket has had a pretty LNP / Conservative bent - I'm thinking Bradman, Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Justin Langer. John Howard in the comm box. Either way it really shouldn't matter and it's a bit embarrassing the media have had a crack at Pat for his political statements.

He has been a very good shield and criticism hasn't seemed to get to the team. The only example I can think is the bullshit Carey had to put up with in England. But that was probably something CA needs to take up with England more than anything.

what are you crapping on here.

It was a great win by the team. Whoever the mastermind was to mix the bowling up during the campaign deserves kudos.

Was skeptical of the captain being a bowler due to the historical focus of captains being predominantly batters, but it has proven to be an inspired choice.

I thought Steve Waugh leant ALP?

Tend to agree with your overall take though. Adam Gilchrist was probably the most left-wing of the 'golden generation'.

Maybe he does, I know the LNP tried recruiting him once though.

Waugh has stated that he has declined "a number of" approaches by the Australian Labor Party to run for political office, expressing the view that he is not suited to politics.

Google Search turns up more FWIW.

I'm sure that Justin Langer has had dealings with the LNP, though.

A large part of cricket’s enduring appeal in this country is its association with tradition, nostalgia, patriotism and endless carefree summers of your youth. Not sure to what extent that entails a link with political conservatism but it’s not too long a bow to draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back