Star Wars Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018) -- Spoiler Tags and Rumors

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure where to post this, but maybe Solo rather than TLJ where I put it before:

KK will be around for a few years to come. She'll oversee Episode 9 and assist with the introduction of the streaming platform. Assume that the KK era starts with TFA and ends with Episode 9 - there's four financial successes (Episode 9 will still rake it in) and one flop which is a pretty good tenure.

Using Palpatine foreseeing skills:

From 2020-2023 there'll be a transition period where the reins will be given to someone else, where the streaming service fills the void with a new animated series and live action features before a new cinematic trilogy begins in 2023. This trilogy will be released in 2023, 2025 and 2027 (the third instalment coinciding with the 50th anniversary of ANH for those sweet marketing dollars).

KK will be around for a few years to come. She'll oversee Episode 9 and assist with the introduction of the streaming platform. Assume that the KK era starts with TFA and ends with Episode 9 - there's four financial successes (Episode 9 will still rake it in) and one flop which is a pretty good tenure.

Using Palpatine foreseeing skills:

From 2020-2023 there'll be a transition period where the reins will be given to someone else, where the streaming service fills the void with a new animated series and live action features before a new cinematic trilogy begins in 2023. This trilogy will be released in 2023, 2025 and 2027 (the third instalment coinciding with the 50th anniversary of ANH for those sweet marketing dollars).
I'm not convinced IX will make bank.

I'm not convinced IX will make bank.

Depends on a lot of variables.

Solo is easy to pick as the boycott SJW film as it directly followed TLJ, directly wasn't really required, demanded, asked and basically 90% reshoot so had a shocking run in despite then having tick the box where you could really guess the entire film. IX is different in that will people really not show up because of what Disney & KK have done? Is there staying power to it or will the "JJ save us" momentum grow and overpower it?

I mean personally TLJ killed my interest in "new" wars, could not care less about IX and how they try and fix or continue that s**t show, nor what they plan to do with supposed origin movies in the interim or otherwise, but can certainly see an initial influx leading to a massive drop off if it is anything like the TLJ reception.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
As in....if people knew TLJ was going to be such a turd, it probably only would've made 500-700m.

Also, remember, the leaks were non-existent, and also remember everyone was saying "you have to see it twice or three times to really get it". So tons of people went back multiple times which bloated sales.

So, if leaks come out for IX and people see it's a turd, or upsets the fanbase again, people wont go see it as much. If there are zero leaks, then everyone will watch it simply to see where it goes. They'll take the gamble it's not going to be a divisive turd. But if there are zero leaks and then people realize it IS a divisive turd, you wont get people going back to watch it two or three times, like they did with TLJ. They'd have learned.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t think so. They made a a mistake making a movie no one wanted to really see. If it was an Obi Wan movie, even with TLJ backlash, it would have made good money.

They have to stop, work out a game plan and also look at how to make these things for less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
why would fans want to see an obi wan movie over a solo movie? Solo is many peoples favourite star wars character. Obi wan was a minor character who
already has had 3 prequels about him.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think so. They made a a mistake making a movie no one wanted to really see. If it was an Obi Wan movie, even with TLJ backlash, it would have made good money.

They have to stop, work out a game plan and also look at how to make these things for less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, they ****ed it.

Solo is the second most loved SW character after Luke - he couldn’t carry a movie because it was a s**t movie and TLJ pissed everyone off.

It wasn't a star wars movie, it was just set in the same universe and that's what I liked about it.

More normal people and not focusing around force sensitive characters like that's all anyone ever daydreamed about being.

IX could flop too and they will have to have a serious think about their direction, that could be great for movies, it could be terrible if they double down.

why would fans want to see an obi wan movie over a solo movie? Solo is many peoples favourite star wars character. Obi wan was a minor character who
already has had 3 prequels about him.

Because McGregor is almost as iconic in the role as Guiness, and anything to strengthen the ties to the Prequels, despite what some think, is actually a good thing. Having Jimmy Smits in Rogue One was fantastic.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon IX will make 1b. Simply because everyone will want to see how it finishes. Not to mention the hype train pre-release. Not that the movie necessarily will be good. Just like how TLJ made 1b on the back of people being excited to see where TFA went in the next installment.

They nailed that period between TFA and pre-TLJ - overwhelming success and mystery boxes in TFA to create rampant fan speculation, crazy success with R1 largely due to some well executed fan service, and a TLJ marketing campaign which built plenty of hype and excitement without revealing anything major about it. Going into Episode IX, they hit a huge financial success with mixed opinions in TLJ, which didn't end with nearly as much anticipation compared to TFA, and the failed venture in Solo, something that was not in high demand and was plagued with issues pre-release.

Assuming there's nothing released from now until Episode IX, it will be interesting to see the approach regarding marketing and building hype. SW Celebration isn't until April 2019, which means a teaser trailer would surely need to be revealed later on this year. Not releasing any material or footage from Episode IX until Celebration would not bode well IMO. A teaser that tries to win back disgruntled fans and generates excitement for the remaining fanbase (as well as the general public) should be the main priority right now.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
The ball was dropped here.

First a soft reboot. Why the hell a soft reboot?

No heart or creativity (anus eyes lady?? or penis man?). Just for $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The ball was dropped here.

First a soft reboot. Why the hell a soft reboot?

No heart or creativity (anus eyes lady?? or penis man?). Just for $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Soft reboot because they junked the canon into "legends" and went "we can do better".

Then promptly jumped the shark to go root a dog or something else tragic.

The plot was hard to follow , as in such i don't think there actually WAS one.....

Best LOL's were l3 yelling at the robots fighting each other and Lando taking off seconds after Han said there was a bunch of soldiers onboard just waiting for his signal.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
The plot was hard to follow , as in such i don't think there actually WAS one.....

Best LOL's were l3 yelling at the robots fighting each other and Lando taking off seconds after Han said there was a bunch of soldiers onboard just waiting for his signal.

I was thinking Lando was a figment of my imagination. In the mediocre 'The Force Awakens' and the downright awful 'The Last Jedi' I don't recall them even mentioning what became of Lando, not even in passing. But given the abysmal way the old characters from the original trilogy were handled in the new films, that might be a good thing.

I was thinking Lando was a figment of my imagination. In the mediocre 'The Force Awakens' and the downright awful 'The Last Jedi' I don't recall them even mentioning what became of Lando, not even in passing. But given the abysmal way the old characters from the original trilogy were handled in the new films, that might be a good thing.

Isn't Lando in the next film?

Back