Autopsy Solid win against Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what people miss w Serong, he gets the ball but often doesn’t hurt you……I don’t think we were too concerned about his numbers.
It was also the thing people missed with Mundy, but the opposite. You just can't put a price on a player who found targets under pressure 20-25 times a game. Freo took it for granted when they had it and now they don't.

It was also the thing people missed with Mundy, but the opposite. You just can't put a price on a player who found targets under pressure 20-25 times a game. Freo took it for granted when they had it and now they don't.
I nodded so hard upon reading this post, I’ve done myself a nasty neck injury.

3-4 weeks I’d reckon.

Just on my Serong point:

Serong: 32 disposals 10 turnovers conceded.

Brayshaw: 26 disposals 0 turnovers conceded.

I know a lot of Serong’s disposals are under pressure from stoppages - but if he was a Swans player, he’d be verging on whipping boy status.

Serong actually had 12 turnovers. 3 in the first quarter, 3 in the second, none in the third and 6 in the final quarter.

I nodded so hard upon reading this post, I’ve done myself a nasty neck injury.

3-4 weeks I’d reckon.
That’s the Season in Melbourne language

It makes these threads unbearable sometimes. Is there a board with more supporters that gush over an opposition player as much as this board?

We’ve found some gems and also missed out on some great players. It happens.
No club has all the picks, so it is inevitable we will miss out on players we probably rated and they go on to have great careers elsewhere. I think Parker was 40, Warner 39. They were both wonderful picks. Not every pick is going to be a goodie. Every team had bomb outs.

Serong actually had 12 turnovers. 3 in the first quarter, 3 in the second, none in the third and 6 in the final quarter.
I do not like Serong's attitude. Yesterday there were multiple times when he appealed for frees, mostly payed. But when he got one against him he gobbed off at the umpire. If that was last year it was 50. He is a good player but he turns the ball over and expects to get rewards from the umpires every time he is tackled. He was also anaggressor in contact with Swans players after the ball was deemed out of play or a ball up. Pushing one player to the ground. I was astounded there was no free there as play had stopped.

Great win. Our 1st half was immense and arguably our best performance of the year. So clean with our ball use.
For mine we were too conservative with our ball movement in the second half - lots of long kicks to big packs.
All in all a v good effort.
Have a question for you call - do we think Gulden is better served in the middle or on the wing? Personally I’d prefer to have him receiving handballs from Parker, Mills, Rowey etc so we can utilise his great leg.
Good to see Mills building now too.
On the wing as he would not get a hard tag

All the hate on Buddy lately, it was good he could show he is still up to it when the heat is on. His off the ball, assists, 1%ers were valuable in us withstanding the Freo challenge, consistently in the second half. Good to see Wilba clutching and striking the footy much better tonight.

Good win bloods, off the face the Dons at Marvel.
There is no Buddy HATE, as you put it, on this or any other Swans board. There has been a lot of talk about whether we are a better, more flexible forward line without him. As it turns out we changed our normal delivery patterns when Bud plays to target him far less. This has not only benefitted the team but also benefited Bud as most times we target him now he is in a really good position and is more likely to be one out.

When Bud was out we shared the forward entries around. Most swans supporters were frustrated that this did not happen when he came back. We kept targeting him over 50% of all entries, which is far greater than any other player in the history of the game. What has happened since he has returned is that players are lifting their eyes to see options forward. If Bud is not a free option then they go elsewhere. He was only targeted less than 20% yesterday. This is more like it. He gets targeted less, scores more, or has more score involvement, because he is in a better position to take the ball.

It’s something he needs to figure out, he can still generate that run and the transition phase is in his control. The back six can work through that as a group. Will need to risk being out of position defensively from time to time and if he hurts teams enough on the rebound, they will change their tactics.
I think he was trying to do something about it and that is why he was caught out of position a few times, leading to lots of arm waving. They will have to work it out, as you say.

Pretty sure he was playing second tall with no Melican or Francis. That really isn't his strength. Maybe Fox was, I'm not sure, but he seemed unsure of himself quite a few times I agree.
At times he was on the resting ruck, either Jackson or Treacy. When he wasn't on a resting tall he was 3rd man up.

What I would like to know is who was playing on Lachie Shultz? Whoever it was got slaughtered. He must have leprosy he had so much room. Every mark he took he was totally alone. Whoever played on him needs a lesson in defensive work. Or next time just play someone else on him.

