Star Wars Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018) -- Spoiler Tags and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Like, the magician movie that was just on telly. Pretty much all white people, but one of the main magicians was a girl.

I honestly can't name one female magician, I'm not big on magic but I can think of at least half a dozen big names in magic - all men.

Sent from mTalk
Is this Harry Potter? Hermione..?

I don't recall it being dropped in the movies?

Lucas liked to give nods to the EU, I'm sceptical Disney would because then they'd have to pay for the rights. Not something necessary under the old arrangements. See Thrawn and buying off the author with a new book deal.

Sent from mTalk
Why would they have to pay for the rights? Huh? They own Lucas Film.

They didn't pay him off.. They realised it was a good opportunity to sell more books. Why the hell would you think Zahn owns the rights to Thrawn?

Why would they have to pay for the rights? Huh? They own Lucas Film.

They didn't pay him off.. They realised it was a good opportunity to sell more books. Why the hell would you think Zahn owns the rights to Thrawn?

Difference between Lucasarts and Lucasfilm.

Sent from mTalk

Difference between Lucasarts and Lucasfilm.

Sent from mTalk
No there isn't. Disney own all the rights to the EU.

Also for the record Lucas Arts does the video games not the books.

No there isn't. Disney own all the rights to the EU.

Also for the record Lucas Arts does the video games not the books.

It licensed alot of the books. It didn't own them.

According to Zahn, Lou Aronica of Bantam Spectra had negotiated the book deal with LucasArts in 1989, and the publisher put Zahn's name at the top of their list of possible authors. He said, "My original instructions from LucasArts consisted of exactly two rules: the books were to start 3–5 years after Return of the Jedi, and I couldn't use anyone who'd been explicitly killed off in the movies."

Sent from mTalk

It licensed alot of the books. It didn't own them.

According to Zahn, Lou Aronica of Bantam Spectra had negotiated the book deal with LucasArts in 1989, and the publisher put Zahn's name at the top of their list of possible authors. He said, "My original instructions from LucasArts consisted of exactly two rules: the books were to start 3–5 years after Return of the Jedi, and I couldn't use anyone who'd been explicitly killed off in the movies."

Sent from mTalk
I dunno what to say to you, but they can absolutely use whatever they want from the books. Corellia is also mentioned in A New Hope..

I dunno what to say to you, but they can absolutely use whatever they want from the books. Corellia is also mentioned in A New Hope..

Thrawn is absolutely Zahn's IP. No way he could have been used without consent, and sometimes consent has to be paid for.

Sent from mTalk

Thrawn is absolutely Zahn's IP. No way he could have been used without consent, and sometimes consent has to be paid for.

Sent from mTalk
So you've gone from saying he was paid off with a book deal to "sometimes they have to pay". You reckon GL paid Zahn to use Coruscant in the movies?

Why were Disney able to rebrand the EU if they don't own the rights? "

You going to address the fact corellia is named in ANH?

Doesn't sound like he was paid, he was just told "We're using Thrawn".
dabf650ea921829797ce5f01ee553393.jpg

Disney changed the planet Korriban to Morabund. Same planet. Korriban in Legends, Morabund in new EU. But why did they change that name?

Whereas Corellia has always been Corellia and oft-mentioned in the films/cartoons that are part of Canon too, not just Legends.
Because they wanted to change the name of the planet of origin. They've kept plenty of obscure planet and species names, so who knows why?

They seem intent on being distinct, that doesn't mean they don't own the ip like the above example of Thrawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think authors own anything. An author can write in a new character, into SW lore, but he doesn't own it, LF do.

Exactly my point lol. Seemed you were arguing against it with the Korriban point.

Exactly my point lol. Seemed you were arguing against it with the Korriban point.
No I was just asking why they changed that planets name.

And confirming that Corellia has always been that in both legends and official canon (the movies for instance) so they wouldn't (even couldn't for the sake of continuity) change that name.

No I was just asking why they changed that planets name.

And confirming that Corellia has always been that in both legends and official canon (the movies for instance) so they wouldn't (even couldn't for the sake of continuity) change that name.

Well it's like making Jakku instead of using Tatooine, Hosnian Prime instead of Coruscant, etc. Just wanted to be different for the sake of it. Glad it wasn't Coruscant that got blown up though! :)

Well it's like making Jakku instead of using Tatooine, Hosnian Prime instead of Coruscant, etc. Just wanted to be different for the sake of it. Glad it wasn't Coruscant that got blown up though! :)
Morabund IS Korriban tho. Same exact planet. It'd be like them changing Tatooine to Jakku, where it's the same exact planet. But not like that because I don't Korriban was ever in official canon, just Legends. But that planet was brought up and shown in TCW and Rebels, except LF (not Disney) made the change to Morabund because TCW was during the time of George Lucas, not Disney ownership.

Morabund IS Korriban tho. Same exact planet. It'd be like them changing Tatooine to Jakku, where it's the same exact planet. But not like that because I don't Korriban was ever in official canon, just Legends. But that planet was brought up and shown in TCW and Rebels, except LF (not Disney) made the change to Morabund because TCW was during the time of George Lucas, not Disney ownership.

No I know, just pointing to other cases where they've avoided using existing canon.

It's like when they altered the Mandalore that had been depicted by Traviss that made her hissy fit and leave.

So you've gone from saying he was paid off with a book deal to "sometimes they have to pay". You reckon GL paid Zahn to use Coruscant in the movies?

Why were Disney able to rebrand the EU if they don't own the rights? "

You going to address the fact corellia is named in ANH?

I don't recall but if it's dropped then so it is. I don't think it changes what has become the bigger discussion.

Do you think Lucas had a different relation with his EU material, than Disney with that same material?

GL wants to use your IP, vs Disney, who dismissed it?

Of course you don't always have to pay for consent. I'm suggesting that Zahn wanted something for the use of his character that was picked up out of the bin and favourable arrangement for all parties resulted.

Sent from mTalk

I don't recall but if it's dropped then so it is. I don't think it changes what has become the bigger discussion.

Do you think Lucas had a different relation with his EU material, than Disney with that same material?

Of course you don't always have to pay for consent. I'm suggesting that Zahn wanted something for the use of his character that was picked up out of the bin and favourable arrangement for all parties resulted.

Sent from mTalk

Absolutely not.

Zahn was grateful to see any of his characters or locations used. All of which belonged to Lucasfilm - who themselves owned Lucas Arts. The book deal was because they were, for once, incredibly smart and knew that getting Zahn on board to write the origin story would sell like hot cakes, and it did.

Like I already posted, Zahn was told his character was being used, and he was stoked. He didn't get a say in it.

Sent from mTalk
Zahn would sign a contract to write a Star Wars book but that book (and all associated characters) would belong to Lucas (now Disney). He's playing in their sandbox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back