Soldo or CCJ?

Who comes in this week for Nank?

• Soldo

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • CCJ

Votes: 30 27.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Horses for courses. If we're playing a team with a dominant tap ruckman: Soldo. If we're playing a team with a more mobile ruck or one that sneaks forward a lot: CCJ.

Put my vote in this column.

Love a big, violent Ivvy in the team, but can seriously see CCJ being our #1 for a decade.

Reckon CCJ getting a long stint as no. 1 VFL ruck could fast track him nicely. He'll get to be the main man, but at a level he should be able to be super competitive. I wouldn't be shocked if Callum is a genuine AFL quality player in 2020 after a bit more development and experience.

Hope Ivan Soldo grabs the AFL spot with both hands and holds on. Would be awesome for us right now, and another quality ruck would not hurt. And in the end if we have 3 AFL rucks then we are in a great spot trade wise - cause you won't keep 3 good rucks.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I'll take CCJ and get going with the future.
Soldo is noty the future, albeit he tries.
Too early to call yet...
It's not about the future right this moment with CCJ...
I reckon it's short term...about Soldo breaking even or better in the coming ruck duels so the team could possibly make finals...

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Tbh apart from some ripper tackles, Nank hasn't done a lot this year.

I'm actually excited to see whether Soldo can give us something different on the ball or whether he's just another Hampson

Probably another hampson. But getting first use would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this will be seriously considered. I'm not joking

Considered but a very big call to ask a 19 year old to smash into McEvoy all day with another 19 year old as his backup It wouldn't worry Balta but for the kid's sake I think we need Soldo. It's a long season.

I agree that Soldo will likely at least halve the ruck contests but I worry about him around the ground.
CCJ is very mobile and can elevate to take a contested mark.

This is the key for me. It's six months since I've seen Soldo, it was a VFL final last year, and he was abysmal around the ground. Just a bad game perhaps? I don't know. He's such a late bloomer it's hard to pick up some of the finer nuances at the pace the game is being played these days. I expect a ruckman and little else really. I hope he rubs my face in it though!

Soldo makes more sense right now. I like that CCJ will take the VFL ruck. Ivan might not be capable of filling Nank's shoes. But I reckon he's likely to do a decent job.

I think this is a great point. Not sure who we play gainst this week in the Magoos, but CCJ will get alot of Ruck time as a consequence of Soldo replacing Nank for now. It will allow coaches to see if he copes with that first, which will help his development. It has to be a week to week proposition for both boys I reckon.

Last edited:
This is the key for me. It's six months since I've seen Soldo, it was a VFL final last year, and he was abysmal around the ground. Just a bad game perhaps? I don't know. He's such a late bloomer it's hard to pick up some of the finer nuances at the pace the game is being played these days. I expect a ruckman and little else really. I hope he rubs my face in it though!
Same - I hope Soldo develops into our very own Mumford - a bit slow and lumbering perhaps but smashes anyone who gets in his way.
Just not sure he has it in him but as they say in the classics - happy (ecstatic actually) if I am proven wrong.

Just a point on looking to the future above here and now. If we can keep our season on track and we get players back from injury then our window is still wide open. So we play for here and now until here and now is draft picks.

In the long run I expect CCJ to be our main ruck for several years. But right now Ivan is the best placed to keep the Tigger Train rolling on

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
How much time does CCJ get in the ruck in the seconds? If Soldo is doing 2/3 than he is the only choice. Any Mid season draft prospects?

soldo 85% main ruck in the vfl, aside from the occasional match where they trial someone else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've always considered Soldo a back-up for Nank as the #1 ruck.

CCJ I have been expecting to replace Balta as forward/2nd ruck for a block of games when Balta shows signs of fatigue at some stage this season.
That is unless we go back to a makeshift Broad/Garth/etc backup ruck instead to allow an extra mid/forward in the team ala 2017.

An option I hadn't considered until the Freo game is Balta as 1st ruck, then CCJ as forward/back-up. I don't think I'm brave enough to go with that.

