Star Wars Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018) -- Spoiler Tags and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you actually read posts to the end, or do you get blinded by your own intelligence and start posting after the first sentence. I ask that because I stated quite clearly on more than one occasion that Solo was a box office disaster and flop, but simply refuted edgie's idea that no one turned out to see the movie. Now you wager Hulk didn't lose money because it would have been shot with a modest budget when I posted immediately above that it's budget was $150m and it made $263m worldwide, which is very comparable to Solo.

I wasn't actually responding to you mate. But hey, carry on getting red-faced about the fact you completely misunderstood my point about it being a bomb.

I could ask the same of the other side. You say, at best, half the people who saw the film thought it was mediocre. At best. You're starting from a completely false premise that takes RT and BF as accurate representations while ignoring critical reviews, audience tracking, IMDB score, box office etc. It's almost impossible to gather what mainstream fans thought outside of anecdotes but arguing that the loudest voices online must be correct is not a good place to start.

As for the second point, I agree with you. There are many reasons Solo failed. My comments about box office and expectation were to describe why it is a financial flop. If it wasn't a Star Wars movie and hadn't costs more than $250m to make, $350m would be a success. It's one of the top 10 most attended movies at the US box office this year. The point wasn't to say it wasn't a financial disaster, of course it was, it was in response to the idea that everyone stayed home and refused to watch the film because they hated TLJ.

If if wasn’t a Star Wars movie, it would be a success....

But it is.

JackOutback said...

The point wasn't to say it wasn't a financial disaster, of course it was, it was in response to the idea that everyone stayed home and refused to watch the film because they hated TLJ.

Most audiences who attend Star Wars movies are hardcore SW fans. They number at %73 apparently going by RLM. Or even %79, I can't remember.

Thus, Solo was a disaster BECAUSE disgruntled hardcore fans refused to attend as they normally do. There was a division after all due to the aftermath of TLJ. Only probably half of that %79 did attend, because they were happy carrying on. But probably half took up the sword of boycotting and being anti-Kennedy as a way to make a statement to Disney about doing something. It is VERY apparent that indeed the hardcore fanbase WAS divided, and one half of them DID boycott due to TLJ/Kennedy. Why else would there be a division and a literal mathematical half result of takings at the box office unless it was a boycott due to TLJ/Kennedy.

JackOutback said...

The point wasn't to say it wasn't a financial disaster, of course it was, it was in response to the idea that everyone stayed home and refused to watch the film because they hated TLJ.

Most audiences who attend Star Wars movies are hardcore SW fans. They number at %73 apparently going by RLM. Or even %79, I can't remember.

Thus, Solo was a disaster BECAUSE disgruntled hardcore fans refused to attend as they normally do. There was a division after all due to the aftermath of TLJ. Only probably half of that %79 did attend, because they were happy carrying on. But probably half took up the sword of boycotting and being anti-Kennedy as a way to make a statement to Disney about doing something. It is VERY apparent that indeed the hardcore fanbase WAS divided, and one half of them DID boycott due to TLJ/Kennedy. Why else would there be a division and a literal mathematical half result of takings at the box office unless it was a boycott due to TLJ/Kennedy.

So many leaps of logic in here. I know you have a personal agenda against TLJ and Kennedy but sheesh man...repeatedly saying it MUST be because of a boycott isn't going to make it true. Solo was announced long before TLJ and the response to it was lukewarm back then.

So many leaps of logic in here. I know you have a personal agenda against TLJ and Kennedy but sheesh man...repeatedly saying it MUST be because of a boycott isn't going to make it true. Solo was announced long before TLJ and the response to it was lukewarm back then.
GG logic 101

TLJ made about 1b roughly
SOLO made about 500m roughly
TLJ split the hardcore fanbase, such that one half took up a sword, boycotts, death-threats, petitions, etc etc.
500m = roughly %50 of 1b

GG logic 101

TLJ made about 1b roughly
SOLO made about 500m roughly
TLJ split the hardcore fanbase, such that one half took up a sword, boycotts, death-threats, petitions, etc etc.
500m = roughly %50 of 1b

Solo hasn't even made 400m.

Solo hasn't even made 400m.

Only 200m to date domestically (USA) -- takings from Box Office.

Internationally probably only 300m? Finishing up its run perhaps at 400m??

Roughly %50 of TLJ....but worse given the boycotting IS real and strong among hardcore fans. The TLJ division probably not even 50:50 but perhaps more like 60:40 or even 75:25

I think that's drawing a pretty long bow. I just don't think a Solo movie was ever warranted or ever had much hype from any corner of the population and that's now reflected in it's box office figures. I'd take a punt that a Fett movie would have bombed just as much, if not more. Even a Kenobi movie may have struggled.

I just don't think single character based spin-offs have much appeal in general for the Star Wars universe. Marvel is an entirely different beast.

The Star Wars train lost a s**t tonne of momentum going in to Solo, more momentum even that TPM to AOTC to ROTS. I don't think it's a long bow at all. As I've said, nerd culture is at peak mainstream and the studio wanted to strike while the iron is hot with a yearly SW movie. Then they shot the iron to Mars and it's very cold now. It is not hitting the number they wanted, just like TLJ, regardless of whether or not they are good numbers in the bigger picture, scheme of things.

JackOutback said...

93% of statistics are made up, 86% of people know that. I don't know where those figures are supposed to come from but no way they are true. Movies like TFA and IW don't make $2b off the back of hardcore fans unless you are being very generous with your definition of hardcore (i.e. they've seen most of the movies but never watched a TV show, read a book, comic = hardcore).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, are we really arguing Solo isn't a flop?

Flat Earthers have taken over BF it seems.

Sorry, are we really arguing Solo isn't a flop?

Flat Earthers have taken over BF it seems.
Literally noone has said it is not a flop, it's a disingenuous debating tactic. Edgie implied no one went to see it because they hated TLJ. I simply pointed out plenty of people had to see it to make $350m. That of course is not enough for a film of its size. Enter the peanut gallery trying to twist it into 'not a bomb'. Not once have I or anyone else called it anything other than a financial flop for Lucasfilm.

Last edited:
Literally noone has said it is not a flop, it's a disingenuous debating tactic. Edgie implied no one went to see it because they hated TLJ. I simply pointed out plenty of people had to see it to make $350m. That of course is not enough for a film of its size. Enter the peanut gallery trying to twist it into 'not a bomb'. Not once have I or anyone else called it anything other than a financial flop for Lucasfilm.
Desperate to argue anything aren't you? :$

Huge news, they're bleeding

I don’t think so. They made a a mistake making a movie no one wanted to really see. If it was an Obi Wan movie, even with TLJ backlash, it would have made good money.

They have to stop, work out a game plan and also look at how to make these things for less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back