Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
He told Kylo, 'see you round, kid'. I like the idea Luke as Beetlejuice, haunting him.
images-63.jpg

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Interesting, I thought it was fun and breezy, assumed it would still be so.

I'll probably pick up the DVD at some point and give it a rewatch.

I was surprised how flat it all was the second time around.

I was sort of hoping for RO type rewatchability.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Question:

Does anybody think the new Han origins is an improvement on original EU?
Is it really that much different? Lived on the streets, joined the Academy, left when he rescued Chewbacca, met Lando and went on adventures. I think the difference is Han's story is fleshed out across plenty of books in the EU, including a dedicated trilogy, whereas we had just one film to get through it all; the difference between short- and long-form storytelling, I guess.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Still haven't watched it. Might watch it near Christmas to emulate the event feel the 3 movies before had.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Is it really that much different? Lived on the streets, joined the Academy, left when he rescued Chewbacca, met Lando and went on adventures. I think the difference is Han's story is fleshed out across plenty of books in the EU, including a dedicated trilogy, whereas we had just one film to get through it all; the difference between short- and long-form storytelling, I guess.

Is that your answer, to not answer?

The original Chewbacca meeting and fleeing the Empire was superior.

Sent from mTalk

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Is that your answer, to not answer?

The original Chewbacca meeting and fleeing the Empire was superior.

Sent from mTalk
Han's overall origin in the books is better because they have more freedom to write longer stories. But I quite liked the Han and Chewie meeting in the movie. Hard to say if it's better or worse, just different. Bringing it down to individual plot beats isn't really fair.

Question:

Does anybody think the new Han origins is an improvement on original EU?

Aren't they pretty similar?

EDIT: I agree that the Chewie meeting was better in the EU, the guff with his last name wasn't needed, etc. But on the whole I'm glad they stuck to the broad brushes of the EU origins.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
The rescue of Chewie fell a bit flat for me, I was hoping for something better.

It was a serviceable scene if that makes sense. But compared to the EU version of it, it didn’t stack up.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
The origin of Han "Solo" was just the worst lol

Unless that was canon before this movie. In which case it is still terrible

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Agreed, the 'Solo' call was terrible. Went from just being a cool name to a poor play on words.

How does something so cringey make it through first pass of the script

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Interesting, I thought it was fun and breezy, assumed it would still be so.

I'll probably pick up the DVD at some point and give it a rewatch.
I wasn't watching with as much attention as I should have been but I think it seemed to get worse the 2nd time unfortunately.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched this again last night; still largely enjoyed it. It's hardly subtle, but I actually enjoyed the spaceport scene at the beginning, it manages a little world-building the families being separated in the background, showing a government becoming harsher, falling apart, corruption sneaking in. Still liked the Han and Chewie introduction. Hearing that Lord and Miller created that scene makes me intrigued for what they could have made.

The beats that missed still miss: the name, Maul, L3 at first (though Kessel is not so bad). It does feel a little drawn out and Lando is underused.

While a cinematic follow-up is out of the question, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. Lower the sights, lower the budget (the key players are signed up and wouldn't cost that much, one would think) and make an event film to launch the Disney streaming channel.

Last edited:

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Watched this again last night; still largely enjoyed it. It's hardly subtle, but I actually enjoyed the spaceport scene at the beginning, it manages a little world-building the families being separated in the background, showing a government becoming harsher, falling apart, corruption sneaking in. Still liked the Han and Chewie introduction. Hearing that Lord and Miller created that scene makes me intrigued for what they could have made.

The beats that missed still miss: the name, Maul, L3 at first (though Kessel is not so bad). It does feel a little drawn out and Lando is underused.

I've tried not to be too down on Solo. This poor child was strangled at birth by its umbilical chord.

But if I had to put my finger on its biggest let down, Han and Lando's relationship would be it.

Geez. It could have been Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. A rollicking good Love-hate buddy film.

Instead we got Han swept up in that terrible Kira love(?) story, and Lando was just there for droid sex. :'(

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
They should have got someone who at least remotely sounded like Han and Emilia Clarke can’t act.

Back