My preference is Soldo as 1st ruck, Balta 2nd ruck. CCJ rotated into the side when one of the others looks like needing a break.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Moore, Chol, Soldo, Coleman-J and Miller have been falling over each other to some extent at different times in the VFL team this season, but the club is compelled to play all of them when fit. So now Garthwaite looks like staying aloft in the AFL, Miller assumes a key back role there. One tall player almost certain to be elevated to the AFL team to cover Nankervis, and Moore is out of the way for a while.

This leaves the VFL team with Beasely and Miller to play key back roles, Coleman-J most likely to play first ruck, which should be fantastic for him, and Chol to assume a much bigger role as genuine second ruck and the key forward target(a role he is likely to share with CCJ.) In fact the VFL team will likely need to find one more key position forward from the shires it seems.

Whoever gets picked in the AFL(like most, I expect it to be Soldo first,) the effect of the injuries to Moore, Rance and Nankervis is that a load of tall players go from having too little responsibility to having as much as they can handle. If more talls get injured from here, it could become a real weakness in our playing stocks.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Yes Soldo is groomed for this, but he is limited and not the future. But he is as ready as you can be.
Chol is not a forward, he is a ruck in waiting, but is not given the responsibility (because Soldo is so good at VFL level, and CCJ is the future).
Chol will be delisted at the end of the year unless something happens. Seems a waste of talent.
Might be a waste of talent,, but does mabs really have the burning desire to succeed?
Last year it looked like he did ,,then he broke his leg, hasn't quite been the same
Does he stay at vfl level, or can he make it to afl,? The jury is still out
If he does ill be rapt, as he is such a great guy to have at a club
And is the type of personality that brings people together

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
CCJ obviously the long term pick as I reckon Soldo is a reserves grade back up that will only ever get games in injury situations, however he is more physically developed and been around the club longer than CCJ, so has the size and experienced edge over CCJ. That's important with such a young side already.

Moore, Chol, Soldo, Coleman-J and Miller have been falling over each other to some extent at different times in the VFL team this season, but the club is compelled to play all of them when fit. So now Garthwaite looks like staying aloft in the AFL, Miller assumes a key back role there. One tall player almost certain to be elevated to the AFL team to cover Nankervis, and Moore is out of the way for a while.

This leaves the VFL team with Beasely and Miller to play key back roles, Coleman-J most likely to play first ruck, which should be fantastic for him, and Chol to assume a much bigger role as genuine second ruck and the key forward target(a role he is likely to share with CCJ.) In fact the VFL team will likely need to find one more key position forward from the shires it seems.

Whoever gets picked in the AFL(like most, I expect it to be Soldo first,) the effect of the injuries to Moore, Rance and Nankervis is that a load of tall players go from having too little responsibility to having as much as they can handle. If more talls get injured from here, it could become a real weakness in our playing stocks.

Good summary, tying up the two issues. Who and what then. The who being Soldo almost certainly replacing Nank this week, and the what then, the opening of doors for other plays. Well said MR

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Might be a waste of talent,, but does mabs really have the burning desire to succeed?
Last year it looked like he did ,,then he broke his leg, hasn't quite been the same
Does he stay at vfl level, or can he make it to afl,? The jury is still out
If he does ill be rapt, as he is such a great guy to have at a club
And is the type of personality that brings people together
This is the frustrating thing, I feel he is being played out of position. It is not easy playing key forward in the VFL, for some reason. Grounds are smaller, more congestion, less skill delivering the ball. He also has that Mark Waugh grace and to me he is not challenged to greater heights.
With Soldo most likely now going up to AFL , this is a great time to set Chol the challenge to be the no.1 ruck at VFL level.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sadly I agree with this Bo - Nank’s best season to date remains as 2017
Might be a good time (forced albeit) to “see the future”.
Our injuries as much as they are annoying are the best thing that's happened to Richmond since we lost our big men in early 2017.
Reserves are still undefeated and we have seen our depth players out perform some of the players they have replaced, we were stagnating a little and this is a great opportunity to ensure we stay up around the top 4 for years to come.

Back