Remove this Banner Ad

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Who has Solar Panels on their house?

What did it cost?
What do power bills look like now compared with before?
Was it worth it?
Any negatives etc?
Is there any government rebate?

Cheers

I got them installed last week so too early to tell yet but at least they make my house look good. ;)

Who has Solar Panels on their house?

What did it cost?
What do power bills look like now compared with before?
Was it worth it?
Any negatives etc?
Is there any government rebate?

Cheers
Got them with Uncle Kevins money during the GFC
Cost about $3G
Save about $1G a year
So well and truly paid off and I thank Uncle Kevin everytime the sun shines

Got them with Uncle Kevins money during the GFC
Cost about $3G
Save about $1G a year
So well and truly paid off and I thank Uncle Kevin everytime the sun shines
How long are they guaranteed to last?

25 for the panels and 5 for the inverter was the guarantee

Crikey. I didn't realise how affordable they've become then. Sounds like a no brainer.

What do bills look like as opposed to before roughly?
It was long time ago and power prices have gone up since then and in Qld the connection fees went up massively under Newman to try and make solar panels less attractive.
I live in a very sunny part of Australia and all my appliances are 4 star or above,and I have all LED lights, no air con, but run 4 fridges and a chest freezer all year not just for hoarding mince now
I also have solar hot water
I also get a 44 cent feed in tariff

Everyone will be different

There are websites were you can put in your location and average use and it will do the maths for you

i have 18 panels, 3.5kw inverter
i am on a 51c feed in tariff

my last bill for 3 months was 652kw of usage costing me $280, and 795kw exported earning me $405.
so each qtr i am making money. that money covers my gas usage. so i am energy neutral.

i have 18 panels, 3.5kw inverter
i am on a 51c feed in tariff

my last bill for 3 months was 652kw of usage costing me $280, and 795kw exported earning me $405.
so each qtr i am making money. that money covers my gas usage. so i am energy neutral.

You are cost neutral, not energy neutral.

Solar generation is great, but without storage is a solving half of the problem and creating more.

Solar generation is great, but without storage is a solving half of the problem and creating more.
There is some pumped hydro in Qld(Wivenhoe Dam) and they just announced a green light for a new big one behind Townsville

Storage is just the kind of infrastructure the feds could announce to rebuild the economy after the virus is over but it is " this" government they are more likely to build a coal fired plant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pumped hydro and batteries both have merit.

It still comes back to people wanting 24/7 power delivered to their house and renewable technology not producing the way conventional power plants do.

If you are willing to put enough panels on your roof and batteries under/next to your house you don't need to be connected to the grid. But most people don't want that, and those that do balk at the cost.

Pumped hydro and batteries both have merit.

It still comes back to people wanting 24/7 power delivered to their house and renewable technology not producing the way conventional power plants do.

If you are willing to put enough panels on your roof and batteries under/next to your house you don't need to be connected to the grid. But most people don't want that, and those that do balk at the cost.
Storage will naturally increase as people get electric cars and they become part of the system for transport and to power the house especially if charged durring the day by renewables
The other storage game changer will be hydrogen when its produced by renewables when demand is low and used instead of conventional gas and used as exports

I generate more than i use. Thats a good thing.
Will look into batteries soon. My neighbour had batteries recently installed.
I’d be happy to be off grid. I am for all water and waste water.

There was a good article I read that suggested subsidised batteries would be a good stimulus post Corona
Gets people working to install ship sell them, reduces costs for the owner and drives down wholesale power prices for everyone else too,to give bussiness a boost too.

I did the math on batteries a little while ago aaaaaaaand it's way too expensive
It wont add up for a while for a lot of people,except for those that are a great distance from a power pole
The electric/hybrid car as a duel purpose storage battery for the house and transport will be more cost effective quicker than a stand alone battery.
Solar hot water would be a much better investment for a return on investment now

It isn't. Domestic energy grids aren't designed for large amounts of energy going back into the grid. It's also not as simple as Gold Coast needs 1000 MW (example) and 500 MW is coming from solar so the nearest coal plant can just burn half as much coal during the day.

The issue is standard people wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Power bills aren't representative of the cost of getting energy to your doorstep. The biggest cost is building and maintaining the distribution network, not generating the energy. Solar is green (manufacturing panels offsets some of this) but the main reason most people get it is to save money. The more people not paying for their power puts a bigger strain on the utilities. We are sort of playing catch up now to try and make best use of the solar capacity we have/potentially have.

But it's also a bit of a paradox. If you don't encourage people to go green then fewer people will do it. If you price electricity higher and less as a function of how much you use, people won't take their energy consumption seriously. Etc.

It isn't. Domestic energy grids aren't designed for large amounts of energy going back into the grid. It's also not as simple as Gold Coast needs 1000 MW (example) and 500 MW is coming from solar so the nearest coal plant can just burn half as much coal during the day.
The coal plant would have weather and usage modelling and plan accordingly
Pumping hydro up hill at Wivenhoe Dam could also use up the excess power and in the future any excess becomes stored hydrogen

"Queensland is on track to achieve its 50 per cent renewable energy target by 2030, and is expected to hit 20 per cent this year," he said.

"We continue to be a world leader in rooftop solar, with more than 560,000 Queensland households sporting solar systems.

"All of this has been achieved despite the investment wet blanket of constantly changing national energy policy, and no integrated climate and energy policy."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back