There was a LOT of players screaming at each other last night, scenes typically seen in diabolical losses. Given we were in front for nearly the entire game and ended up winning comfortably I took it as a good thing. Shows the boys aren't satisfied just winning, they want to hold each other accountable and strive to get their systems right.

Just got home from the game.

Workmanlike win with plenty to like

But I saw first-hand why we need Barrass. Our back 6 was a mess. Blakey was zoning off, marking nobody & then when an unguarded opposition player marked inside 50, lots of arm waving and recriminations ensued (between McCartin, Blakey, Fox and Rampe).

Fortunately, Freo didn’t get many quality forward entries - because if they did, we’d be in strife.

Up until tonight, I didn’t think we should give up much draft collateral for Barrass. I’ve changed my mind.

But aside from that, the thing I enjoyed most tonight was watching the way Logan moves and creates opportunities. He’s actually incredibly fast - will be a nightmare match up in a couple of years.

And the joy on Hayward’s face after his first goal. His teammates mobbed him. It meant a lot.
Barrass will not come to the Swans. The word is he will stay put. He got injured yet again yesterday. His game ratio is not so good, with a lot of injuries.
Yes we need a good Key Defender. But not him. How about Ratugolea or McKay. Although I am a little worried about McKay and his recent games.

Barrass will not come to the Swans. The word is he will stay put. He got injured yet again yesterday. His game ratio is not so good, with a lot of injuries.
Yes we need a good Key Defender. But not him. How about Ratugolea or McKay. Although I am a little worried about McKay and his recent games.
I'd rather take esava. Fraction of the price

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney2Franklin thread title pretty much sums up the game for me; a solid win.

Initially slow out of the blocks, then dominated the first qtr and from thereon in held a comfortable lead and were able to respond when challenged.
Some nice signs from Hayward, looked confident with his first shot at goal (no thoughts of round the corner) and did his usual up and back work efficiently as well and took Luke Ryan out of the game.
Last minute from Heeney with a fine mark and straight through the big sticks was a reminder of him at his best.

Interesting placement of Mills on the wing, pretty much throughout the game, with Gulden moving inside.
We may be trying out a few things, in particular getting a bit more dynamism in the middle.

Still trying to figure how after well over 300 games and at the age of 36 Buddy is marking the ball better than he ever has.

Logan continues to grow as a player. He'll get the best defender when Buddy retires, but I think he is up to the task. His movement is top notch.

And finally a shout out to Luke Parker. He just keeps on keeping on, another fine leader's performance tonight.

Team as a whole seemed up and about tonight.
Hopefully everyone one pulls up OK. Noticed a few players carrying their boots as they saluted the fans.
Surely can't be coincidental how many soft tissues injuries Freo and West Coast suffer.

Yep, a solid win. :thumbsu:
according to Longmire, Mills was sore from last week. So he decided to play him on a wing where he would get battered around less. sensible if we want to have him later in the season. I think bud has played far better since his return because he is being targeted far less but getting far more reward.

Blakey did lose his opponent who was supposed to be on Schutlz?

Cunningham was on Walters
I am not sure but I did think Shultz had one of Lloyd, Fox or Ollie. I don't think Blakey was on him. If he was then Blakey had a stinker. The coach also had a stinker then because Blakey should never be on a Schultz type. He is purely a ground player.

Just want to say that I think the club might need to address with the players the post-win situation when in WA. Every time - without fail - most of the players don't come over to the fence or interact with the fans beyond a smile and a wave from afar.

Now it doesn't bother me at all. I've had enough mates play at the level to know some players simply aren't comfortable with fan attention and it's not ideal for them. I respect that.

But I stood near a kid calling out for Callum Mills to come over. Our skipper, who talks so much about the fans and the culture of the club. He gave a wave and couldn't have pivoted away faster. And a bunch of guys with a sign saying "Rowbottom's #1 fan" literally screaming and begging James Rowbottom to come see them, and he stood back and with a smile and a thumbs up, followed Mills back the other direction. To say nothing of the many who were likely seeing Buddy for the last time only to have him clap in their direction and then high tail it out of there.

Again, none of this bothers me, and I'm not one of the fans who feels entitled to recognition and appreciation from footballers just because they do their job. Others aren't the same and there were quite a few around me angry and disappointed.

This happens at every game in Perth, so I dunno. Not saying I know the solution but the club maybe wants to look into it as it feels like there's always a disconnect there.
Hear, hear! My daughter was fortunate enough to get a hi 5 from Joel, and she was star struck. Really made her night. Those memories help embed the kids to their club that they choose to follow, and get to see only once per year if they are lucky. Otherwise, they will just go and support Freo, or god forbid, West Coast.

Unfortunately, when you get those kids supporting other teams, you have a sudden influx of homeless children on the streets. Not great for society.

Come on boys. I'm talking about the big name players. Put in 5 minutes effort for the young kids who will eventually buy the memberships that help pay you to do what you love to do.

Special mention to McInerny who was out there forever on the 50m arc getting selfies and signing autographs. He was the last swan to leave.

Schultz should never have been allowed to get 4 goals. Running Harry on Sonny was IMO a mistake. Fox on Sonny and Harry on Schultz a much better matchup. I think maybe Lloyd was on Switkowski? All in all their smalls got too much space.
I think Ollie might have been on Schultz

There was a LOT of players screaming at each other last night, scenes typically seen in diabolical losses. Given we were in front for nearly the entire game and ended up winning comfortably I took it as a good thing. Shows the boys aren't satisfied just winning, they want to hold each other accountable and strive to get their systems right.

So a lot of players were out of position? or zoning off their opponents?

Not crazy about either. McKay is a log, Ratugolea erratic. The best keys are locked into their clubs which is smart by them.
TBH I don't know what is the best thing to do. No other options leap to mind.
Himmelberg would be a good get but he is more a third tall than a second key. Otherwise we keep working with what we have and draft the best possible to develop.

Not crazy about either. McKay is a log, Ratugolea erratic. The best keys are locked into their clubs which is smart by them.
TBH I don't know what is the best thing to do. No other options leap to mind.
Himmelberg would be a good get but he is more a third tall than a second key. Otherwise we keep working with what we have and draft the best possible to develop.

I would like to experiment with Amartey in the backline there is no reason he cant be a good interceptor and be better than McKay and Ratugolea.

Were we leaving Amartey, Gulden etc. behind then, as well as the emergencies running laps on the ground for ages afterwards?

I’m not in charge of their travel arrangements so I just said possibly as a reason. Maybe those guys were on a later flight after ?

Do you hang around after the Taylor Swift concert too expecting a wave.
Wouldn’t worry too much about it they rushed through the song too I expect they had some agenda as they normally give a heck of a lot to the fans.

So a lot of players were out of position? or zoning off their opponents?
I mean, I couldn't really tell you. It's hard to know what they were screaming about from 50m away. But yeah it was certainly quite animated at times and they did not seem very happy with each other.

I think the fact we can't seem to decipher who was playing on who, and Freo's smalls had a big impact, suggests that defensively we just had a poor night with our structures and the boys knew it and it frustrated them. Like I said I think it's a good thing as it shows the fire is there. I've been to plenty of Freo & West Coast games this year where they've looked dysfunctional but don't seem to care about it.

D
I’m not in charge of their travel arrangements so I just said possibly as a reason. Maybe those guys were on a later flight after ?

Do you hang around after the Taylor Swift concert too expecting a wave.
Wouldn’t worry too much about it they rushed through the song too I expect they had some agenda as they normally give a heck of a lot to the fans.
Did you lose the travel arrangements gig?

So I've departed Victoria for a total of 6 games this year for a grand total of 5 wins and 1 draw. I think my travelling record is the envy of the league.

Solid performance with stand outs from Parker, J Mac and Buddy. Gulden was busy, Hayward, Logan and Heeney did some good things. Blakey had a bit of an average game. Spent the first half on Fredrickson who ran him off his legs. Tommy M looked awful at times. We really do need to bring in a quality back this off season.

Thoughts on the stadium. Weird sensation having to go up a floor to sit on the ground level. Seats good and have a cup holder. Food ok, the serving the public style doesn't work as well as the Vic style, go through the gate a grab whatever you can in the shortest space of time possible. Cheeseburger was the size a Maccas burger was 2 decades ago. In other words, about double the size of their current offering.

Freo folk were pretty quiet but are good at complaining about frees paid that are clear as day. My interesting experience was on the way to the ground having a freo supporter yell out Go Freo then follow top with, I hope you're not a muslim, you'd probably be carrying a bomb in that backpack. 1. WTF? 2. I'm the pastiest *er known to man so not sure what made him think I might be a muslim and 3. WTF again.
Do you know WA has more Racist groups than any other Aussie state. The also have the only branch of the KKK in Aus. Started by an American Expat. Sorry to hear you were targeted be an ignorant pig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back